• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ranking the QBs of the 2022 draft

Verge

3 minutes ago, Martin said:

Yes, but as a high pick you really want to see the tools as well. I would still not take Mac Jones due to his limitations. But that’s me.

If they don't have accuracy or the ability to read and process a defense, all the physical tools in the world won't make a difference.

I'd add though that Willis's physical tools aren't as good as some folks think. If you watch him against higher level competition, he's nothing special.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

16 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

If they don't have accuracy or the ability to read and process a defense, all the physical tools in the world won't make a difference.

I'd add though that Willis's physical tools aren't as good as some folks think. If you watch him against higher level competition, he's nothing special.

You need both, if you struggle to throw when it’s raining outside it doesn’t matter how well you read a defense. 

One you might be able to improve with great coaching, the other one is what it is at this point.

Again I haven’t seen Willis play, but some of the comments seem to indicate he maxed out playing at Liberty for two years for a coach fired from Florida, and that doesn’t make sense to me. But sure, he might completely bomb. But if we go QB (I really prefer a LT), I’d rather gamble on someone with upside, than someone with high floor/low ceiling.

• Pie 1

Willis has that pop factor on tape,  the dude can make amazing throws.  Is he consistent?  No.  Can he stay in the pocket and find multiple reads?  Right now no, not at this level.  Has he shown that he can perform against elite college defenses?  Hell no.  

Willis is a swing for the fences.  However, if this dude commits himself to the craft he can be good.   I Seriously question if he is a Super Bowl winning QB but it isn’t impossible.  Being realistic his bust factor is higher than his greatness factor.  Way, way higher

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Martin said:

You need both, if you struggle to throw when it’s raining outside it doesn’t matter how well you read a defense. 

One you might be able to improve with great coaching, the other one is what it is at this point.

Again I haven’t seen Willis play, but some of the comments seem to indicate he maxed out playing at Liberty for two years for a coach fired from Florida, and that doesn’t make sense to me. But sure, he might completely bomb. But if we go QB (I really prefer a LT), I’d rather gamble on someone with upside, than someone with high floor/low ceiling.

I have. It was...less than inspiring.

And I'm not alone on this:

As far as being able to improve with great coaching, I know people think that's easy but more often than not, it isn't what happens.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I know everybody loves the guys with the crazy physical tools. And every year I hear people say things like "oh, we can teach them the other stuff".

And likewise, every year I watch some team realize it's not working.

People have been predicting the physical style quarterbacks were going to "change the league" ever since Michael Vick. It still hasn't happened, and barring some major rule changes I don't believe it's going to.

Give me an accurate passer with intelligence and the ability to process quickly every time. If they also have physical tools that's cool but you don't really need those to win.

The league is very much sold on physical ability with good instincts that can be molded over anything else. They watched Bills V Chiefs and it really cemented that. If you have a 20% chance on hitting on a Josh Allen you take it. 

• Pie 1

There is another argument that if you are picking in the top 5 (yeah we are 6)…you want to pick the player most likely to be a Hall of Fame player.  Regardless of position or need.  Willis is an amazing stretch with this in mind.  Kyle Hamilton is that guy IMO.  

7 minutes ago, Verge said:

The league is very much sold on physical ability with good instincts that can be molded over anything else. They watched Bills V Chiefs and it really cemented that. If you have a 20% chance on hitting on a Josh Allen you take it. 

I'm not taking using a top ten pick on someone I think has only a 20% chance of being what I want.

Mahomes and Allen are both solid passers who also have physical ability. And while that's great, it's also not that common (neither was it enough for either one this year).

But again, the idea that you can just take any guy that's got great athletic ability and teach him to be an NFL level quarterback is fool's gold.

Give me the guys who have got the quarterback skills over the athletic freaks that people think can be taught them ten times out of ten.

17 minutes ago, Verge said:

Malik not elevating Liberty above Ole Miss is not a good argument. The talent gap between both teams is huge and he was still the best player on the field. 

I hear you but the talent difference between Liberty and the NFL is massive. Not saying he can’t do it but he has an amazing leap to overcome 

I personally keep coming back to Sam Howell.  I don’t care where he played. Big arm, processes quickly and a leader and competitive guy that has no fear.  Can maneuver in the pocket naturally.  Leads effortlessly.  He has as good a chance as any of these QBs to be special 

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Shocker said:

I hear you but the talent difference between Liberty and the NFL is massive. Not saying he can’t do it but he has an amazing leap to overcome 

That's not really the comparison.. Ole Miss vs Liberty is team comparison not 1 player..

In the NFL he would have more of a chance to have equal talent surrounding him most Sunday's.. Then Liberty will have ever vs a SEC team..