• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sign Armstead and draft Tyler Linderbaum

RIPTreyLance

12 minutes ago, Smittymoose said:

That's cute, but Ryan Kalil wouldn't be worth the 6th overall pick either, even if there was a guarantee he'd be that good. 

People get way too caught up in this “is it worth 6th overall” mindset.  Certain positions sure, like RB due to the short shelf life.  But you’re saying you wouldn’t draft a guy at #6 who you knew would be a top 5 center for 10+ years because he’s a center?  It doesn’t matter who you pick, you can get a Morris Claiborne or a Jalen Ramsey.  Give me the stalwart at his position, doesn’t matter who it is.  

Take the best OL at #6 or trade down if our favorites are all gone.  Hoping for Ekwonu or Cross but I’ll take anything right now 

• Pie 4

Just now, PandaMan said:

People get way too caught up in this “is it worth 6th overall” mindset.  Certain positions sure, like RB due to the short shelf life.  But you’re saying you wouldn’t draft a guy at #6 who you knew would be a top 5 center for 10+ years because he’s a center?  It doesn’t matter who you pick, you can get a Morris Claiborne or a Jalen Ramsey.  Give me the stalwart at his position, doesn’t matter who it is.  

Take the best OL at #6 or trade down if our favorites are all gone.  Hoping for Ekwonu or Cross but I’ll take anything right now 

Yes, that's exactly what I am saying. Teams routinely find good late-round centers. The fact that "it doesn't matter who you pick" because anyone can bust is exactly why you don't draft a guy with weak positional value at 6th overall. Even the "safest" prospects can bust. Remember when Aaron Curry was the surest next big thing? 

6 minutes ago, PandaMan said:

this is stupid

Ryan kalil never won a single game for this team

People get so caught up “am I just getting a good player?” that better ran teams gleefully squeal as stupid teams take “sure things” ahead of them.

well ran teams assess cost relative to need relative to value.

you can buy quality interior line play for a percentage of what you pay virtually every other position on the field, the top 5 highest paid iOL don’t come close to the rest of the team.

dumb little teams ran by people with dumb little brains will continue to flounder around in the squalor of their failure with quinton Nelson DOMINATING AS THE BEST GUARD IN THE LEAGUE while teams who deploy their resources relative to value will continue to win championships

Edited by Growl
  • Pie 1

9 minutes ago, PandaMan said:

It does matter what position you pick because the #6 pick averages $8m a year.  If he turns out to just be average you just lost value because centers are cheap on the open market.

Look at Tretter being released by the Browns.

What makes more sense?

Draft a center and pay him $8m a year and sign Armstead to play LT at $20m a year in free agency.

Draft a LT and pay him $8m a year and sign Tretter to play center at $8m a year in free agency.

You just saved $12m you can spend to upgrade your team at a different position.  

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Growl said:

this is stupid

Ryan kalil never won a single game for this team

People get so caught up “am I just getting a good player?” that better ran teams gleefully squeal as stupid teams take “sure things” ahead of them.

well ran teams assess cost relative to need relative to value.

you can buy quality interior line play for a percentage of what you pay virtually every other position on the field, the top 5 highest paid iOL don’t come close to the rest of the team.

dumb little teams ran by people with dumb little brains will continue to flounder around in the squalor of their failure with quinton Nelson DOMINATING AS THE BEST GUARD IN THE LEAGUE while teams who deploy their resources relative to value will continue to win championships

Alright, buddy.  Ryan Kalil never won us games but our OL has lost us games.  I’d rather take a tackle at 6, but if our favorites are gone and no one wants to trade down, then what?  CB because of value?  Another DT?  Don’t think any Colts fans would complain about spending #6 on Quenton Nelson

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, PandaMan said:

Alright, buddy.  Ryan Kalil never won us games but our OL has lost us games.  I’d rather take a tackle at 6, but if our favorites are gone and no one wants to trade down, then what?  CB because of value?  Another DT?  Don’t think any Colts fans would complain about spending #6 on Quenton Nelson

not drafting a center at 6 overall doesn’t mean you have a bad offensive line, I’m not sure where this false equivalency is coming from

colts fans are stupid and their team is stupid

players like josh Allen, mike mcglinchey, minkah Fitzpatrick, and vita vea all went shortly after nelson. Quinton Nelson will never add a single win to the colts w/l total.

yes, you absolutely take a CB or DT over a center with the 6th pick on the draft. Better to have an abundance of riches at a high impact position than to acquire a low impact position you could’ve solidified for pennies on the dollar in free agency.

Edited by Growl

1 hour ago, Carolina Cajun said:

I don't want us taking linderbaum at 6 but would be fine with litte trade back then pick,  but stuff like this is irrelevant.  Tom brady had a terrible combine and ran a 40 measured on a Mayan calendar, Sam darnolds combine was supposed to be good enough to make him the #1 pick so picking and choosing comparisons for the sake of argument is just a poor argument.

If we don't get a tackle in FA, a trade back & Linderbaum would be my perfect scenario. As long as we keep ourselves in the window to get him. Come on, Iggles. Do us a solid and trade your two 1st rounders for spot #6.

And I agree regarding measurements being irrelevant. I gave those stats after quoting / highlighting this part of Smittymoose's post:

The number of people who want to draft a tiny center at #6 overall is amazing to me.

It was to prove that the size measurement is a dumb argument.

8 minutes ago, EgoDogg said:

If we don't get a tackle in FA, a trade back & Linderbaum would be my perfect scenario. As long as we keep ourselves in the window to get him. Come on, Iggles. Do us a solid and trade your two 1st rounders for spot #6.

And I agree regarding measurements being irrelevant. I gave those stats after quoting / highlighting this part of Smittymoose's post:

It was to prove that the size measurement is a dumb argument.

It’s not. I’d look up all the tiny centers who never did poo in the NFL, but it would take me all day

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Jfc one was a second round pick, not #6

What does that have to do with anything. Do you think Kalil would be a 2nd rounder if there was a redraft? Do you think Steve Smith would be a 3rd rounder again, Tom Brady a 6th rounder. Just because a player was drafted in X round doesn't mean they didn't end up being a 1st round value. And many teams take high profile, impact players in round 1 who don't equate to a first round grade after playing time in the NFL.

Ideally I'd like to get Linderbaum in the 10-20 range, but if he would be the last piece to anchoring down that Offensive Line, then the impact on the team is worth it at #6.

10 minutes ago, Smittymoose said:

It’s not. I’d look up all the tiny centers who never did poo in the NFL, but it would take me all day

Again, that's cherry picking. Look at how many ideal / prototypical centers that didn't pan out in the NFL as well. Size isn't everything.

Panthers legend Sam Mills elected to Pro Football Hall of Fame

Just now, EgoDogg said:

Again, that's cherry picking. Look at how many ideal / prototypical centers that didn't pan out in the NFL as well. Size isn't everything.

Panthers legend Sam Mills elected to Pro Football Hall of Fame

Of course it isn't, but it's a pretty big wart on the resume of a guy who doesn't play a premier position when you're drafting 6th overall. Your argument is silly.