• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The handling of the Sam Darnold situation is one of the worst decisions in franchise history.

hepcat

5 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

It's been explained. 

There was a deadline to pick it up before the season started.

So the probable logic was if he goes off this year we have him next year for cheap.

Versus if he went off this year with no option then he becomes a FA and the price goes way up.

They took what they thought was the lesser of two evils. 

C3B83161-DD5D-4547-9620-C21109EC45B2.gif.d495038fde3b03ca267354b6f52f2113.gif

13 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

It's been explained. 

So the probable logic was if he goes off this year we have him next year for cheap.

Versus if he went off this year with no option then he becomes a FA and the price goes way up.

There were no two evils. Picking it up never made any financial sense. If he played to anything near a dog able level, he was getting a deal. One where the first year wouldn’t be any more than 19M. More than likely less in the first year of a deal. And thats ONLY if he is actually good. In the most likely scenario of him staying the same player he’s always been(like he has) you bet 19M for what? The very small chance he’s great and you wouldn’t said  anything anyway. As was stated many times before they exercised the option, they are making a huge mistake with no upside. 

Edited by Toomers
  • Pie 1

On your 4th point, playing Sam today was a no brainer.  If he lost today and next week we are no worse off but in fact secure a top ten pick.  If he won both today and next week and showed out in the stats column we may have been able to snooker another team into a trade in the off season.

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

It's been explained. 

That's what makes the trade and the option such idiotic decisions. There was no chance of that happening because Sam Darnold is terrible.

• Pie 1

Just now, Catsfan69 said:

That was their position. 

I would have waited and gladly paid for performance. 

That's why they're terrible. I said it then. When they approached me with this plan, I would've fired them. After the Teddy failure if they approached me wanting to go all in on Sam Darnold I would've just told them to STFU and GTFO.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That's what makes the trade and the option such idiotic decisions. There was no chance of that happening because Sam Darnold is terrible.

Every step of the way was failure with Darnold. Trading for him, picking up his option, not bringing in any competition or a veteran mentor, coddling him in the preseason minimizing his snaps, and playing him after the season is well over with when a Panthers legend who has been more effective than him on far less snaps plays his last games in a Panthers uniform. 

It’s just a comedy of dumb decisions. Par for the course when it comes to this low IQ franchise. 

• Pie 4

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That's why they're terrible. I said it then. When they approached me with this plan, I would've fired them. After the Teddy failure if they approached me wanting to go all in on Sam Darnold I would've just told them to STFU and GTFO.

Lol

1 minute ago, hepcat said:

Every step of the way was failure with Darnold. Trading for him, picking up his option, not bringing in any competition or a veteran mentor, coddling him in the preseason minimizing his snaps, and playing him after the season is well over with when a Panthers legend who has been more effective than him on far less snaps plays his last games in a Panthers uniform. 

It’s just a comedy of dumb decisions. Par for the course when it comes to this low IQ franchise. 

100% truth. It's so frustrating because myself and plenty of others said this all along. These guys are fuging amateurs.

11 minutes ago, panfanman said:

On your 4th point, playing Sam today was a no brainer.  If he lost today and next week we are no worse off but in fact secure a top ten pick.  If he won both today and next week and showed out in the stats column we may have been able to snooker another team into a trade in the off season.

If he won today and next week, he would be a panther next season.  Of course, he probably will anyway.

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

100% truth. It's so frustrating because myself and plenty of others said this all along. These guys are fuging amateurs.

I made a thread right after Rhule was hired that nepotism would ruin his tenure here. He was wildly unqualified to be a head coach and needed some NFL vet coaches to make this work. Instead they hired a OC who was just as inexperienced and Rhule’s buddy Phil Snow whose NFL experience includes being the LB coach for the 0-16 Lions in 2008.

The clown show continues. All we can do is laugh and watch Tepper waste millions.