• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Report: Harbaugh might be tempted to go back to NFL

SuperBowlBound

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Maybe he learned from his first go round. I don't know. I'd prefer to look elsewhere but I won't deny that Harbaugh would be a massive upgrade over Matt Rhule. It might just go off the rails in 3-4 years when he wears out his welcome as he is prone to do.

That's pretty much how I see it going.

Like Gruden in Tampa, early success followed by an alarmingly quick slide into mediocrity and player dissatisfaction. Difference being that Gruden never tried to look for greener pastures. Reports from San Francisco indicated that Harbaugh did, and he found them.

The whole macho / hardass / always intense / never satisfied persona can work when you're recycling players every three to four years like you do at the college level, but at the pro level it won't take long before you're gonna lose your players.

Edited by Mr. Scot

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Like Gruden in Tampa, early success followed by an alarmingly quick slide into mediocrity and player dissatisfaction. Difference being that Gruden never tried to look for greener pastures. Reports from San Francisco indicated that Harbaugh did, and he found them.

The whole macho / hardass / always intense / never satisfied persona can work when you're recycling players every three to four years like you do at the college level, but at the pro level it won't take long before you're gonna lose your players.

And we're not exactly a situation setup for quick initial success. Without that, the "coming off the rails" part of the process might be expedited.

23 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Maybe players shouldn't be such pussies.

I've worked white collar jobs where hands were put on people coffee cups thrown against walls.

Cussing at people in front of everyone. 

I've worked blue collar jobs where the same things happen

• Beer 1

Harbaugh, 58, is the rare college coach who has proven he can be elite as an NFL head man. In four years with the 49ers, he went 44-19-1 and took San Francisco to a Super Bowl in his second year. And that was with a franchise that had not had a winning season in eight years.

uh, yes please.

Man, it's a real toss of the dice with Harbaugh. Maybe he's learned an awful lot and could bring this team back around. Or, he could be the same guy and actually be completely unable to motivate and repair this team.

I'm not sure I'm ready for a make or break kind of hire at this time.

This last roll of the dice didn't come out well.

• Beer 1

48 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

I've worked white collar jobs where hands were put on people coffee cups thrown against walls.

That's the kind of excuse people like Harbaugh and Gruden use. It's always the players being weak, not them being overbearing.

Seriously though, what the hell point is there to not allowing guys to listen to music or play cards on a damn plane flight?

A big part of leadership is knowing who you're dealing with, and as an NFL coach you're dealing with grown men, many of whom make a lot more money than you do.

And they have alternatives, they don't have to work for you.

Tom Coughiln was that way when he first started, but he didn't win a Super Bowl until he finally stopped with the bullsh-t and treated guys like adults.

Whether or not Harbaugh has learned that lesson is unknown, but I wouldn't bet on him being a long-term NFL success until he does.

Edited by Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's the kind of excuse people like Harbaugh and Gruden use. It's always the players being weak, not them being overbearing.

Seriously though, what the hell point is there to not allowing guys to listen to music or play cards on a damn plane flight?

A big part of leadership is knowing who you're dealing with, and as an NFL coach you're dealing with grown men, many of whom make a lot more money than you do.

And they have alternatives, they don't have to work for you.

Tom Coughiln was that way when he first started, but he didn't win a Super Bowl until he finally stopped with the bullsh-t and treated guys like adults.

Whether or not Harbaugh has learned that lesson is unknown, but I wouldn't bet on him being a long-term NFL success until he does.

Music if no headphones I can understand we have that policy during travel. 

55 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

He's trying to teach them self discipline. He's a former QB from the 80's football wasn't for soft guys back then. He came into a f'd up situation and showed them discipline and took them to the big game in year 2. Maybe if they "bought in" more instead of whining about taking life seriously they may have actually won that Superbowl.

The same people bringing up that disfunctional  FO in SF and the whiney btches he whipped into shape to actually be in a Superbowl are the same people complaining about the lack of elite coaching in the history of this franchise.

Other guys are a maybe, like Rhule and others. This guy is bonafide. He had a long NFL career at QB. HE, not Fhule was a professional athlete. HE has self discipline you can see it. Not Fhules gold, this coach is for real.

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

Music if no headphones I can understand we have that policy during travel. 

I kinda doubt it was without headphones.

I get that there are malcontents like Antonio Brown, but when you start getting multiple reports like this (and there were more) it's highly unlikely that every single one of them came from a bad guy.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I kinda doubt it was without headphones.

I get that there are malcontents like Antonio Brown, but when you start getting multiple reports like this (and there were more) it's highly unlikely that every single one of them came from a bad guy.

Didn't Cam get in trouble for not wearing a tie?

What's different?