• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It Seems Official Tom Brady Retires

Michael G

10 hours ago, TheBigKat said:

If it’s official then we just witnessed the GOAT at his position. No other QB will win 7 SB Rings

Agreed, Brady is the GOAT and his accomplishments are unlikely to be matched. I do feel that going to the Buccaneers and winning a Super Bowl with them without Belichick and the Patriots make his case almost airtight. 

It will certainly be strange to see the NFL next season without Brady and Big Ben adding to the list of QBs like Rivers, Eli, Peyton (etc). It certainly makes me feel old knowing the QBs I grew up with aren’t going to be playing anymore! 

• Pie 1

59 minutes ago, Michael G said:

it seems TB doesn't want to confirm or deny at this point.

He’s got nothing to confirm or deny. TB said he would take time to decide whether he wants to play or retire. If he’s still undecided then there’s nothing to say. However, it is somewhat odd that his company announced his retirement, unless the post was misinterpreted and was simply a flawed attempt at celebrating his achievements and not a retirement post? 

1 hour ago, Michael G said:

it seems TB doesn't want to confirm or deny at this point.

I think Brady is ready to announce but is just being respectful of the game.   He doesn't want to upstage the Conference Championships by saying anything this week.  

Look for his statement to come out Wed or Thurs of next week when it's more quiet in the NFL world.  So after the Superbowl matchup has been set and discussed for a few days.  That timing would give Tampa Bay the whole off-season to plan for his replacement.  

3 hours ago, BlitzMonster said:

I think Brady is ready to announce but is just being respectful of the game.   He doesn't want to upstage the Conference Championships by saying anything this week.  

Look for his statement to come out Wed or Thurs of next week when it's more quiet in the NFL world.  So after the Superbowl matchup has been set and discussed for a few days.  That timing would give Tampa Bay the whole off-season to plan for his replacement.  

Tampa has 20 something free agents and $13 million in cap space. They are down poo creek without a paddle.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

This freaking dude is going to wait until around the SB to announce what he’s doing so he can maximize as much attention as he can. 

if that's the case, it would make more sense for him to wait until after the super bowl. with no football to talk about, it would be the tom brady show until the draft.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, demcj said:

if that's the case, it would make more sense for him to wait until after the super bowl. with no football to talk about, it would be the tom brady show until the draft.

Whatever he does, it’s going to be about timing, not because he doesn’t know yet. 

• Pie 1

I think there's some big financial maneuvering behind the scenes with Brady. 

If he waits until the first week in Feb he gets a 15M bonus. 

Also the Bucs may want to wait until June to split the cap hit up into two years.

Brady could also renegotiate his contract to the NFL minimum to give a parting gift for Tampa Bay.  That way the cap hit would be much less.  Brees did that for NO his retirement year.  Brady would likely be able to keep his bonus $$ with a maneuver like that.  

• Pie 1