• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule should be one of four head coaches to see early Black Monday

NAS

Good article   https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/matt-nagy-david-culley-joe-judge-matt-rhule/

Rhule should probably send Urban Meyer a nice floral arrangement — were it not for Meyer’s historically awful mis-steps, we’d be talking a lot more about how Rhule has mangled things with the Panthers, and proven to be in over his head as a longtime college coach with very little NFL experience (Rhule was the Giants’ assistant offensive line coach in 2012).

Like Judge, Rhule was handed a weird quarterback situation, and he made it weirder. Like Judge, he blamed his offensive coordinator (Joe Brady) for the offense’s issues, fired that offensive coordinator, and saw no improvement after that move. And like Judge, he has a 10-20 record after nearly two seasons at the head of things.

Rhule’s commitment to a two-quarterback system with Cam Newton and P.J. Walker — a conceit that has never worked well whenever anyone in the NFL has ever tried it — should be the last straw for owner David Tepper, who needs to get rolling on Rhule’s replacement

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 4

4 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I just can't imagine Tepper doubling down on Rhule after this season.  If he's not convinced he made a mistake after this abomination I fear this is just the beginning of a spiral into darkness the likes of which we haven't seen...ever.

Agreed, but there was a time when I couldn't imagine him stupidly hanging on to Marty Hurney either and that happened, so... 😕

• Beer 6

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

To be clear, Farrar is listing this as something that he believes ought to happen, not something that he's predicting will happen.

You said yourself that we should get ready for a rough period. Is this what you were thinking? Personally, I didn’t think it would be this bad, but I still think he gets another year. 4273699A-FDB1-4BE8-9132-2303FAEAD871.thumb.png.f0fde3cf47752e50e929669d134e7215.png

19 minutes ago, NAS said:

Good article   https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/matt-nagy-david-culley-joe-judge-matt-rhule/

Rhule should probably send Urban Meyer a nice floral arrangement — were it not for Meyer’s historically awful mis-steps, we’d be talking a lot more about how Rhule has mangled things with the Panthers, and proven to be in over his head as a longtime college coach with very little NFL experience (Rhule was the Giants’ assistant offensive line coach in 2012).

Like Judge, Rhule was handed a weird quarterback situation, and he made it weirder. Like Judge, he blamed his offensive coordinator (Joe Brady) for the offense’s issues, fired that offensive coordinator, and saw no improvement after that move. And like Judge, he has a 10-20 record after nearly two seasons at the head of things.

Rhule’s commitment to a two-quarterback system with Cam Newton and P.J. Walker — a conceit that has never worked well whenever anyone in the NFL has ever tried it — should be the last straw for owner David Tepper, who needs to get rolling on Rhule’s replacement

Well it is nice to see that this is in the regular media.  Tepper might not read the huddle but it is hard to miss the regular media.  

I'd like to see it happen before the early coach finding rule takes effect.

9 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I just can't imagine Tepper doubling down on Rhule after this season.  If he's not convinced he made a mistake after this abomination I fear this is just the beginning of a spiral into darkness the likes of which we haven't seen...ever.

The long night and 7 year winter is ahead 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Well it is nice to see that this is in the regular media.  Tepper might not read the huddle but it is hard to miss the regular media.  

I'd like to see it happen before the early coach finding rule takes effect.

It's all over the regular media.

If you search for 'NFL coaches on the hot seat', you'll find pretty much every article prominently mentions Rhule.

The Panthers have some good young talent.  However they are not getting any better.  Jeremy Chinn (2020 all rookie team) and Derrick Brown (SEC Defensive POY) are both regressing and getting worse.  And the entire 2021 rookie class is barely playing. 

I think that's the best argument for Rhule getting fired:  lack of player development on a team that's supposed to be rebuilding.  

• Pie 5
  • Flames 3

On a related note  Will new interview rule trigger a wave of firings?

For the first time ever, NFL franchises will be permitted to officially commence interviewing assistant coaches from other teams with time left in the regular season. As of Monday, December 27, the window opens on virtual interviews.

There’s an important catch. The teams that will be interviewing assistants from other teams must have a vacancy, or the coach must have been told that he’ll be gone after the season ends. Will this spark a wave of firings beginning, frankly, as soon as today?

Two teams, the Raiders and Jaguars, already have a head start. Other teams, if they know they will be making a change, may decide to get a head start of their own, by firing the head coach sooner than later. So if they’re going to do it next Monday, why not clear the decks now?

Four weeks ago, a Pulitzer-winning reporter claimed that Bears coach Matt Nagy would be fired after the Thanksgiving game at Detroit. If the Bears have decided to make a move after the season (whether they should is a different issue), why wait?

The more realistic possibility would be to make the move after the Week 16 games, setting the stage to embark on interview efforts on Monday morning. This timeline, however, creates an awkward and antsy and not-so-Merry Christmas for plenty of coaches and their families, who will now be bracing for the axe to fall earlier than usual.

Regardless, the window is opening. Who will be the first one to be thrown through it?

Edited by NAS