• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Michael Lombardi's 7 QB Qualities

Icege

7 minutes ago, Icege said:

One day, I'll learn to edit a write-up before posting it and rushing to fix everything within the 10-minute edit window. T_T

You should have stopped at the words Michael Lombardi. I know I did. Was the Marty Hurney method of building a consistent winner sold out? 

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

3 minutes ago, Toomers said:

You should have stopped at the words Michael Lombardi. I know I did. Was the Marty Hurney method of building a consistent winner sold out? 

Ironically enough, I edited the post you quoted so that it no longer said...

"To go ahead and get ahead of the dudes that like to wear diapers at the office:

• Yes, I know that you don't like Michael Lombardi.
  • Yes, I know that you don't like Matt Rhule.
  • Yes, I know that you miss Cam.
  • Yes, I know that you hate Sam.
  • I'm very proud of you for whatever your one line quip was. Here's pie."
Edited by Icege
  • Pie 6

1 minute ago, Icege said:

Ironically enough, I edited the post you quoted so that it no longer said...

"To go ahead and get ahead of the dudes that like to wear diapers at the office:

• Yes, I know that you don't like Michael Lombardi.
  • Yes, I know that you don't like Matt Rhule.
  • Yes, I know that you miss Cam.
  • Yes, I know that you hate Sam.
  • I'm very proud of you for whatever your one line quip was. Here's pie."

Or the actual truth. 

“Lombardi is a punch line as a personnel man in NFL circles. His opinion is only of value to someone that doesn’t know any better”

“Rhule has been a joke since he was hired. What does that matter?”

I wanted Cam gone from this disaster when cut two years ago and sure don’t want him playing for the Panthers now.”

What’s thinking that a QB who sucks, has always sucks have to do with anything”

Or the real question, “how long did it take you in that mess to try and justify Teddy being not that bad again. I haven’t read yet, so I’ll guess halfway”. 

Next up: Urban Meyer: How to transition from college to pro football.  

• Flames 1

Regarding smarts & leadership, there's always a certain level of intangibles that are impossible to tell if they truly translate at the next level.  

Basically, there's one thing with being a leader on a college team, there's another being a 21-23 year old stepping into a locker room of dudes from 22 to their late 30s and getting them to respect you, your skills, and lead them to wins.  It's that toughness and respect added onto the skills that makes the top QBs.  

It's always a blend of things coming together but those two are the unquestionable ones no matter the style or build.  Whether it's a 6'1 200 guy with a great arm or a 6'5 240 with mobility or anywhere in between.   

And that's when I think you need the staff that can ask the right questions and identify who that is.  Not these ones that go gaga over the stats, 40 times, or whatever.  Those of course matter to a degree, but I don't feel comfortable we've got guys that can truly identify an NFL caliber leader both mentally and in-game.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

So QBs are the hardest position on the field so evaluators come up with some subjective qualifiers to try and help them decide.

So QBs need "thick skin", you don't say, or leadership.  How many college QBs who were good leaders in college went on to fail in the NFL.

Speaking of Parcell's formula of wanting a guy with a lot of college experience.  That has changed somewhat in todays college landscape.  Players leave school earlier.  

31 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Rather you like Lombardi or not, the info written makes sense. You want a tough, smart QB who has great work ethic, a thick skin, and is a leader of men. These were basically Burrow’s best traits and why he has found success so quickly in the NFL. 

And that’s the same answer almost anyone involved with football at any level would give if asked the question. So what makes him different? Even half the posters on hear would give that response. 

15 minutes ago, Verge said:

Not to contradict because this is a good thread but 

Patrick Mahomes college record: 
13-19 

Josh Allen college record: 
16-11 

Aaron Rodgers college record: 
18-8 

it's not the end all be all. Except for Allen, both Mahomes and Rodgers got at least a season on the bench before being thrown to the wolves. Josh Allen is a true exception to many QB paradigms. 

There might not be a "great" QB in this draft class but there's definitely a QB or two you can win with out of this class. Pickett and Corral are my favorites and guys I think will end up being around a Jimmy G or Kirk Cousins type QB. Serviceable and could win you a Superbowl if you have a great team around them. Mahomes was shut down in the Superbowl last year by a ferocious pass-rush. 

46 minutes ago, davos said:

Regarding smarts & leadership, there's always a certain level of intangibles that are impossible to tell if they truly translate at the next level.  

Basically, there's one thing with being a leader on a college team, there's another being a 21-23 year old stepping into a locker room of dudes from 22 to their late 30s and getting them to respect you, your skills, and lead them to wins.  It's that toughness and respect added onto the skills that makes the top QBs.  

It's always a blend of things coming together but those two are the unquestionable ones no matter the style or build.  Whether it's a 6'1 200 guy with a great arm or a 6'5 240 with mobility or anywhere in between.   

And that's when I think you need the staff that can ask the right questions and identify who that is.  Not these ones that go gaga over the stats, 40 times, or whatever.  Those of course matter to a degree, but I don't feel comfortable we've got guys that can truly identify an NFL caliber leader both mentally and in-game.  

Matt Rhule is the one who said he didn't want or need Sam to be a leader. Can't make this stuff up

• Flames 1

17 minutes ago, Toomers said:

And that’s the same answer almost anyone involved with football at any level would give if asked the question. So what makes him different? Even half the posters on hear would give that response. 

It’s just discussion for this board on how these traits relate to this QB class. No one is saying it’s groundbreaking or looking for an argument about Lombardi…

• Beer 1