• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ranking the QBs of the 2022 draft

Verge

3 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Willis is fools gold.  If he couldnt elevate Liberty and he is pretty bad against better comp then whats the point?  Quincy Avery says he has worked with a private qb coach since 9th grade and he still has these incredible bad habits I just dont see NFL coaches raising his level of play.  The throwing off the back foot, trying to muscle throws, simply taking off needlessly in the pocket are just bad habits that will be astronomically hard to coach out of him.  Then you get to his size, where like it or not could be an issue.

If, If we decide to go qb at 6 (and I pray to buddha we dont) then it has to be Pickett since he can start from day one. 

Willis elevated Liberty more than Allen ever elevated Wyoming. He even had then ranked for a while. 

• Pie 1

38 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm not taking using a top ten pick on someone I think has only a 20% chance of being what I want.

Mahomes and Allen are both solid passers who also have physical ability. And while that's great, it's also not that common (neither was it enough for either one this year).

But again, the idea that you can just take any guy that's got great athletic ability and teach him to be an NFL level quarterback is fool's gold.

Give me the guys who have got the quarterback skills over the athletic freaks that people think can be taught them ten times out of ten.

Darnold is actually a very good example of this. He has the physical tools. He doesn't have the mental capacity to read a defense pre snap. 

Peyton Manning was about as immobile a QB as I can ever remember but his ability to disect a defense was unrivaled. Do you want your QB to be able to scramble? Absolutely. Do I want my QB taking unnecessary hits running? Absolutely not. 

I'll take cerebral over mobile any day. I'd rather my $15m WR get hit than my $40m QB. They're a more easily acquired commodity. We all want a Mahomes, Allen or Jackson. The real interesting thing will be how long their careers last. I firmly believe Cam's prime was shortened by the massive amount of hits he took. 

I don't think there's a Mahomes or Allen in this years draft. I also don't think there's a Brady or Manning. Maybe in a couple of years, with the right coaching. We don't have that coaching or that kind of time. 

Edited by SmokinwithWilly
  • Pie 2

5 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Smallish athletic guys don't work for long in the big physical NFL at QB. How many 5'11" guys do we have to see hyped up and flop to figure it out?

The one out of five year wonder is a huge mistake the Panthers can't wait to make so all our collective lists, prognostication, stats, reasons have no bearing on what mad men will do.

Tepper and Rhule want their hometown hookup to happen.

The real QB1 Strong 2022!

Who are all those 5'11" guys who have been hyped up and flopped?

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Darnold is actually a very good example of this. He has the physical tools. He doesn't have the mental capacity to read a defense pre snap. 

Peyton Manning was about as immobile a QB as I can ever remember but his ability to disect a defense was unrivaled. Do you want your QB to be able to scramble? Absolutely. Do I want my QB taking unnecessary hits running? Absolutely not. 

I'll take cerebral over mobile any day. I'd rather my $15m WR get hit than my $40m QB. They're a more easily acquired commodity. We all want a Mahomes, Allen or Jackson. The real interesting thing will be how long their careers last. I firmly believe Cam's prime was shortened by the massive amount of hits he took. 

I don't think there's a Mahomes or Allen in this years draft. I also don't think there's a Brady or Manning. Maybe in a couple of years, with the right coaching. We don't have that coaching or that kind of time. 

Manning's immobility is a myth. No, he wasn't going to take off scrambling but his mobility within the pocket was very good.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not necessarily to that level, but a mind like Stafford or Burrow is enough.

Mind you, I'm not saying guys have to be immobile. Just that the whole idea of taking a super athlete who doesn't have the other tools and thinking you can teach him those things is fool's gold.

If they can't read a defense on at least a medium level as a senior in college, there's a good chance they're not going to learn it on the fly in the pros.

I don’t know if Stafford really has a great football “mind.” I’d say he is average but will usually make some dumb throws especially when plays break down. He needed a loaded team to win a playoff game. Any of these guys can read a defense. The elite minds like a Brady/Manning/Mahomes are able to manipulate and take advantage of these complicated NFL defenses, but that can come with experience/coaching, 

12 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Willis elevated Liberty more than Allen ever elevated Wyoming. He even had then ranked for a while. 

He didn’t perform against any decent defenses.  This is fact.  I can’t get past that Willis had to transfer to play.  He didn’t go to Ohio State he went to Liberty.  He was third choice at Auburn and their QBs were very average 

If he looked amazing against Liberty comp should be seriously evaluated.  Looking at those games he was all over the place.  Not efficient, and not reading defenses. 

Edited by Shocker

42 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

That's not really the comparison.. Ole Miss vs Liberty is team comparison not 1 player..

In the NFL he would have more of a chance to have equal talent surrounding him most Sunday's.. Then Liberty will have ever vs a SEC team..

My point was that he was inconsistent against Liberty competition.  I waffle on his talent but seriously Willis is a bust.  I hope I am wrong but he has too much to overcome.  Pickett has a better chance to stick as a backup 

12 minutes ago, Shocker said:

He didn’t perform against any decent defenses.  This is fact.  I can’t get past that Willis had to transfer to play.  He didn’t go to Ohio State he went to Liberty.  He was third choice at Auburn and their QBs were very average 

If he looked amazing against Liberty comp should be seriously evaluated.  Looking at those games he was all over the place.  Not efficient, and not reading defenses. 

He defeated Syracuse and VA Tech. I get they aren’t power houses, but there is a huge talent gap in their programs and Liberty. Yeah he had a rough first half against Ole Miss, where he was sacked 7 times in one half! I’m not sure what you expect him to do in a game where his line got crushed and his WRs can’t get open, but yeah the tape looks bad. 

How did Allen look against top competition in college? What defense did he look good against? While he is still raw as a passer he is further along than Allen was IMO. 

The transferring to play is a big nothing to me. Players do that all the time, but he said he had a lot of maturing to do while he was at Auburn. He went to Liberty to get a fresh start and got them ranked with a solid record in 2020. 

7 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

He defeated Syracuse and VA Tech. I get they aren’t power houses, but there is a huge talent gap in their programs and Liberty. Yeah he had a rough first half against Ole Miss, where he was sacked 7 times in one half! I’m not sure what you expect him to do in a game where his line got crushed and his WRs can’t get open, but yeah the tape looks bad. 

How did Allen look against top competition in college? What defense did he look good against? While he is still raw as a passer he is further along than Allen was IMO. 

The transferring to play is a big nothing to me. Players do that all the time, but he said he had a lot of maturing to do while he was at Auburn. He went to Liberty to get a fresh start and got them ranked with a solid record in 2020. 

This Allen comp is crazy.  They are completely different players and Allen has a rocket.  Not a fair comparison at all.  Selling yourself on Willis is incredibly tricky.  He isn’t as good a passer as Cam was coming out.  He is ridiculously raw reading defenses and isn’t accurate at all.  He is a late round QB guess type pick.  If he becomes something great he is amazing 

If a player like Dwayne Haskins was in this draft he would go before Willis every time.  The draft process tends to make a great QB out of the unknown.

Edited by Shocker
  • Poo 1