• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Possible Cuts for Cap Savings

Michael G

Below I have compiled a list of players under contract for 2022. These are players who I think may cut (if they can't be traded) to give the team more Cap Space to spend in Free Agency. All proposed cuts are Pre June 1st cuts. Would you cut any of these players? (My #s are from Over the Cap)

1. AJ Bouye (N/CB): (cap # next year =4.7 mil. Cap savings of 3.5 million, but adding 1.2 mil in Dead Cap)

2. Dennis Daley (OG/OT): (cap # next year =2.5+ mil. Cap Savings of 2.5 mil, adding only 31k in Dead Cap)

3. Pat Elflein (C/OG):  (cap # next year =7+ mil. Cap Savings of 4.7 mil, but adding 2.4 mil in Dead Cap) *Eflein would be a lot cheaper to cut next year

4. Morgan Fox (DL):  (cap # next year =5.6 mil. Cap Savings of 3 mil, but adding 2.5+ mil in Dead Cap)

5. Sam Franklin Jr (S):  (cap # next year =900K. Cap Savings of 895K, adding only 5k in Dead Cap)

6. Liram H. (K): (cap # next year =825K. Cap Savings of 825K, adding 0 in Dead Cap) *We will probably try to bring back Zane G. if possible and let Hiram go

7. Myles  Hartsfield (DB): (cap # next year =896+K. Cap Savings of 895K, adding only 1k in Dead Cap)

8. Michael Jordan (OG): (cap # next year =965K. Cap Savings of 965K, adding 0 in Dead Cap)

9. Cam Erving (OL):  (cap # next year =6.5+ mil. Cap Savings of 2 mil, adding 4.5 in Dead Cap)

There are other players under contract who we might cut that were basically PS guys or Rookies and young players we are still developing. Most of them have min. contracts with little savings and no dead $. WE also have a couple of big contracts that probably will remain on the books due to lack of trade interest and the fact we probably will not cut these guys (Shaq, CMC, Darnold) because of the huge dead money hit we'd take from their guaranteed contracts.

He would you cut to save cap. Who would you bring back

• Pie 5

7 minutes ago, Icege said:

Dennis Daley is due $996,838 with a dead cap number of $31,838.

You may be right, but not according to Over the Cap. That is where I got the #s I used. The #s do seem too big for a rookie later rounds contract.

Edited by Michael G
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Michael G said:

You may be right, but not according to Over the Cap. That is where I got the #s I used. The #s do seem too big for a rookie later rounds contract.

I was looking at Spotrac. I think OTC is wrong on that one due to Daley being in the final year of his rookie deal. 6th round guys get just shy of $1M in their final year.

Edited by Icege
  • Pie 1

13 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

As everyone agrees in the FA thread, just let Rhule run it out with the guys he wanted, blow it up next year when we have $110m in cap space. New coach, new QB, everything. 

This. This. This.

Last season basically said that Rhule believed he could win now and then with what he assembled. Make him stick to his guns, blow this bih up afterwards, and then go get somebody who's excited to work with a metric fug ton of cap space at their disposal.

Edited by Icege
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 3

I doubt we see many cuts.

Unless the team NEEDs the cap space they are better off keeping the players. In short, the "cap savings" will likely turn into a net loss for the team when you factor in what a suitable replacement player would cost.

Edited by Evil Hurney
  • Pie 2

Stupid question but I have always wondered the answer. If a player agreed to cancel his contract, and sign a new one would a team still be responsible for the old contract as it relates to the cap?

Specific  to the Panthers- what if Sam agreed to take $9m vs the $18m owed to him? 
Most would ask why would he do this?  The answer is he probably would not.

However, knowing that the Panthers may be his last chance to prove he is an NFL QB, he might be willing to reduce his cap to be a team player and also so they could get sign some oline help and etc. In other words, Sam would be betting on himself and I would say he does have something to prove.

I get that this has about a 1% chance of happening but was curious how it would impact the cap. 

