• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Meet new OC Jeff Nixon (puke)

Cdparr7

24 minutes ago, Zod said:

What a coincidence that the best man for the job is Rhule's high school buddy!

Meh, who else could it be on such short notice?   We weren't going to go outside the organization to hire someone for five games, and I assume that virtually everyone on the staff is a Rhule selection so it was going to be someone that Rhule selected previously.  And Nixon seems to have the most polished resume of the bunch.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Meh, who else could it be on such short notice?   We weren't going to go outside the organization to hire someone for five games, and I assume that virtually everyone on the staff is a Rhule selection so it was going to be someone that Rhule selected previously.  And Nixon seems to have the most polished resume of the bunch.

Sean Ryan's actually got more pro level experience (14 years to 9) as well as a more diversified pro skill set (quarterbacks, runningbacks and receivers vs runningbacks and tight ends).

Nixon's technically been a coordinator, but it was actually a co-coordinator, and even that only for three seasons at the college level.

54 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Sean Ryan's actually got more pro level experience (14 years to 9) as well as a more diversified pro skill set (quarterbacks, runningbacks and receivers vs runningbacks and tight ends).

Nixon's technically been a coordinator, but it was actually a co-coordinator, and even that only for three seasons at the college level.

Even so, its still meh. Not enough of a difference to matter much.  Either of them have more experience than Brady.  

Plus, his last job was with the Lions.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II

1 minute ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Even so, its still meh. Not enough of a difference to matter much.  Either of them have more experience than Brady.  

Plus, his last job was with the Lions.  

From a profile of Matt Rhule by Joe Person in The Athletic...

Rhule also liked the friendships that were forged on a football field, some of which last a lifetime. Jeff Nixon, State College’s star running back and Rhule’s best friend, is the Panthers’ running backs coach on Rhule’s first NFL staff.

Link

Nixon worked under Andy Reid for 4 years on damn good football teams.  Then worked with a solid RB group for years in Miami.  Y’all act like we could go out and get someone off the street for a few weeks.  I’ll take an Andy Reid understudy over a former Lions coach any day.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

From a profile of Matt Rhule by Joe Person in The Athletic...

Rhule also liked the friendships that were forged on a football field, some of which last a lifetime. Jeff Nixon, State College’s star running back and Rhule’s best friend, is the Panthers’ running backs coach on Rhule’s first NFL staff.

Link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Ryan_(American_football_coach)#Detroit_Lions_(2019–2020)

On January 29, 2019, Ryan was hired by the Detroit Lions to be their quarterbacks coach under head coach Matt Patricia.[8] He was the interim offensive play caller for the team's week 16 game in 2020 against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers due to interim head coach Darrell Bevell missing the game under COVID-19 protocols.

What it doesn't say, they lost the Tampa game 47-7

And then there was this gem.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/401220318

23 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Don't really know that much can be learned from a single game sample where the words "under head coach Matt Patricia" are applicable.

Regardless, I don't know whether Sean Ryan would make a good OC. I don't know whether Jeff Nixon is going to make a good OC yet either.

I just know that if you're going strictly by resumés, Ryan's is better.

59 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Don't really know that much can be learned from a single game sample where the words "under head coach Matt Patricia" are applicable.

Regardless, I don't know whether Sean Ryan would make a good OC. I don't know whether Jeff Nixon is going to make a good OC yet either.

I just know that if you're going strictly by resumés, Ryan's is better.

Depends on how you read resume's.  Years of experience are to me less important than quality of experience, and Jeff Nixon's three years with Reid trumps anything on Ryan's. Of course, in the end, the actual difference is rather small.  

But I think (and this is not directed at you, but to the audience at large) it seems a strange thing for so many of the board patrons to be so concerned about Rhule hiring a guy he likes, who may only be here for five games.  Almost all coaches hire their buddies/friends/former coworkers/people they are comfortable with as coordinators.  I thought Ruhle hiring Brady was odd due to Brady's lack of experience and the fact that Ruhle hadn't worked with him much.  This actually seems more normal.      

Edited by Davidson Deac II

5 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Depends on how you read resume's.  Years of experience are to me less important than quality of experience, and Jeff Nixon's three years with Reid trumps anything on Ryan's. Of course, in the end, the actual difference is rather small.  

But I think (and this is not directed at you, but to the audience at large) it seems a strange thing for so many of the board patrons to be so concerned about Rhule hiring a guy he likes, who may only be here for five games.  Almost all coaches hire their buddies/friends/former coworkers/people they are comfortable with as coordinators.  I thought Ruhle hiring Brady was odd due to Brady's lack of experience and the fact that Ruhle hadn't worked with him much.  This actually seems more normal.      

I have zero problems with head coaches hiring guys they like or who have worked for them before if those guys are also qualified for / good at their jobs.

When the head coach isn't good at his, that lessens the likelihood that the assistants will be.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I have zero problems with head coaches hiring guys they like or who have worked for them before if those guys are also qualified for / good at their jobs.

When the head coach isn't good at his, that lessens the likelihood that the assistants will be.

I agree completely, and no I don't trust Rhule.

I just distrust him equally regardless of who from our current staff fills in as interim OC.