• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pass rusher at 6

Growl

Just a musing I had:

alternative title: why the panthers need to address OL in free agency

The traditional adage is that you use free agency to free yourself up for the draft, and, in the panthers case, it holds true.

Say the top 5 picks come and go and the Panthers (foolishly) don’t fancy any of the QBs, or did something really stupid like traded for Jimmy G. 

additionally, the top 2 OTs have been selected in the top 5.

However, one of the draft’s top pass rushers is available.

Despite the fixation on OT, you’re now facing down the prospect of adding one of the blue chip pass rushers, at a position of need, at a position of greater value, over a red chip talent at a position of lesser value in a unit where you’ve invested in, and that requires less bodies.

Objectively, the choice is obvious (unless you’re completely consumed with drafting an OT simply for the sake of doing so, which many here are.)

it opens up a further discussion though:

do you pair the new guy with Burns and have the leagues best pass rush tandem?

or if you like the options you have behind Burns, consider moving him for two 1’s? (Using the Jamal adams trade as a reference point)

Getting a top talent as well as a chance at QB later in the 1st is really appealing, but a top pass rush is regarded as one of the precious few truly necessary components for a Championship.

all in all it none of it really matters without a top QB and I’m not watching Sam darnold again, period, but I like the draft and the logistics of it, so there’s a thought I had.

Edited by Growl
  • Pie 2

Just now, Proudiddy said:

If we keep the pick, I'm honestly interested in the DT from Georgia.  He is going to be a fuging problem.  

I like Willis too though.

Tough call.

Do like. I think Walker could be a jumbo end opposite of Burns and help a ton in the run game. Teams will still run at Burns, but allows you to shade LB help if necessary. 

• Pie 1

Just now, Smittymoose said:

Oh if we're talking Davis, pass. Saw him get gassed playing against up tempo teams too many times. No thanks. 

I'm more in favor of Walker for sure, but Davis's conditioning will certainly improve on an NFL regimen. Davis could be more of a trade down option I believe. 

29 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

If we keep the pick, I'm honestly interested in the DT from Georgia.  He is going to be a fuging problem.  

Tough call.

Haven’t watched him, are we talking about legitimate inside 3T or who can rush the passer or just more Derrick brown “occupy space” garbage

either way I’d probably just take the edge defender, more valuable 

40 minutes ago, stbugs said:

If the top 3 tackles are gone and Thibodeaux is there or Gardner, I’d go with either (I could see top 5 as tackles and DE) over a C. It would suck if all three top tackles are gone but Burns and Thibodeaux could be fun or a healthy Horn and Gardner and Gardner would also help us save cap/get a good comp pick for Donte. Cs are FAs and next year’s day 2 picks. We aren’t competing for Jack poo this year, especially with no Watson or Watson losing Chinn/Burns, so at least get best value at 6. We still have lots of holes.

Personally I would like to find a LT, but this idea of "one of the top 3 tackles" might be a bit overplayed by us fans.

There is a very good chance that the Panthers or any team for that matter might have a gap between OT2 and OT3.

Board could be something like OT1 >OT2> DE2> CB1>>>>OT3.  In theory in that situation you would try to trade down if you are determined to fill that need but trading down is easier said then done.

• Beer 1

In any other year, I think you'd have made a very good point OP. 

This year, though, we're looking down the cannon's barrel. No one can predict what our situation will be. Because of poor coaching, management and ownership we may go into the draft with no first round picks for multiple years, a new QB who could be under an NFL suspension, a lame duck coach that shouldn't have survived last November much less coaching here in 2022 and no identity to a team. 

So what do you do?

Take the best offensive lineman, the smartest one, you can and hope you are building something that can survive the shitstorm that's about to happen here. 

Unlike in Jay-Z's case, there's no Sean Combs to lift him up and no Beyonce` to marry. Rhule's just dead man floating right now. Throw the safest pick with a look to the future and hope that we can have a chance in 2023.

• Beer 1

20 minutes ago, Growl said:

Haven’t watched him, are we talking about legitimate inside 3T or who can rush the passer or just more Derrick brown “occupy space” garbage

either way I’d probably just take the edge defender, more valuable 

If they are talking about Davis, he is a 340lbs DT who ran a fast 40 at the combine and tested unbelievable well, limited snap guy in college though.  People are hoping he becomes Vita Vea.  Before the combine was considered more of a late 1st type of guy, not #6 overall.

His teammate is actually moving up draft boards somewhat and might go a lot higher than a lot of people think

Travon Walker Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com

57 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

In any other year, I think you'd have made a very good point OP. 

This year, though, we're looking down the cannon's barrel. No one can predict what our situation will be. Because of poor coaching, management and ownership we may go into the draft with no first round picks for multiple years, a new QB who could be under an NFL suspension, a lame duck coach that shouldn't have survived last November much less coaching here in 2022 and no identity to a team. 

So what do you do?

Take the best offensive lineman, the smartest one, you can and hope you are building something that can survive the shitstorm that's about to happen here. 

Unlike in Jay-Z's case, there's no Sean Combs to lift him up and no Beyonce` to marry. Rhule's just dead man floating right now. Throw the safest pick with a look to the future and hope that we can have a chance in 2023.

so you’re making a “hope for the best” pick and it isn’t a QB?

2 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

Tough call.

Having him and Brown up the middle should free up Burns and DE2 to kill the QB.