37 minutes ago, Michael G said:

Below I have compiled a list of players under contract for 2022. These are players who I think may cut (if they can't be traded) to give the team more Cap Space to spend in Free Agency. All proposed cuts are Pre June 1st cuts. Would you cut any of these players? (My #s are from Over the Cap)

1. AJ Bouye (N/CB): (cap # next year =4.7 mil. Cap savings of 3.5 million, but adding 1.2 mil in Dead Cap)

2. Dennis Daley (OG/OT): (cap # next year =2.5+ mil. Cap Savings of 2.5 mil, adding only 31k in Dead Cap)

3. Pat Elflein (C/OG):  (cap # next year =7+ mil. Cap Savings of 4.7 mil, but adding 2.4 mil in Dead Cap) *Eflein would be a lot cheaper to cut next year

4. Morgan Fox (DL):  (cap # next year =5.6 mil. Cap Savings of 3 mil, but adding 2.5+ mil in Dead Cap)

5. Sam Franklin Jr (S):  (cap # next year =900K. Cap Savings of 895K, adding only 5k in Dead Cap)

6. Liram H. (K): (cap # next year =825K. Cap Savings of 825K, adding 0 in Dead Cap) *We will probably try to bring back Zane G. if possible and let Hiram go

7. Myles  Hartsfield (DB): (cap # next year =896+K. Cap Savings of 895K, adding only 1k in Dead Cap)

8. Michael Jordan (OG): (cap # next year =965K. Cap Savings of 965K, adding 0 in Dead Cap)

9. Cam Erving (OL):  (cap # next year =6.5+ mil. Cap Savings of 2 mil, adding 4.5 in Dead Cap)

There are other players under contract who we might cut that were basically PS guys or Rookies and young players we are still developing. Most of them have min. contracts with little savings and no dead $. WE also have a couple of big contracts that probably will remain on the books due to lack of trade interest and the fact we probably will not cut these guys (Shaq, CMC, Darnold) because of the huge dead money hit we'd take from their guaranteed contracts.

He would you cut to save cap. Who would you bring back

Tell me again why people think Fitt is some genius

• Pie 1

30 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

As everyone agrees in the FA thread, just let Rhule run it out with the guys he wanted, blow it up next year when we have $110m in cap space. New coach, new QB, everything. 

This is the way

That dude on Locked On Panther Podcast says he has a source in the building that says we are probably going to sign Armstead.   Godalmighty we simply never learn our lesson if this is true

Edited by mrcompletely11
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, thennek said:

Stupid question but I have always wondered the answer. If a player agreed to cancel his contract, and sign a new one would a team still be responsible for the old contract as it relates to the cap?

Players can restructure, but Im not sure if they can willing take less $ on a change. Teams would be ok with this I'm sure BUT (and this is purely conjecture) I think there are probably rules NFL Player Association rules and League policies that prevent this. Plus the Player's agent would probably not be too happy with this happening either. 

1. AJ Bouye (N/CB): (cap # next year =4.7 mil. Cap savings of 3.5 million, but adding 1.2 mil in Dead Cap)

Would not cut Bouye, but would trade for equivalent draft pick/player. Especially if we resign one of Gilmore or Jackson - I hope we let Jackson walk.

2. Dennis Daley (OG/OT): (cap # next year =2.5+ mil. Cap Savings of 2.5 mil, adding only 31k in Dead Cap)

Assuming spotrac is correct here, the contract is so cheap I wouldn’t cut prior to free agency/draft.

3. Pat Elflein (C/OG):  (cap # next year =7+ mil. Cap Savings of 4.7 mil, but adding 2.4 mil in Dead Cap) *Eflein would be a lot cheaper to cut next year

Keep. Likely our starting Center next year for now.

4. Morgan Fox (DL):  (cap # next year =5.6 mil. Cap Savings of 3 mil, but adding 2.5+ mil in Dead Cap)

Keep unless a trade for equivalent draft pick value is available. He is a solid contributor.

5. Sam Franklin Jr (S):  (cap # next year =900K. Cap Savings of 895K, adding only 5k in Dead Cap)

Keep. Cheap contract and young. 

6. Liram H. (K): (cap # next year =825K. Cap Savings of 825K, adding 0 in Dead Cap) *We will probably try to bring back Zane G. if possible and let Hiram go

Cut. Resign Zane

7. Myles  Hartsfield (DB): (cap # next year =896+K. Cap Savings of 895K, adding only 1k in Dead Cap)

Keep. Cheap contract and minimal savings vs production.

8. Michael Jordan (OG): (cap # next year =965K. Cap Savings of 965K, adding 0 in Dead Cap)

Keep. Cheap and minimal savings. Potential cut post free agency/draft.

9. Cam Erving (OL):  (cap # next year =6.5+ mil. Cap Savings of 2 mil, adding 4.5 in Dead Cap)

Keep. Savings not worth giving him up as depth. Potential trade post free agency/draft. Likely player for player. 

• Pie 4