• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule isn’t to blame for Cam

rmoneyg35

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Similar thought: For whatever you think about Darnold, if he was going to be rebuilt it wasn't going to be by this staff.

This staff was definitely doing him no favors. However, what I saw from Darnold was terrible decisions when he actually had time. The same decisions he made on the Jets and at USC. I don’t think he is capable of being the guy, but yeah this staff wasn’t capable of helping him in any way. 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

This staff was definitely doing him no favors. However, what I saw from Darnold was terrible decisions when he actually had time. The same decisions he made on the Jets and at USC. I don’t think he is capable of being the guy, but yeah this staff wasn’t capable of helping him in any way. 

He might not be.

For my part, I don't think the first four games were an illusion. He was genuinely doing good work.

The concern I have is how quickly it all broke down. You just can't be fragile in the NFL.

And yes, it's valid that the team screwed up majorly in the way that they built the offensive line. Still...

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

6 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Cam isn't the reason why every QB that has played for this team under Rhule has looked horrendous.

This is Rhule's team, he built it and ultimately he is responsible.

Plug in another QB into Rhule's offense and chances are they'll struggle as well.

To be fair Teddy didnt look horrendous and in hindsight he should have been given one more season

In hindsight Teddy should've never been signed to that contract because he's a good backup caliber QB. I screamed to high heavens on both the Teddy and Darnold moves that we were making huge mistakes investing way too many resources into guys who weren't the answer. Now we have significant cap tied up in a junk QB room and our draft capital is gutted.

10 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

To be fair Teddy didnt look horrendous and in hindsight he should have been given one more season

Teddy certainly looked better than any other QB under Rhule.  Bridgewater had the misfortune of being the first QB, so we didn't have any perspective to appreciate how bad things could really get. 

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Teddy certainly has looked better than any other QB under Rhule.  Bridgewater had the misfortune of being the first QB, so we didn't have the perspective to appreciate how bad things could get. 

Oh I knew, trust me brother my memory is not that short that I know what happens if a qb comes in and he sucks. 

Look, I believe Cam has seen his best days. He definitely can't operate anything near efficiently with a terrible line because he unfortunately never mastered the mechanics of the position that would enable him to overcome terrible protection at a time when his physical skills were noticeably deteriorating (as in now). That being said, I think he would do a lot better behind a decent line, and under coaches who actually know how to put him (and other players) into a position to succeed by understanding his weaknesses and strengths (and those of the team as a whole). 

For me, the thing that is the most telling about Cam is his seeming inability to push the ball down field. He doesn't appear to be able to do that. But I think he could do well enough to at least be a high level backup if he's in a decent situation (as discussed above).

All that being said, I have no illusions that Sam Darnold is better than Newton. For me, that's crazy talk. Cam may be a gradually broken QB (ironically because of this franchise's mismanagement of him), but he came into the league and lit it up. Darnold has done nothing but be a deer in the headlights.

• Beer 1