• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Harbaugh after Rhule screws up this coming season maybe still?

YourLastThought

43 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Here's one thing to consider, and I'm saying this as someone who for years has been on the jim harbaugh bandwagon, could he have done that with any other team or was it just a matter of right place, right time, right crew(players)?

If not, then why has he not had a dominant team outside of that? I mean there for a minute Stanford was pretty good, but they also had a pretty good QB. Since San Fran, where has the success been?

That guy won with Baalke as GM and rising fast with ownership. Maybe one of his most impressive accomplishments with the 49ers. 

I still think he is a very good coach, I'm not sure how good tho. The 49ers were really bad when he showed up and they were bad after he left until they hired their current coach. But like you said, I don't see the dominance outside of that. School vs NFL maybe? The school system is set up to make less a lot more and do a ton of it IMO. 

• Beer 1

27 minutes ago, Waldo said:

That guy won with Baalke as GM and rising fast with ownership. Maybe one of his most impressive accomplishments with the 49ers. 

I still think he is a very good coach, I'm not sure how good tho. The 49ers were really bad when he showed up and they were bad after he left until they hired their current coach. But like you said, I don't see the dominance outside of that. School vs NFL maybe? The school system is set up to make less a lot more and do a ton of it IMO. 

Part of his success in San Francisco was he was simply the right guy for that situation at the time.  They had a strong defense, decent offense with a good running game, and they were an experienced group.  I'm not saying anybody could have gotten them to the level of success they had (Singletary could not as HC), but it was not a rebuild or even a huge retool.

His demise there was more about Baalke and the York's thinking they didn't need him, and he was somehow beneath them.  But, the question of what would have happened had he stayed and the team began to age out is a concern.  Carroll certainly has shown diminishing returns as the initial group started to age out or move on.

Harbaugh may not be the guy to build a team, but the guy who can take one that is mostly built, figure out the last piece or two of the puzzle, and get them to the next level.  Those are usually very distinct talents.

If he is the latter, I'm not sure our situation is for him.  A lot depends on who we add this offseason and whether nearly the entire 2021 class year two slump was just a slump or something worse.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

Here's one thing to consider, and I'm saying this as someone who for years has been on the jim harbaugh bandwagon, could he have done that with any other team or was it just a matter of right place, right time, right crew(players)?

If not, then why has he not had a dominant team outside of that? I mean there for a minute Stanford was pretty good, but they also had a pretty good QB. Since San Fran, where has the success been?

Maybe he's a better coach than he is a recruiter?  It would take a really top tier recruiter to go into Michigan and make them a National Championship contender.  They can barely hang with OSU.

You bring up a valid point though.  I think it's likely a combination of right guy for the right situation.  But I also think Harbaugh might be a better pro coach than college coach.

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

College has different dynamics than the pros. It's much more difficult to compete against the big dogs because of their history, entrenchment, support by boosters and fans, etc. There are no legit systems in place (and will never be, really) to promote fairness from a personnel perspective. That's why there are such gaps between programs. Michigans and Stanfords of the world aren't the Georgias, Bamas or Ohio States. That being said, there is a ceiling of success for most programs. Michigan's success is not going to be Ohio State's success, because success is relative. That's not to say that a coach can't come out of nowhere and go to the mountaintop, but that's not the norm, and will that success be sustained over a long period of time? A few times it will, but most of the time it won't. Even more, sometimes coaches--including the young whippersnappers who are making a name for themselves in the college ranks--are just better suited for the NFL (and indeed their goal is the NFL).

The NFL is designed for parity. If you have a good eye for talent in the draft and free agency, quality coaching, and a knack for roster building, vision and the ability to sell the vision to elicit discipline and excellence, you will succeed. Harbaugh seems to have those traits.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

There's also reason to question whether he could have kept it going in San Francisco given the number of stories that came out suggesting he was losing the locker room.

There are those coaches who make it to the Super Bowl once and then pretty much disappear. It could be argued Harbaugh is one of them.

46 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

There's also reason to question whether he could have kept it going in San Francisco given the number of stories that came out suggesting he was losing the locker room.

There are those coaches who make it to the Super Bowl once and then pretty much disappear. It could be argued Harbaugh is one of them.

I remember people talking crap about Dick Vermeil also. Yeah, he won one Super Bowl, but he's now a Hofer. 

I know that I wouldn't stake my life on Harbaugh not getting to the Super Bowl if he's given another opportunity.