• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers first round lock.

Zod

14 hours ago, frankw said:

I think we have to go QB. Even a round one rookie olineman is going to have minimal impact at this point. We will likely look to shed deadweight and bring in a couple vets for the line. As for which quarterback I'll just let the chips fall where they may and just say if the huddle hates a prospect you can usually expect the opposite.

A solid rookie tackle is going to have more impact than any rookie QB would behind this line. 

Edited by MechaZain
  • Pie 5
  • Beer 2

6 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

A solid rookie tackle is going to have more impact than any rookie QB would behind this line. 

The biggest impact we can have on offense is to shore up that OL. Getting LT figured out means you just need to scrape together an average player and a good player on the interior and you made huge improvements in one offseason.

Now, with Rhule back it will be "versatile" 6th round draft picks playing musical chairs behind entrenched starters Pat Elflein, Cam Erving and John Miller.

Hell, they would probably draft a CB with Neal, Ekwonu and Cross on the board.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, MechaZain said:

We know the oline is awful. But we aren't doing ourselves any favors either like leaving BC at guard even though we drafted him as a tackle. Can't go wrong with OL or QB in this draft but it will have to be one or the other and I won't be mad at either.

5 minutes ago, frankw said:

We know the oline is awful. But we aren't doing ourselves any favors either like leaving BC at guard even though we drafted him as a tackle. Can't go wrong with OL or QB in this draft but it will have to be one or the other and I won't be mad at either.

You absolutely can go wrong at qb.  Overdrafting one for the sake of drafting one and he busts which the odds favor will set this team back years

Build the line and let the next regime get the qb.  

No rookie qb is going to succeed behind that line next year.  

• Beer 3

7 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

You absolutely can go wrong at qb.  Overdrafting one for the sake of drafting one and he busts which the odds favor will set this team back years

But if we let Rhule stay, get ready to see a Bill O'Brien scramble to save his job. You think the 2022 draft is stripped clean of resources in an attempt to win now? Watch what they do to 2023 and 2024 trying to save that dudes job. Watch that cap money get soaked up in free agent reaches. 

Quarterback is far and away the most valuable position on the field.  If we think that Pickett, or anyone else is going to be a solid quarterback, then we take him.  Period, end of discussion.  Then we sit him for a year, throw Darnold out there (or whomever else we sign), rebuild the oline, and maybe spend most of our picks the following year on the Oline.  

As far as the comments about this year's class not being that strong, there is no way to know that until they start playing on Sunday.

But I definitely don't want Rhule doing the assessments on the QB.  He has to many failures in that regard.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II

23 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I think you're being dramatic but that's your prerogative. Drafting olinemen in the high first has been just as much of a crapshoot for years. We are facing the reality of just throwing darts at the board hoping something sticks like the Browns. We aren't getting our way out of this mess in one or two drafts. If we see a QB we like either this year or next we have to take a look that's all I'm saying. I probably won't be around much for draft talk and this is why ya'll get waaaay too worked up about it. We're a bottom feeder afterthought of a franchise until we get a quarterback. That's the way the league is driven now.

Edited by frankw

7 hours ago, frankw said:

I think you're being dramatic but that's your prerogative. Drafting olinemen in the high first has been just as much of a crapshoot for years. We are facing the reality of just throwing darts at the board hoping something sticks like the Browns. We aren't getting our way out of this mess in one or two drafts. If we see a QB we like either this year or next we have to take a look that's all I'm saying. I probably won't be around much for draft talk and this is why ya'll get waaaay too worked up about it. We're a bottom feeder afterthought of a franchise until we get a quarterback. That's the way the league is driven now.

He’d be a homegrown Sam Darnold. We stunted Cam’s development as a passer this way.

• Beer 1

40 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

He’d be a homegrown Sam Darnold. We stunted Cam’s development as a passer this way.

Cam fell off a cliff as a passer from the abuse as a battering ram carrying our run game on his shoulders though. But we agree the theme has been simple mismanagement through now two different regimes. In that regard it may not matter who we pick either way. But I will hope for the best.