• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Wrath Revisited

Mr. Scot

From way back in February... 

Apparently our head coach, while generally a nice guy, isn't always an easy man to work for...or play for 

Pretty good read in The Athletic (subscription required)

After joining Matt Rhule’s Baylor staff from Rice, Frank Okam was fired up about making the jump to a Power 5 program. Then the first game happened, and Okam wondered if his might be a short stint in Waco.

After Okam’s defensive line had a choppy performance in the 2018 opener against Abilene Christian, the Bears’ first-year assistant called his girlfriend to let her know he’d endured the wrath of Rhule.

“The headsets were crazy and there was a lot of yelling going back and forth. And coach Rhule in frustration said, ‘Frank, this might be your last game here,’” Okam said last week. “So I called her after the game. I was like, ‘Hey, I think I might be fired from Baylor. So I’m not sure, I’m gonna show up to work tomorrow and see what happens, see if they’ll let me in the building.’”

Okam’s job was safe: A calmer Rhule explained the following day he was just trying to get the most out of him and his players. But it was a bit of a system shock for Okam...

The wrath of Rhule

Man, did this story ever turn fifty shades of ironic 😕

It's also relevant again because this is the kind of coach we're gonna be trying to get "rockstar" assistants to work for.

Coaches and players don't necessarily mind hardass bosses when it's someone like Belichick who's a proven winner. But when your coaching is ass and you're an ass as well?

That's...not so good.

• Pie 3

Sad anecdote.  Nothing about Rhule’s past or present experience is very impressive, which makes it even more infuriating this dude is the 5th highest paid coach in the league.   He’s a true embarrassment to our franchise.  At least Ron had previous success in San Diego and was a good player in the NFL.  He clearly gave a damn at least

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

51 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

From way back in February... 

Apparently our head coach, while generally a nice guy, isn't always an easy man to work for...or play for

New Nickname for Rhule that some may not get (I am out there at times):

The Dope of Dopamine.

Not an effective strategy to motivate a young coach.  Not effective. Using Rhule's theory, we should all threaten to fire him every day---oh wait. 

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1