• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What's this? A coach shouldering some responsibility and not railroading his players???

LinvilleGorge

16 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Yeah exactly, which is why I'm not interested in what the coach is saying at the podium.  A coach up there saying "it was totally my fault, I take full responsibility" maybe comes off favorably for certain people who value optics, but at the end of the day, actions speak louder than words and you willfully went into the Super Bowl with that o-line.  If Rivera went up there after the 2016 Super Bowl and said "you know, I should have made sure adjustments were made on the o-line and our tackles had gotten help against Miller and Ware", do we honestly think a single Huddler would have praised him for taking accountability? Naw f that, we would've been like "NO poo, FOOL!".  The Bengals' second half collapse in protection was a prime example of a young inexperienced head coach unable to make adjustments to dig himself out of a bad situation.  Kind of similar to us, except in our case it was an entire 4 quarters of incompetency in making adjustments rather than just one half.

It matters as to the character of the guy that is supposed to be the coach. Character matters, especially for leaders because what they do and say have a profound impact on the people they lead and, to a degree, is a reflection on who they are. If the coach/leader is an ass, it's going to cause problems at some point that are detrimental to the org. they are leading.

8 minutes ago, rayzor said:

It matters as to the character of the guy that is supposed to be the coach. Character matters, especially for leaders because what they do and say have a profound impact on the people they lead and, to a degree, is a reflection on who they are. If the coach/leader is an ass, it's going to cause problems at some point that are detrimental to the org. they are leading.

I guess I just don't treat press conferences as a microcosm of the real world and a reflection of one's true character.  Ron Rivera is by all means a wonderful stand-up guy and someone players love to play for.  Did he often go up to the podium and take accountability for poor performances?  I don't think so, but I may be misremembering.  Coaches have to lie all the time at the podium because reports are often prying about sensitive things.  Are these coaches "liars" with poor character?  Press conferences are largely a joke and I think the only people who take them seriously are fans who have already formulated a strong opinion on a coach one way or another.  Then every answer a coach gives just reinforces that fan's preconceived notion about the coach.

Regardless, I agree with your point to a degree, which is why I said I only start caring if it ruffles feathers and creates tension in the locker room to where players lose respect for their coach.  I just don't see any indication that it has gone there.

8 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

It'd probably help if the interview process actually looked into issues like this and asked questions related to how a head coach approaches adversity, failure, etc.

I mean, I'd take that over "He sounds smart, I've got good feelings and these meatballs are delicious. Let's hire him!" 🙄

In a heart beat.

2 minutes ago, BrianS said:

We said the same thing about Cam Newton after 2015.  "He's young, he'll get us back".

The league showed the blueprint on how to stop our offense. Headhunt Cam Newton and we won't stop you. The Bengals are in a different situation entirely in that regard. Nine times out of ten Burrow gets the call if the pass rush tries some sketchy bullshit. The pendulum has now swung back into the favor of quarterbacks and offense in general. It certainly helps to look like Joe if you want to build your persona around swagger and what some would consider arrogance. But I won't wade into all that. If the Bengals go the route the Panthers did in free agency and the draft and remove pieces from their Super Bowl team and make additions in the wrong places they could end up like the Panthers. Mismanagement in the 2016 offseason guaranteed the window with the Panthers core was slammed shut. For the Bengals sake I hope their decision makers don't go down that road. Go all in on the offensive line and stack playmakers and see where it takes you.

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, trueblade said:

Biggest hurdle is the murderer's row of QBs in the AFC. You're probably going to have to go through some combination of Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, and Lamar in the playoffs. If Lawrence or Wilson develop into that type of QB it could be even worse. I'm not a Jones fan, but Belichick still brings a nasty defense. AFC is loaded.

Honestly, just about everyone is loaded. These teams have been highly competitive!

Think about it, as awful as the Panthers have looked, they have also looked really good too.

The levels are seeming to get really even and I have always wondered if there will be a bizarro year where almost every team is 8-9, or 9-8.

There was a ton of weeks throughout the regular season where almost every game was a 3-4 vs 4-3 or 5-5 vs 6-5 (bye week) etc.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, SCO96 said:

Drew Brees only played in one Super Bowl as well (08-09).

Only been to one. Another stellar example.

We have a lot of people with a distorted POV from what Tom Brady did for all those years. Which is just not sustainable, nor the appropriate way to look at things.