• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

OL Coaches connected to McAdoo

Mr. Scot

There are some decent choices available here, starting with...

Doug Marrone

Currently: Offensive Line Coach, University of Alabama
Formerly: Head Coach, Jacksonville Jaguars (2020)

If Marrone wants to get back to coaching in the NFL and doesn't mind working for one of his former subordinates, this would be a strong hire.

George Warhop

Most Recently: Offensive Line Coach, Jacksonville Jaguars (2020)
Formerly: Offensive Line Coach, San Francisco 49ers (2005)

Warhop Was the Jags line coach while McAdoo was there. Also worked with McAdoo in 2005 with the 49ers where McAdoo was his assistant. Has a pretty extensive resumé as an OL coach. 

James Campen

Most Recently: Offensive Line Coach, Houston Texans
Formerly: Offensive Line Coach, Green Bay Packers (2006-2013)

Of the bunch, Campen has the longest tenure working with McAdoo. He's a longtime line coach, and fairly well regarded.

Pat Flaherty

Most Recently: Offensive Consultant, New York Giants
Formerly: Offensive Line Coach, New York Giants (2014-2015)

Flaherty also worked with Matt Rhule on the Giants staff in 2012. He was considered a possible OL coach option when Rhule was originally hired but I don't know that he ever interviewed. He's also a longtime Tom Coughlin associate.

Tony Sparano Jr

Currently: Assistant Offensive Line Coach, Carolina Panthers
Formerly: Assistant Offensive Line Coach, Jacksonville Jaguars (2020)

Promoting Sparano would be the path of least resistance, but he's only ever been an assistant line coach. Never held the full title that I've seen.

So who gets the job?

Hard to say but if it were left up to McAdoo, I'd speculate that Campen, Warhop or maybe even Marrone (my choice) could be the guy depending on McAdoo's current relationship with them.

If Rhule is making the pick, I'd probably bet on Flaherty. That said, he could have had Flaherty before and chose Pat Meyer instead so...hard to say. And of course, Rhule could just decide to promote Sparano.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 2

Just now, Fox007 said:

Hopefully we can get Doug Marrone

My pick too.

That said, even with the pro to college comparison, if you had the choice to continue coaching under Nick Saban in Alabama vs coming to work for Matt Rhule in Carolina, you might have to stop and think about it.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 2

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

My pick too.

That said, even with the pro to college comparison, if you had the choice to continue coaching under Nick Saban in Alabama vs coming to work for Matt Rhule in Carolina, you might have to stop and think about it.

Well its clear that people are turning Rhule down so maybe the McAdoo "connection" lol its so funny to even say that would assist in getting someone. Not saying that someone is Doug because I wouldn't come work anywhere near this team given what I've seen.

5 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

Well its clear that people are turning Rhule down so maybe the McAdoo "connection" lol its so funny to even say that would assist in getting someone. Not saying that someone is Doug because I wouldn't come work anywhere near this team given what I've seen.

Marrone is currently employed.

Warhop, Campen and Flaherty are free agents.

Sparano already works here.

Hopefully Rhule won’t micromanage.  Marrone is definitely the best candidate (or at least the most qualified, almost to a fault).  I doubt he’d want to come here, though.  But McAdoo was desperate to get back into an OC gig and we found a solid option because of that, so maybe someone else of decent quality will be desperate enough as well

• Beer 1

27 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

There are some decent choices available here, starting with...

Doug Marrone

Currently: Offensive Line Coach, University of Alabama
Formerly: Head Coach, Jacksonville Jaguars (2020)

If Marrone wants to get back to coaching in the NFL and doesn't mind working for one of his former subordinates, this would be a strong hire.

George Warhop

Most Recently: Offensive Line Coach, Jacksonville Jaguars (2020)
Formerly: Offensive Line Coach, San Francisco 49ers (2005)

Warhop Was the Jags line coach while McAdoo was there. Also worked with McAdoo in 2005 with the 49ers where McAdoo was his assistant. Has a pretty extensive resumé as an OL coach. 

James Campen

Most Recently: Offensive Line Coach, Houston Texans
Formerly: Offensive Line Coach, Green Bay Packers (2006-2013)

Of the bunch, Campen has the longest tenure working with McAdoo. He's a longtime line coach, and fairly well regarded.

Pat Flaherty

Most Recently: Offensive Consultant, New York Giants
Formerly: Offensive Line Coach, New York Giants (2014-2015)

Flaherty also worked with Matt Rhule on the Giants staff in 2012. He was considered a possible OL coach option when Rhule was originally hired but I don't know that he ever interviewed. He's also a longtime Tom Coughlin associate.

Tony Sparano Jr

Currently: Assistant Offensive Line Coach, Carolina Panthers
Formerly: Assistant Offensive Line Coach, Jacksonville Jaguars (2020)

Promoting Sparano would be the path of least resistance, but he's only ever been an assistant line coach. Never held the full title that I've seen.

So who gets the job?

Hard to say but if it were left up to McAdoo, I'd speculate that Campen, Warhop or maybe even Marrone (my choice) could be the guy depending on McAdoo's current relationship with them.

If Rhule is making the pick, I'd probably bet on Flaherty. That said, he could have had Flaherty before and chose Pat Meyer instead so...hard to say. And of course, Rhule could just decide to promote Sparano.

Campen would be my top choice based on experience and familiarity with McAdoo followed by Warhop or Flaherty. Sparano should remain on as an assistant to whichever experienced guy we bring in.

Edited by Prowler2k18

Campen is interesting also.

10 years with the same team (Packers) as an OL coach.

James Campen - Wikipedia

Houston Texans OL coach James Campen is featured in NFL Films segment narrated by QB Aaron Rodgers.

Apparently during his time with the Packers they were the only team to have 6 different offensive lineman voted to the Pro-Bowl.

Edited by AU-panther
add
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1