• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Malik Willis Pro Day

41 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

4 of the top 11 (had to get to 11 to get Rodgers) all time rushing leaders for QBs have Super Bowl rings.  That was my point.  People crying a QB that can run will never win a Super Bowl don't know what they are talking about. 

That's not what they are saying dummy. 

They are saying QBs that are predominant  runners because they are poor to.mediocre passers.

Mike Vick was more runner than passer.

Russ Wilson is more passer than runners.

You are confusing guys that can run with guys who have to run.

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

this is a lot to fix and if he doesn’t figure out the sack thing he is going to get hurt sooner than later

https://nfldraft.theringer.com/mock-draft?_ga=2.3232368.139743324.1647875409-1439562385.1613940927

At times, Willis’s timing and accuracy become spotty and his touch on passes can run hot or cold. He’ll put a ball inside when he needs to lead his receiver to the outside, or vice versa. The Liberty star is a bit quick to bail on a clean pocket and can be overly reliant on his athleticism. He’ll hesitate to pull the trigger at times and take a sack rather than getting the ball out quickly to his outlet. He tallied a 13.1 percent sack rate in 2021 (taking 51 sacks in 13 games), an astronomical number that he’ll need to dramatically improve on in the pros. Ball security was a bit of a concern this past season; he had a few too many bobbled snaps, fumbles, and picks. Willis will need to further refine his accuracy, cut down on turnovers, and take fewer sacks at the next level.

Not something you want to read about a qb prospect.  That's too much to overcome at the pro level.  You might correct one or two but not all of them. 

17 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

What qb that actually runs a lot has won a super bowl recently?  It's great in the regular season but doesnt seem to work as much in the playoffs.  Manipulating the pocket and sensing pressure is much more important than a qb full blown running. 

Wilson. But like I said super bowls and wins are a team statistic. Like another person said if we just saying super bowls measure qbs then Eli is better than Payton. Dan Marino wasn't a good qb because he never won a super bowl. Lamar jackson hasn't won a super bowl but he is won 3 times as many games as he has lost. He is a building block and a part of the puzzle. People wrote him off because he was a running qb and was taken at what 31-32?

2 minutes ago, Lets go get it Canes said:

Jesus fuging Christ. Till I’m blue in the face I’ll keep saying it because you don’t get it. Running QBs don’t win super bowls. Running to find a better lane to pass is different than QBs where design runs are called 10-15 times a game or they one read and take off. 

The guys you are referring to don’t make it period in the NFL. That’s why they aren’t on the list of top rushing QBs, too short of a shelf life. Lamar is far from a one read QB. When you draft a QB like Josh Allen you have to develop him to stay on the pocket as well like the Bills have. You use their legs to keep the defense honest and use his legs to extend plays and grab first downs. That would be the game plan for Willis IMO. 

19 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Doesn't bother me, honestly. I'm not really interested in quarterback 40 times.

I would just like to know his 10 yard split more than anything.  I dont think he did any of the cone drills either?  Just to get more of a feel for pocket mobility.  Also I think the numbers would be very similar to Pickett's and then I feel like all the people talking about how much more mobile he is would have a different tune.  Willis is more mobile I would assume but I think it's closer than people realize.

This discussion highlights part of the problem you always run into when you talk about this topic.

Everybody uses different terms to describe different types of quarterbacks.

You have to be clear what you mean or misunderstandings occur.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2

11 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

Most of those guys arent especially fast.   They are good at moving in the pocket.  Pickett is also as athletic/mobile as or more than almost all of those guys as well.

They all are considered mobile duel threats are they not? I mean at what point do you draw the line... you have to be Lamar jackson fast to be a running qb because he and kyler are likely the only qbs with that kind of speed in the league.

3 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

I would just like to know his 10 yard split more than anything.  I dont think he did any of the cone drills either?  Just to get more of a feel for pocket mobility.  Also I think the numbers would be very similar to Pickett's and then I feel like all the people talking about how much more mobile he is would have a different tune.  Willis is more mobile I would assume but I think it's closer than people realize.

Pickett is able to run but doesn't really Excell at it. I think he's about what burrow is as a runner. Willis is thicker built. Breaks tackles and as a runner probably is closer to hurts..

Just now, micnificent28 said:

They all are considered mobile duel threats are they not? I mean at what point do you draw the line... you have to be Lamar jackson fast to be a running qb because he and kyler are likely the only qbs with that kind of speed in the league.

"Mobile" doesn't equal "dual threat".

Joe Burrow is capable of moving in the pocket, but I don't think any DC in the league is going to worry about game planning against him running.

That's my line for who constitutes a dual threat. If defenses actually have to scheme around the possibility of them running, that to me is a dual threat.

Running around to scramble and throw a pass shows mobility, but doesn't make you a run threat. Occasionally running when needed doesn't either. There are a lot of quarterbacks who can do that but they don't necessarily scare anybody.

By that definition, there aren't really that many dual threats in the league right now.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, micnificent28 said:

You could classify them as that sure but like has been mentioned.  Most of those guys run as a last resort.  They move in the pocket and keep their eyes down the field until the last second.  Also like I said, Pickett is faster than most of those guys.   For example Mahomes numbers as far as mobility dont even really compare to Picketts.  So why is Willis considered such a dual threat potentially, he just needs to work on some of his passing game but Pickett isnt?  They were asked to do different things but Pickett is athletic enough too.

24 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Hugh Freeze is seen as one of the bottom tier coaches in all of college football. His offensive designs are a mess. Many players have spoken out about hugh in his career.

Adding abysmal coaching in college to the fact that he blew people away in his interviews shows tremendous upside. Have no idea if it will work out or not, but all the ingredients are there, no doubt.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

Pickett is able to run but doesn't really Excell at it. I think he's about what burrow is as a runner. Willis is thicker built. Breaks tackles and as a runner probably is closer to hurts..

I agree with that much but you also listed Rodgers, herbert,  mahomes as dual threat qbs and he is in their league as a runner potentially if not better.