• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

In my ideal world

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted on here. Life got crazy mid season for me and after things calmed down the Panthers were so putrid that there wasn’t a point in caring. 

There’s been an awful lot of talk now about what we do in the draft. He have a very high pick incoming and then nothing for a hundred picks or so. Not only that, but virtually nobody is excited about Rhule using those picks. Everyone here is asking “what do we do? Do we draft OL, QB? Do we try to trade back and try to recoup one of the picks we traded away? Do we trade away players to recoup picks we traded?”

I want Rhule gone. We all want Rhule gone. But I don’t hate Tepper for giving him 3 years. To many it feels like a wasted season and I completely get and respect that. But I think it’s also a sign of good will to the next guy we hire. It signals that we will give him time and not cut him in a year. Perhaps that is the intention. But in the meantime none of us trust this current HC with the future of our franchise. So my ideal solution would be to take this draft out of his hands. 

I would like to see us attempt to trade away this years 1st for a 1st next year and a 3rd or 4th this year. It would have to be to a contender looking to move up and win now. And it would painfully mean passing on high end Oline talent (which if we keep the pick it better damn well be Oline). But it would recoup a pick we traded away and would force Rhule to improve the team he built here. It would keep our future somewhat protected because rather than letting Rhule use another first, we would have it stored sear for the next man in charge. 

It would also give us capital to trade up for a QB next season. That could be another attractive piece to lure in a good HC. Having two firsts could be a great way to mold this team how he sees for or to move up and get his guy at QB. 

It’s probably unlikely, but this is my best case scenario since we are retaining Rhule. It prevents him from completely mortgaging our future this season and could entice potential HC candidates and sway them to come here next season.

I am also in favor of trading CMC to a contender, but again, I would value getting those picks next season rather than this year. I say we trade this years 1st for a 1st next season and a mid rounder this year. Trade CMC for a 3rd next year if possible. Give Rhule one last chance to save his job (which he won’t) and put the next guy in a position to really build this team in the draft in his first year here.

What are your thoughts? It seems unlikely this would even be possible if Rhule still has full control. But could he be stripped of that and it so, is this a remote possibility? Would you be on board with this? 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I have considered that myself.  Limit the future damage Rhule could do to this team by taking away his ability to trade away future picks.  Its the best case scenario really.  But I fear it's a pipe dream. 

Probably so. But Tepper could earn back some good will in my heart by taking away his roster control and giving that to Fitt this offseason. Force Rhule to earn his job with what he has and if he can’t, we suddenly become an attractive destination for the next guy, who could have a lot of picks season one and the understanding that he will be given time. It probably is a pipe dream but it would give me some optimism I don’t currently have. 

Edited by TheMostInterestingMan
  • Beer 1

14 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted on here. Life got crazy mid season for me and after things calmed down the Panthers were so putrid that there wasn’t a point in caring. 

There’s been an awful lot of talk now about what we do in the draft. He have a very high pick incoming and then nothing for a hundred picks or so. Not only that, but virtually nobody is excited about Rhule using those picks. Everyone here is asking “what do we do? Do we draft OL, QB? Do we try to trade back and try to recoup one of the picks we traded away? Do we trade away players to recoup picks we traded?”

I want Rhule gone. We all want Rhule gone. But I don’t hate Tepper for giving him 3 years. To many it feels like a wasted season and I completely get and respect that. But I think it’s also a sign of good will to the next guy we hire. It signals that we will give him time and not cut him in a year. Perhaps that is the intention. But in the meantime none of us trust this current HC with the future of our franchise. So my ideal solution would be to take this draft out of his hands. 

I would like to see us attempt to trade away this years 1st for a 1st next year and a 3rd or 4th this year. It would have to be to a contender looking to move up and win now. And it would painfully mean passing on high end Oline talent (which if we keep the pick it better damn well be Oline). But it would recoup a pick we traded away and would force Rhule to improve the team he built here. It would keep our future somewhat protected because rather than letting Rhule use another first, we would have it stored sear for the next man in charge. 

It would also give us capital to trade up for a QB next season. That could be another attractive piece to lure in a good HC. Having two firsts could be a great way to mold this team how he sees for or to move up and get his guy at QB. 

