• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

“If you have a QB you like, You take a shot there”

ncfan

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

We drafted Greg Little giving up 1st round value. We drafted Brown over Wirfs and Wills and we drafted Horn over Slater. We took Marshall over Humphrey and a long snapper over Smith. We have no effing clue how to draft OL.

Hurney gave Little a 1st round value. Anyone that watched the combine had him sliding to day 3 or UDFA.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

No one is arguing that. The point is QB is the MOST important position in sports. If you don’t have one and one you like in available in the draft you draft him. Fix the OL with other picks/FA/next year. Priority one is getting your QB. If there isn’t one yoyu like that’s a different story. 

You also can't make 1 happen where there isn't 1..

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We'll see if it holds true. Because damned if the Bengals ain't in the SB with an OL as bad as ours. Sucks going up against Aaron Donald with a porous IOL though... 😂

Bengals can run block Atleast our Oline couldn't even do that..

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Hurney gave Little a 1st round value. Anyone that watched the combine had him sliding to day 3 or UDFA.

This. After the Combine I'm pretty sure I said I wouldn't spend a draft pick on Greg Little. ANY draft pick. It's impossible to overstate how trash he looked doing those drills.

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

If that's really his strategy then either they had some serious dirt on Fields or Fitts ain't callin' the shots.

Incidentally, I agree.  If you find a QB you believe in, you draft him if he's there.  Doesn't matter where you are in the draft.

27 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I agree with everything Fitts said... and that you said. The Panthers passing on Fields and Slater to take a CB... yeah, that doesn't line up with what Fitts is saying here.

He also states that CBs are a game changing position.  My guess, they thought Horn had a lot better chance of becoming a great CB than Slater did of becoming a great LT so they went with Horn.

In regard to Fields, they simply might not have liked him for whatever reason.  Teams can vary greatly on QB evaluations.  Also its possible they liked Fields but didn't feel like QB was a need because they had just traded for Darnold.

It sounds crazy to us fans, but I think once they traded for Darnold, drafting a QB was pretty much off the table, for all we know if the trade for Darnold hadn't' happened we might have took Fields or Jones. 

My guess is they convinced themselves (probably Fitts included) that none of the QBs that were likely to be there when we picked had as good, or better, chance of Darnold being successful.  

• Beer 1

It has been said that Hurney wanted to trade up to get Herbert in 2020 and was voted down because they did not want to give up picks.  No telling if this is true or not but thought it was interesting that Fitts mentioned Herbert. 
Hurney certainly had his faults and stayed way past his time, but he did get Jake, Matt Moore (great backup career and undrafted) and Cam. Obviously Jimmy was a bust but I believe it when I hear Hurney wanted Herbert. We got Brown instead.