• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2022 QB draft Class..

WOW!!

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

😂

Pocket presence is one of the biggest concerns with Howell. Far too often, he’ll put his head down and run instead of keeping his eyes downfield. Howell’s footwork is also shaky at times and makes it harder for him to maneuver the pocket. Growth in this area will be essential to Howell’s NFL success.

Theres more evaluations but this was literally the first one to come up.  Its a knock on him getting jittery in the pocket

https://nflmocks.com/2022/01/25/sam-howell-qb-north-carolina-2022-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Pocket presence is one of the biggest concerns with Howell. Far too often, he’ll put his head down and run instead of keeping his eyes downfield. Howell’s footwork is also shaky at times and makes it harder for him to maneuver the pocket. Growth in this area will be essential to Howell’s NFL success.

Theres more evaluations but this was literally the first one to come up.  Its a knock on him getting jittery in the pocket

https://nflmocks.com/2022/01/25/sam-howell-qb-north-carolina-2022-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

I don't need to read draftnik opinions on guys who I've watched play a ton. One of these guys says something and then it starts getting parroted around by the rest of them like it's a cold hard fact.

If Sam Howell struggled with pressure UNC might not have won a game this year with the state of their OL and defense and considering they only had one legit pass catching weapon. Yes, pressure effects QBs. We saw Brady struggle with pressure in TB's playoff loss. We saw Bama's QB that many fans want #1 overall next year struggle with pressure in the national championship game. But does Howell handle pressure better than most college QBs? Yeah.

Someone is going to get a great buy low opportunity on Howell as his stock slides a bit because he had no supporting cast this year. It won't slide as much as draftniks think because NFL teams scouting 1st round QBs will watch every snap the kid has ever taken at the college level and likely plenty at the HS level too. 

3 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Thats a huge negative for Howell.  He gets jumpy in the pocket under pressure and doesnt step up and simply leaves

He had solid stats with a poo OL. I’m not a UNC or Howell fan, just think he makes the most sense given the state of our team and what he brings to the table. Which QB would you say is the best under pressure? 

Willis has a terrible OL and is a “one read” QB. Umm how do you go through reads with no OL. Howell seemed to make something out of nothing more times than not. If you want to look at him going through progressions pull up his previous year when he had some weapons and his OL didn’t poo the bed. 

3 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

That 5.07 40 time is not gonna get him very far on scrambles/runs in the NFL. 

My takes on the QBs

Willis - Unicorn talent. Arm strength is insane. Is in the class with Lamar Jackson and Michael Vick in the speed department. Can he be consistent enough in the short passing game to not have to rely upon his legs? Backyard quarterback who might defy the structure of a traditional system, but has the upside to run his own offense heavy on RPO and improvisation. Important as it pertains to Carolina, can really help his offensive line with his ability to make the first man miss. Will give teams who depend on their EDGE for the majority of their pass rush trouble. Troubling completion percentages his fault or a product of limited amount of skill around him at smaller program? Will never be a pocket passer that works through progressions. Has the potential to change his team's fortunes from Day 1 with his legs apologizing for what he lacks in reading defenses. Will benefit from how Lamar Jackson is deployed as a guiding reference. 

Pickett - Fifth-year Senior with gobs of experience. Has earned his stripes over a full college career. Limited in every way by his lack of physical tools. Can move the pocket, but will never be a runner at the next level due to average athleticism. What changed in year 5? High floor prospect who will be a coveted backup at minimum, but his upside is Top 15 league starter. Virtually no chance to reach the lofty heights. Game manager? Will need a supporting cast to compete. Can spread the ball around and get multiple players involved. Won't fixate on his first read. Quarterback from the neck up. Will start right away. Baker Mayfield ceiling?  

Matt Corral - Stands up in the pocket and delivers hard strikes. Needs playcalling rhythm to be at his best. Timing thrower with confidence. Fearless. Strong fundamentals. Rarely off-balance. Will need to be synched with both his receivers and his coaching. Will play his best in RPO/West Coast style offense. Gets the ball out quickly and has strong short to medium accuracy. Moves the ball methodically. Can he drop back or will he be limited? Has a lot to prove in his ability to read defenses and make downfield plays. Will be ready Day 1. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:

That 5.07 40 time is not gonna get him very far on scrambles/runs in the NFL. 

He's faster than that now. He's not fast by NFL standards but he's probably 4.75 to 4.8ish type speed. Quicker than fast. He's not fast at the top end but he gets to top speed in about three steps. That's usually more important on the football fid than pure deep speed. I don't expect him to run predraft but if he can clock faster than mid-4.7s (which I doubt) then he should run.

• Beer 2

Howell is not jittery in the pocket. He is short and can't see over his line. He has 2 reads through the gaps his OL are suppose to open up. If those passing lanes get closed up by the DL, he must leave the pocket. He is not a finesse runner, so he will scramble off tackle, look to set his feet once for a pass, and then put his head down to run like a full back. He is good for 4 to 8 sacks per game regardless of the OL and allows the ball to be an easy target for forced fumbles when he runs. Good arm, but he rarely threatens the entire field allowing defenses to easily cheat their responsibilities and coverages.

Just now, CPantherKing said:

Howell is not jittery in the pocket. He is short and can't see over his line. He has 2 reads through the gaps his OL are suppose to open up. If those passing lanes get closed up by the DL, he must leave the pocket. He is not a finesse runner, so he will scramble off tackle, look to set his feet once for a pass, and then put his head down to run like a full back. He is good for 4 to 8 sacks per game regardless of the OL and allows the ball to be an easy target for forced fumbles when he runs. Good arm, but he rarely threatens the entire field allowing defenses to easily cheat their responsibilities and coverages.

That is literally the knock on him.  He is incredibly uncomfortable under duress.  I just posted 3 different scouts takes saying that.    You guys want him behind this line?

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

That is literally the knock on him.  He is incredibly uncomfortable under duress.  I just posted 3 different scouts takes saying that.    You guys want him behind this line?

No, I wouldn't want him at QB on the NFL level. Enjoyed watching him play college ball though.

14 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Is he better than Darnold/current Cam? I believe so. So yes, I would like him behind this line.