• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Slow off-season debate: would this bring you hope? Could this get you excited for the future?

WarPanthers89

Simple question. Read the following scenario and let me know if you would have faith in our future…..

Scenario: We draft the QB with the highest ceiling in the draft (Willis) and promise to sit him for a year in order to develop him and build the offensive line. We then sign a cheaper vet QB like Fitzpatrick and let him compete with Darnold to start the year (this makes sure Willis has a red shirt year). We will most likely be one of the worst teams in the league next year, but the following year we are in much better shape cap wise. We will have a high draft pick next year, have a QB on a rookie contract, and give yourself another full off-season to fully build the line for him. 

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-malik-willis-quarterback-2022-nfl-draft-biggest-unknown

4DAD3C99-A36D-45C4-8A10-152397EB9650.jpeg

Edited by WarPanthers89

8 minutes ago, Ornias said:

No. If we draft Willis, fine, but Sam and PJ need to take the beating. We do not need another damn retread. Rhule is gone after this year, do not let him ruin the cap or trade assets. 

I was saying Fitzpatrick because he would be cheaper but the point was to make sure Willis would not play for a full year being that he will absolutely need developing and won’t be ready year 1. This wouldn’t hurt cap that bad as it’s a one year deal and we don’t trade assets by taking Willis at 6

Edited by WarPanthers89
  • Pie 1

8 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

This would get Rhule to at least year 5 and I can't even think how far into the toilet he can take the team by then 

That would be horrific. I’m trying to think of ways I can get excited for the team but any scenario with Rhule as head coach for another season is beyond comprehension. 

• Pie 1

33 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

The only point I get excited for the future of this team is when Matt Rhule is fired and/or Tepper admits publicly he's sucked, he's staying out of things, etc. 

Those 2 have caused this downfall.  Until there's massive changes with at least 1 of them, I really don't give a poo anymore. 

We have a winner! We have a winner!Excited Saturday Morning GIF