It’s probably unlikely, but this is my best case scenario since we are retaining Rhule. It prevents him from completely mortgaging our future this season and could entice potential HC candidates and sway them to come here next season.

I am also in favor of trading CMC to a contender, but again, I would value getting those picks next season rather than this year. I say we trade this years 1st for a 1st next season and a mid rounder this year. Trade CMC for a 3rd next year if possible. Give Rhule one last chance to save his job (which he won’t) and put the next guy in a position to really build this team in the draft in his first year here.

What are your thoughts? It seems unlikely this would even be possible if Rhule still has full control. But could he be stripped of that and it so, is this a remote possibility? Would you be on board with this? 

Hope you good now. Still get major props for your post mid season. 

Until Rhule is gone, I see no viable plan. It’s only going to get worse. Players aren’t stupid. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, kass said:

Did I misread your post or are you willing to trade away our pick at 6, for a pick at (likely) 20+ in next years draft + a 3rd rounder this year? 

No, you read that right. I would be. If we could get more, I would prefer that. 

But I don’t trust Rhule to make the most of this pick and I fear he could trade this pick for another QB bandaid or draft another defensive player as crazy as it sounds. I just have very little faith in his ability to evaluate talent.

So yeah. I would rather trade this pick for a 3rd this year and a first next year for our new HC. It gives the next guy the ability to move up and keeps us from taking a Kenny Pickett or some other head scratcher.

ultimately I just want to keep Rhule away from doing any more damage. Would rather the next HC have more tools to rebuild with than give Rhule any more ammunition to shoot ourselves in the foot yet again.

2 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Hope you good now. Still get major props for your post mid season. 

Until Rhule is gone, I see no viable plan. It’s only going to get worse. Players aren’t stupid. 

I really appreciate that. And sadly I agree. 

This ship is sinking. Rhule cannot save it. But I actually still have some faith in Fitt to be honest. You think it would be a full house cleaning or would he survive the staffing purge that’s looming over us next year? 

9 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

But I don’t trust Rhule to make the most of this pick and I fear he could trade this pick for another QB bandaid or draft another defensive player as crazy as it sounds. I just have very little faith in his ability to evaluate talent.

So yeah. I would rather trade this pick for a 3rd this year and a first next year for our new HC. It gives the next guy the ability to move up and keeps us from taking a Kenny Pickett or some other head scratcher.

ultimately I just want to keep Rhule away from doing any more damage. Would rather the next HC have more tools to rebuild with than give Rhule any more ammunition to shoot ourselves in the foot yet again.

The 6th overall is worth so much more than a mid-late first next year and a 3rd this year.  The 6th overall is worth double the 21st according to draft value, and 3rds are... I mean a fraction of that...

Trading the 6th for the 21st or 22nd this year, plus a first next year (anticipated to be late first), plus a 3rd this year is something I'd be okay with. But not trading away the 6th just so Rhule doesn't have it as a pick...

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

There are charts for how much picks are valued, but without looking at it.

The 6 pick would probably be worth a 1st rounder 20+ this year AND 1st next year + your 3rd this year. 

We got a 3rd during last year's draft when we traded back in round 2.

1 minute ago, kass said:

There are charts for how much picks are valued, but without looking at it.

The 6 pick would probably be worth a 1st rounder 20+ this year AND 1st next year + your 3rd this year. 

We got a 3rd during last year's draft when we traded back in round 2.

We’ll the principal is the same for me. I don’t know how the chart grades the values well but in this case, would you be willing to make a move like this? I would absolutely be willing to move down 20 spots and add a 1st and 3rd next year. I feel that protects the future and still gives Rhule a first to hopefully begin the Oline improvement this season

23 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

I really appreciate that. And sadly I agree. 

This ship is sinking. Rhule cannot save it. But I actually still have some faith in Fitt to be honest. You think it would be a full house cleaning or would he survive the staffing purge that’s looming over us next year? 

I’d burn the buildings down. That’s not saying that Fitt can’t do a good job in the future. There is just no way to know what, if anything, he did. So do you put this total rebuild and next HC hire on a guy with one questionable year as a GM. He knew what he walked into. 

I know if I’m Tepper, I’d call Rhule, Fit, and Samir in my office and have them tell me why they gave Darnold 19M guaranteed for no good reason at all. Somebody’s going home or everyone is.