• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers hire Special Teams coach

ncfan

13 minutes ago, CRA said:

True. 

But it’s also a true an incompetent person can have good people around him.  And the fact an incompetent man leads the group defines what ultimately happens in the end. 

I still think Rhule is the problem.  And I have been hard on Fox and Ron at times.   Didn’t think they were great coaches. Incompetent was never a place I went with them.   Even in the dark times they had.  

and maybe Rhule will turn into something one day.  It’s clear he has a long way to go and so don’t expect there to be enough years for him to learn on the job in NFL HC attempt #1. 

Agree 💯I’m being optimistic but the incompetence was real. I’m hoping it’s a sign of growing pains for an inexperienced college coach that needs more time. However, Tepper and us fans have to see significant change on the field to regain any confidence.

45 minutes ago, Prowler2k18 said:

Agree 💯I’m being optimistic but the incompetence was real. I’m hoping it’s a sign of growing pains for an inexperienced college coach that needs more time. However, Tepper and us fans have to see significant change on the field to regain any confidence.

and it’s not that he is incompetent.  It’s he is a hands on and one wants to control everything incompetent type.    So it doesn’t appear to be in his coaching DNA not to be able to not put his thumbprint on everything.   

he probably could work if he was just an actual figurehead that hired good people and just let them do their thing. 

1 minute ago, CRA said:

and it’s not that he is incompetent.  It’s he is a hands on and one wants to control everything incompetent type.    So it doesn’t appear to be in his coaching DNA not to be his thumbprint on everything.   

he probably could work if he was just a an actual figurehead that hired good people and just let them do their thing. 

Yup…hope these recent hires signal an adjustment in his approach. It will have to be for things to change. 

Both coordinators have HC experience (Tabor was interim for one game) and I hope Rhule will be smart enough to draw from that.

• Pie 1

32 minutes ago, CRA said:

and it’s not that he is incompetent.  It’s he is a hands on and one wants to control everything incompetent type.    So it doesn’t appear to be in his coaching DNA not to be able to not put his thumbprint on everything.   

he probably could work if he was just an actual figurehead that hired good people and just let them do their thing. 

Yeah I seen Ellis the other week post something on Twitter from one of the training camp practices he went to this past year. He had a clip where Rhule was micromanaging everything on offense, it was bad. He has to quit that poo.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

Yeah I seen Ellis the other week post something on Twitter from one of the training camp practices he went to this past year. He had a clip where Rhule was micromanaging everything on offense, it was bad. He has to quit that poo.

Maybe that was as much an indicator of Brady’s liabilities as Rhule’s micromanagement. If so, it may explain why he finally cut ties. No confidence in the offensive development. Not excusing Rhule - just connecting dots.

DaCHARLOTTE — The Panthers have found their new special teams coordinator, adding an experienced assistant whose units have performed well in recent years.

Carolina Panthers:

The team has agreed to terms with former Bears special teams coach Chris Tabor, who brings 14 years of NFL experience to the job.

Tabor spent the last four seasons with the Bears, after seven years as the Browns' special teams coach. He was previously an assistant special teams coach with the Bears.

Under his watch, the Bears have ranked in the top 10 of longtime NFL writer Rick Gosselin's special teams rankings each of the last two years.

The Panthers found some stability last year with kicker Zane Gonzalez (who hit 17 straight field goals prior to his pre-game injury in Buffalo), but he was one of four kickers they used from the start of the preseason. They also cycled through three punters last year. The Panthers ranked 28th in Gosselin's special teams rankings last year

Edited by KatsAzz
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, Prowler2k18 said:

Yup…hope these recent hires signal an adjustment in his approach. It will have to be for things to change. 

Both coordinators have HC experience (Tabor was interim for one game) and I hope Rhule will be smart enough to draw from that.

That's where my thinking is as well.  I see two important assistant coaches being added with a lot of NFL experience.  It's something which was sorely lacking the last two seasons in Carolina.  If this is a sign that Rhule realizes he needs more talented guys around him, that's great.

Now I'll wait to see who the OL coach is and what the team does on draft day.  Another experienced hire and the #6 draft pick on a LT will go a long way toward getting me enthusiastic for next year.  

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Prowler2k18 said:

Maybe that was as much an indicator of Brady’s liabilities as Rhule’s micromanagement. If so, it may explain why he finally cut ties. No confidence in the offensive development. Not excusing Rhule - just connecting dots.

That depends on whether such a lack of confidence was justified or whether it was just Rhule's overbearing micromanagement.

I'd have to look it up, but I think Brady actually had just a slight edge in NFL experience over Rhule (though not by much).

• Beer 1