• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Malik Willis Pro Day

1 hour ago, micnificent28 said:

Well. What good does it do him to run the 40 or do any athletic testing? All it does is fuel the he can play multiple positions maybe move to wr nonsense we have seen with other athletic qbs. But, he was signed as athlete to play cb at first. So his speed must be legit. Other top athletic qbs lately have opted not to run including the fastest in the league Lamar jackson. 

I was asking around about his speed to other draft analyst and this was the reply

Screenshot_20220322-200950_Plume.jpg

Jackson's speed was undeniable. 

The speculation about other positions is not a reason to not test. If someone wants him to play WR or RB then he is looking at 4th round or later. That's not reality. I have always thought that was agent nonsense when that gets brought up for first or second round players.

Either way, it was just weird more than anything. The reasons to be down on him largely have to do with his ability to play QB, not run.

1 hour ago, Lets go get it Canes said:

….he was throwing against air with no 290lb DEs bearing down on him.  

Thats not what these events are for. They are to show what you CAN do in favorable conditions. You as a coach or gm it'd your job to see what they can do in a perfect situation then try to recreate those condition in game. Of course that's not going to be the case 90% of the time but that's the goal.

You could go out there and light it up like Willis did. Or you can go out and miss and come away with mote questions than answers like Corral did today and kill your buzz. It's not as easy as "throwing against air"

53 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Jackson's speed was undeniable. 

The speculation about other positions is not a reason to not test. If someone wants him to play WR or RB then he is looking at 4th round or later. That's not reality. I have always thought that was agent nonsense when that gets brought up for first or second round players.

Either way, it was just weird more than anything. The reasons to be down on him largely have to do with his ability to play QB, not run.

Kyler didn't run either... it seems to be a growing trend that these guys who are mentioned in the top of the first round have more to lose from running a slow 40 than running a fast one. 

Screenshot_20220323-233523_Chrome.jpg

8 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

Kyler didn't run either... it seems to be a growing trend that these guys who are mentioned in the top of the first round have more to lose from running a slow 40 than running a fast one. 

Screenshot_20220323-233523_Chrome.jpg

Yeah, I think the difference is that Willis being at the top of the round may or may not happen. 

It's also possible he is a mid to late 1st rounder.

11 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, I think the difference is that Willis being at the top of the round may or may not happen. 

It's also possible he is a mid to late 1st rounder.

I mean Lamar was like the 5th qb on most evaluators boards. He still didn't run. Willis has more claim to the top qb spot than he did. Screenshot_20220323-152331_Chrome.thumb.jpg.53717912c9e4552a94ce5202782273a1.jpg

People get caught up with this concept of floor/ceiling, but they only think in terms of arm strength and athletic ability.

What about their eyes?  Do they stare down receivers? That lowers your ceiling.  Can they manipulate a safety with their eyes? That raises their ceiling.

Can they go beyond just completing the pass and hit the receiver in stride so the receiver can convert the third down?  That raises their ceiling.  

Can they vary trajectory to drop a pass in a void on a cover-2?  That raises their ceiling.

Can they go through progressions or do they latch on to the first read?  At the NFL good DCs will take away your first read.

How many people here have actually sat down and watched a full game of any of these QB prospects, or are we just forming opinions off of pro days and highlight vids?

I actually took time to day to watch a full game cut up from Malik today and actually came away impressed.  Everyone talks about his arm strength but I saw some nice touch on some of the passes.

What I didn't see was him dropping back and going through a bunch of progressions and such.  Is that because he can't or is that because he wasn't asked to?  That is the big question that all of these evaluators have to ask.  Same could be said about some of these other QBs also.  

I do expect to go fairly high though, coaches fall in love with "tools" they assume they can teach the skills i was referring to earlier.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

24 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

I mean Lamar was like the 5th qb on most evaluators boards. He still didn't run. Willis has more claim to the top qb spot than he did. Screenshot_20220323-152331_Chrome.thumb.jpg.53717912c9e4552a94ce5202782273a1.jpg

The question is how desperate will teams be to get a QB and will that desperation lead them to taking a QB early?

For our team, it appears the answer is yes. However not all NFL teams are as desperate and stupid as we are. 

Not to mention that guys like Mayfield and Jimmy G may make the market skew depending on where they go. 

Lamar was also viewed as kind of a one trick pony by a lot of NFL types. Willis isn't the athlete nor was he the QB Jackson was in college.

I mean, hitch your bandwagon to whichever of these guys you want but I suspect it's gonna be a pretty sobering bunch to look at in 3-4 seasons. Outside of Pickett and Corrall, I am not sure I see a guy sticking around as even a potential starter at that point.

6 hours ago, AU-panther said:

People get caught up with this concept of floor/ceiling, but they only think in terms of arm strength and athletic ability.

What about their eyes?  Do they stare down receivers? That lowers your ceiling.  Can they manipulate a safety with their eyes? That raises their ceiling.

Can they go beyond just completing the pass and hit the receiver in stride so the receiver can convert the third down?  That raises their ceiling.  

Can they vary trajectory to drop a pass in a void on a cover-2?  That raises their ceiling.

Can they go through progressions or do they latch on to the first read?  At the NFL good DCs will take away your first read.

How many people here have actually sat down and watched a full game of any of these QB prospects, or are we just forming opinions off of pro days and highlight vids?

I actually took time to day to watch a full game cut up from Malik today and actually came away impressed.  Everyone talks about his arm strength but I saw some nice touch on some of the passes.

What I didn't see was him dropping back and going through a bunch of progressions and such.  Is that because he can't or is that because he wasn't asked to?  That is the big question that all of these evaluators have to ask.  Same could be said about some of these other QBs also.  

I do expect to go fairly high though, coaches fall in love with "tools" they assume they can teach the skills i was referring to earlier.

You know what I agree. But because one wasn't asked to do something doesn't mean they can't. From his scores this kid is very smart. As far as being a one read and go..where have we heard that before" coming from gus malzhan offense this kid doesn't see it. He's a one read and go" they said exactly that about cam newton. I think if he was 6'3 we wouldn't even be discussing who is the number 1 qb.