• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breer: Panthers "between a rock and a hard place" at quarterback

Mr. Scot

From Albert Breer's latest mailbag (link)

From Mike Liddle (@mliddle17): If the Panthers were to sign a veteran, who would be the best option? Or should they stay away and get a young franchise QB in the draft?

Mike, the Panthers are sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place here.

The rock is Matt Rhule’s situation. It’s no secret that owner David Tepper wasn’t happy with the way last year ended, and the fact that Tepper hasn’t come out and publicly endorsed Rhule or his staff, fueling perception that Rhule’s seat has gotten toasty, won’t help the Panthers convince a veteran quarterback that Charlotte’s where he wants to be. If a Watson or Wilson has options, why go to a place where upheaval might be a year away?

The hard place is the draft class. I had one veteran evaluator tell me that Ole Miss’s Matt Corral had the best week of any quarterback at the Senior Bowl—by virtue of being the only one of the top guys who wasn’t in the game (Corral wasn’t eligible). It was that bad, and there will be teams that don’t have a first-round grade on any of the quarterbacks in this class.

So if the Panthers can’t get a guy like Watson to come and don’t like the quarterbacks in the draft class? We’re probably going to be talking about someone like Garoppolo.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 4

38 minutes ago, GoCarolina8990 said:

Only Superman could save the day. So, get some protection so that he has more than a millisecond to throw. 

Cam: *under duress as soon as the ball is snapped, OR non-NFL weapons (like in NE)* ..

cAm Is wAsHeD ..

No, he's struggling like literally any QB in his situation the last two seasons would .. and honestly, Cam the last two seasons accounted for more TD's than most, if not all QB's would in his situation

Quick tip, dude: This board has exactly zero effect on what the Panthers do.

So basically, even if you create a hundred more IDs and spout a thousand number-based theories, it's not going to make any difference whatsoever on what happens.

This mission you're on is an utter waste of time.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 6

1 hour ago, GoCarolina8990 said:

Only Superman could save the day. So, get some protection so that he has more than a millisecond to throw. 

Cam: *under duress as soon as the ball is snapped, OR non-NFL weapons (like in NE)* ..

cAm Is wAsHeD ..

No, he's struggling like literally any QB in his situation the last two seasons would .. and honestly, Cam the last two seasons accounted for more TD's than most, if not all QB's would in his situation

Not this dude again.  

Investing a 1st round pick in a QB with a lame duck coach is insane.

The teams that take Ridder, Glass, Coan, Kelley, and Eleby will be the big winners at QB in this draft. I think Glass will end up with the Steelers or Saints. Kelley will land with the Saints. Coan will be with the Colts. Ridder goes to the Commies. Eleby lands with the Lions.

I can only hope one of these QBs get a chance under Lame Duck Rhule this year.

It will be a very interesting year to watch for all these rookie QBs who will get starting opportunities in 2022.

Just now, CPantherKing said:

Investing a 1st round pick in a QB with a lame duck coach is insane.

The teams that take Ridder, Glass, Coan, Kelley, and Eleby will be the big winners at QB in this draft. I think Glass will end up with the Steelers or Saints. Kelley will land with the Saints. Coan will be with the Colts. Ridder goes to the Commies. Eleby lands with the Lions.

I can only hope one of these QBs get a chance under Lame Duck Rhule this year.

It will be a very interesting year to watch for all these rookie QBs who will get starting opportunities in 2022.

Are you related to glass?

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, GoCarolina8990 said:

cAm Is wAsHeD ..

Bye Bye Goodbye GIF by Mickey Mouse

• Beer 3

39 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Quick tip, dude: This board has exactly zero effect on what the Panthers do.

So basically, even if you create a hundred more IDs and spout a thousand number-based theories, it's not going to make any difference whatsoever on what happens.

This mission you're on is an utter waste of time.

It worked last season. It was a movement.

My advice is whatever fans decide, hammer it home.

They ARE listening.

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

Are you related to glass?

No man. Calm down.

He is being touted in scouting circles and his draft stock is rising. He has several big NFL names in his corner talking him up like Deion Sanders, Doug Williams, Jeff Fisher, Marvin Lewis, and Wade Phillips.

He is currently getting praised this week with his practices. We will see what happens in the game this weekend. I'd be shocked if he disappoints. Scouts are lining up to see several Big 5 transfers who went to HBCUs this week, and Glass is the headliner.

I saw him as a late 5th rounder/early 6th. He is likely a late 3rd now. If he continues to impress, I can see a team racing to grab him first in the late 2nd round with all the other top QBs disappointing. He was likely 8th on the list of the top 10 to start, but he could easily be the 5th or 6th QB taken in the draft.

I rarely see QBs I would want to draft. Last time I saw multiple QBs worth drafting was in 2012. Glass is a great upside value pick at QB.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

No man. Calm down.

He is being touted in scouting circles and his draft stock is rising. He has several big NFL names in his corner talking him up like Deion Sanders, Doug Williams, Jeff Fisher, Marvin Lewis, and Wade Phillips.

He is currently getting praised this week with his practices. We will see what happens in the game this weekend. I'd be shocked if he disappoints. Scouts are lining up to see several Big 5 transfers who went to HBCUs this week, and Glass is the headliner.

I saw him as a late 5th rounder/early 6th. He is likely a late 3rd now. If he continues to impress, I can see a team racing to grab him first in the late 2nd round with all the other top QBs disappointing. He was likely 8th on the list of the top 10 to start, but he could easily be the 5th or 6th QB taken in the draft.

I rarely see QBs I would want to draft. Last time I saw multiple QBs worth drafting was in 2012. Glass is a great upside value pick at QB.

Sigh.  The odds of a 3rd rounder (come on man no way he goes in the 3rd) being a productive qb in the nfl is minuscule.   The odds of being a 3rd rounder and from a black college are astronomical no matter what scout says he is heating up.   The last qb from a black college was 20 years ago and he still went top 10.   Glass doing anything In the nfl isn’t even a pipe dream it’s the equivalent of me winning powerball.   He and the others you listed are wasted draft picks.  

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Sigh.  The odds of a 3rd rounder (come on man no way he goes in the 3rd) being a productive qb in the nfl is minuscule.   The odds of being a 3rd rounder and from a black college are astronomical no matter what scout says he is heating up.   The last qb from a black college was 20 years ago and he still went top 10.   Glass doing anything In the nfl isn’t even a pipe dream it’s the equivalent of me winning powerball.   He and the others you listed are wasted draft picks.  

It's 16 years and it wasn't in the 1st round. You still have not done your research.

A QB being drafted from an HBCU to start is RARE. When this rare occurrence does happen, they find starting opportunities and somehow end up in the SB.

It's not like an HBCU QB comes along to be drafted every year or couple of years at that.

Edited by CPantherKing
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

No, it didn't. And no, they're not.

Nor should they.

Cam was here. Yes it did. I'm more into the future at QB but at present they're f'd and if free agents can choose are they choosing Rhule?! No.

Slim pickings as an official bottom feeding organization under Tepper. No cap space either for a superstar.

This community has a HUGE impact on what the team does as I said, last season was the example. Sorry you didn't see the reunion.