• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who to draft....

musicman

2 hours ago, AU-panther said:

You don't draft a QB to win now.  If anything, it's the opposite, you sign a vet QB and draft a lineman to protect him.

Nobody expects you to win with a rookie QB.  The only way you save your job with a rookie is showing improvement over the season.

I’ve said this countless times. The most common approach lately is to take your QB and then develop a line around him like Herbert, Burrow, Murray and the Browns tried with Baker (he just may not be the guy). A line can be adjusted in the offseason a solid FA and some late round guards. They won’t be top 10, but BC is looking good at LT again with Moton at RT are good starting points. The only question this year is if there is a QB worth a top 10 pick or not. 

On 12/23/2021 at 8:27 AM, Harbingers said:

Center is huge. No aging vet replacement there. I’d go C > Tackle. See if Christiansen(spelling) can actually play Tackle next year. 

get outta here with that terrible opinion!  dont you know, HiS aRmS aRe To ShOrT!!  ITS LIKE SOMEONE GLUED HIS WRISTS TO HIS SHOULDERS!  IF YOU PUT HIM THERE YOU MIGHT AS WELL FORFEIT!  EVEN WORSE, RHULES WIFE WILL BE SAD IF WE EVEN CONSIDER THAT!!!!.../sarcasm

22 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I’ve said this countless times. The most common approach lately is to take your QB and then develop a line around him like Herbert, Burrow, Murray and the Browns tried with Baker (he just may not be the guy). A line can be adjusted in the offseason a solid FA and some late round guards. They won’t be top 10, but BC is looking good at LT again with Moton at RT are good starting points. The only question this year is if there is a QB worth a top 10 pick or not. 

I'm not saying not to draft a QB, my response was to someone saying that Rhule will try to save his job by drafting a QB.

Rookie QBs don't save jobs.

I actually agree with you, all this talk about building a line first is stupid.  QBs are too hard to find, you get one when you can and you build around him after.  The line is the easy part.

12 minutes ago, bobcat91 said:

If you can tell me which Alabama OT that has panned out I'm willing to listen. He is way overrated and a bust waiting to happen

Jedrick Wills 
Jonah Williams (he has had a bounce back year)
Cam Robinson 

Scout the player, not the helmet.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Verge said:

Jedrick Wills 
Jonah Williams (he has had a bounce back year)
Cam Robinson 

Scout the player, not the helmet.

None of these are anything but average players. I expect all pro from the #5 pick. You see a guy in Alabama's system which is filled with dominate players. 

32 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I'm not saying not to draft a QB, my response was to someone saying that Rhule will try to save his job by drafting a QB.

Rookie QBs don't save jobs.

I actually agree with you, all this talk about building a line first is stupid.  QBs are too hard to find, you get one when you can and you build around him after.  The line is the easy part.

If a Peyton Manning, John Elway, Andrew Luck type player is on the board you need to grab him. No one questions that.  This year there isn’t that type of QB available so  it would be wise to nab a top rated lineman while we can. If you think you can find two offensive line starters later in the 1st or 2nd round I’d trade the pick to get some extra draft choices.

One of the the worst thing you can do is overdraft a quarterback in the top 10.  

12 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

If a Peyton Manning, John Elway, Andrew Luck type player is on the board you need to grab him. No one questions that.  This year there isn’t that type of QB available so  it would be wise to nab a top rated lineman while we can. If you think you can find two offensive line starters later in the 1st or 2nd round I’d trade the pick to get some extra draft choices.

One of the the worst thing you can do is overdraft a quarterback in the top 10.  

I don't agree.  Those are #1 overall picks, and not even normal #1 overall picks.  They might only happen once a decade and that year you might win 5 games and not have the top pick.

Thats the problem, everyone is waiting for that type of prospect and you can't, a franchise can go 20 years without the opportunity to draft that type of prospect.  Most of the time you have to gamble on a QB. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

U can say this all u want but it can’t be a blanket comment. It literally depends on what QBs r in the draft and what Oline are free agents. 

With that said, I’d love to hear who u think are good Olinemen this offseason. Not to mention teams gotta overpay for Oline signings. And then please tell me what QB u think is a franchise guy.

I’ve said this countless times. Fix the damn oline thru the draft because if we don’t, it does not matter if we added a Trevor Lawrence talent. He would get murdered by the pass rush.