• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Greg Olsen talks with The Athletic

Mr. Scot

I agree with Olsen. You’re shackled to Darnold this year. Get him an offensive line, draft a QB to ride the pine behind him, find a TE, then go into next year with cap space and a top-10 pick. We assume 2022 will be another lost season, and if so, we can start over with a new coach and new QB room in 2023.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 5

7 minutes ago, jfo89 said:

Yep Rhule made his bed with the Darnold trade now let him lie in it.

Like it or not, talent evaluation and player development are part of being a head coach. If you’re poor at both then you’re not qualified for the job.

Unfortunately us fans have to pay by watching Darnold play terribly next year. Feel like fans are just as screwed. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

47 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think they’ve gotta go into this year trying to build the best team possible around Sam. If you have the opportunity to get a developmental quarterback in the draft, and he sits behind Sam and develops and he surprises you and he’s ready, great. I don’t know if I continue to mortgage my future and give draft picks away when I’m in a rebuild.

Sam’s line was terrible but the team around him and the defense were good enough to have a much better record than they did. 
If Sam is the starter in 2022 he will be a liability. 
A good line or better team isn’t gonna make him magically not do boneheaded crap. 

• Beer 1

Whatever....just fix the OL. Get Armstead, Norwell, and that center from Tampa or Tennessee. 

Get good vets that won't take a learning curve. 

That way it give you the flexibility of drafting a QB without getting him killed or rolling with Sam 🤢 and taking away any excuses.

And then find a TE and for Peak's sake don't friggin trade him away, moron.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 3

6 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Sam’s line was terrible but the team around him and the defense were good enough to have a much better record than they did. 
If Sam is the starter in 2022 he will be a liability. 
A good line or better team isn’t gonna make him magically not do boneheaded crap. 

I don't really think the defense was that good.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

What I took away from this interview is that everyone who talks to Rhule walks away impressed after listening to him. LOL, I think Rhule must be casting witchcraft and sorcery with his words when he talks to people (ie Tepper, Hurney, Olsen). Rhule is a big talker but he doesn't live up to it. I think Rhule even talks himself into thinking he is a big shot! Actions speak louder than words! 

• Pie 1

24 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Whatever....just fix the OL. Get Armstead, Norwell, and that center from Tampa or Tennessee. 

That way it give you the flexibility of drafting a QB without getting him killed or rolling with Sam 🤢 and taking away any excuses.

While I don't agree 100% with you, you're spot on right on an awful lot of this.

I think while we do need to look at grabbing a starter grade vet on the line, I think we need to use our first rounder on Linderbaum at center. If we don't we're a lot of picks away from getting someone of quality on the line. Center is where we need influx right now and if you make the right pick, you've got Ryan Kalil for the next decade. 

Then you can be looking at QB. Heck, maybe take one with our next pick and let him mature on the bench a bit.

29 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Situationally they were. If they weren't up against power run offenses like the whole NFCE and they didn't have to stay on the field for 45 minutes a game they were decent.

I think we had a lot better personnel on defense than we did on offense. Doubt anybody would disagree with that.

Scheme-wise though? Phil Snow's defensive plans weren't all that hard to counter. Multiple teams showed us that.

• Pie 4

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

Agree. I'd trade a future mid round pick to get rid of Sam's contract if some team will do that, then sign Armstead, Norwell and Jensen. Let guys like Donte and Gilmore walk. Draft Pickett or whoever we like best at QB in the 1st, ideally with a trade down. I might even aim bigger and go after Scherff. But we need to spend big on proven OL guys, there's a bunch hitting free agency right now. A rookie QB behind a great line with DJ, Robby, McCaffrey (if he can stay healthy) can be a top 10-15 offense.