• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ian Thomas Contract Details (also TE market is HOT)

Evil Hurney

12 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

You really whining about this -- https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/phillip-walker-22025/

$895,000 to have a back up QB for CHEAP knowing that there are other cap allocations needed elsewhere?

The PJ extension shouldn't even garner attention, we have a back up the end; yet people were freaking out like they set some kind of record retaining him. 

Whining? He would be fighting for a 2nd or 3rd string spot on any other teams roster if he didn't go to Temple and you know it. Appreciate the input 👍

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, frankw said:

Whining? He would be fighting for a 2nd or 3rd string spot on any other teams roster if he didn't go to Temple and you know it. Appreciate the input 👍

And any other backup is likely to be just as bad but cost more so...appreciate the input 🤫

Not to mention that is a non-guaranteed contract there's no dead money tied to it. So uhhhh yea good talk my guy 🤙

It's literally non cap impactful no matter what happens, but at the very least you have the position accounted for. Or would you rather a more experienced, more expensive, still shitty back up...oh wait that's Darnold 

Who Knows Idk GIF

7 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

And any other backup is likely to be just as bad but cost more so...appreciate the input 🤫

Not to mention that is a non-guaranteed contract there's no dead money tied to it. So uhhhh yea good talk my guy 🤙

It's literally non cap impactful no matter what happens, but at the very least you have the position accounted for. Or would you rather a more experienced, more expensive, still shitty back up...oh wait that's Darnold 

Who Knows Idk GIF

Why are you so pressed over a former XFL QB? I didn’t want Sam Darnold and I'd love to get a real QB in here but we have donkeys for management who are scared to develop a rookie.

1 hour ago, SetfreexX said:

No need to risk it either and be stuck with just Tremble and not other receiving threat at the position. People forget Ian looked pretty good back in 2018 filling in for an injured Olsen. Kyle, Teddy, and Darnold seemed to rarely look his way, not to mention the Brady offense seemed to devalue that position as a read. 

If you have to go back 4 years to find a few good plays for a player then that player is not good and has overstayed his usefulness by at least 2 years.

• Flames 1

3 hours ago, Evil Hurney said:

OTC has the breakdown of the Ian Thomas contract: https://overthecap.com/player/ian-thomas/6986/

19bd7186199bcd9d855164f598a68c24.png

In short, Ian is counting ~$3.1M vs the cap this season and his last season is not likely to be earned as it's mostly (non-guaranteed) salary. To me, this contract reads like a 2-year $11.5 million dollar deal with a team option for a 3rd year. For the curious he can be cut before the start of the league year in 2023 for a small cap savings (~1.4M).

With the context that 3 TEs (Njoku, Gesicki, Shultz) have been franchised tagged, this deal may end up looking reasonable. IMO the biggest benefit is we didn't sign a FA TE to a similar contract and possibly cancel out a comp pick.

OK not as bad as originally thought, but still Thomas has done absolutely nothing in his time here to show that hes worth any more than the NFL veteran minimum.  Hell, we drafted a guy to replace him in the 3rd round last year who showed a lot of promise.