• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Panthers have first round grades on 3 QBs.

Zod

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't want a quarterback this year either but it's fair to ask, does a year under a guy like Garoppolo really advance us anywhere?

(getting Rhule fired does but that could just as easily happen with a rookie)

Jimmy G is better than these guys. Will Jimmy G get us where we need to go under a GOOD coaching staff? No. Will he get us there under this terrible coaching staff? HELLLLLL no.

11 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Jimmy G is better than these guys. Will Jimmy G get us where we need to go under a GOOD coaching staff? No. Will he get us there under this terrible coaching staff? HELLLLLL no.

But is that really better for us in the long run?

What does it accomplish that puts us in a better position for the future?

Edited by Mr. Scot

17 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

There isn't gambling. Gambling is drafting based on need and not grade. If you don't think one of these QB's is going to be elite, you don't take them at 6. That's the math. 

Take the best combination of need and best player that suits the team. You don't reach for a need or reach for a player if you don't think they will be elite. 

IMO, none of these QB's are worth taking in the 1st round because they are all very long shots to being elite QB's. So, if it's me, no chance I take one at six, no matter how much we need them.

2nd or 3rd round? Sure, we can gamble there. 

This draft success quite literally hinges on our 6th because we are unlikely to get anything out of the remaining picks(barring a trade down scenario). So, if it's me, I don't dummy this up and get cute. Take a player that is likely to be elite and preferably at a position of real need. 

If you want to make panic moves, Jimmy G and Baker are likely to be available after the draft. 

I agree with some of  your opinions.  If Ekonwu or Neal are there at 6, I think those are good picks.

But I disagree with your assessment of these QBs.  Many folks are mocking these guys in the top half of the first.  They all have the tools and smarts for success.  And history has proven you can win a championship with a QB that was not taken in the top 5.  Other than Peyton, Eli, and Stafford, I believe that every QB that has won a SB since 2000 was drafted at pick 6 or later.  For example Mahomes (10th), Rogers (24th), Roethlisberger (11th), Flacco (18th).  Hell, Foles, Johnson, Wilson, and Brady were picked in the 3rd round or later.

Point is, NFL teams have been winning SBs for years without the best QB on the planet on their roster.  No reason to think Panthers can't build around one of these 3 guys and get where they want to go.  Strong OL, Strong D, and an above average QB is a formula that has proven to work.  

• Pie 1

It’s funny Willis, Howell, and Pickett (not as highly as the first two) were all thought to have NFL potential. Pickett takes his gave to the next level and dominates and the other two face solid years with some regression (due to OL in my opinion), and suddenly they are terrible. Corral was on the radar as well and performed very well cutting down on his turnovers which was his biggest weakness. Corral and Pickett had big jumps and people think that can’t continue? That shows they are coachable and can develop their game further to me. Willis on the other hand has as much potential as a Trey Lance who went 3 overall in last year’s great class.

24 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

I want Corral some reason he’s my favorite. I think him and CMC would be great together.

I think you are right.  He fits our run heavy offense and can get it to CMC in a flash with some open space.  Willis is my favorite, but Howell fits what we are looking for more, but he won't have to sit as long as WIllis IMO.  Corral/CMC with the RPO would be something special.

Considering all three guys in the "top tier" have their flaws, you pick your poison. At this point with how we've selected QBs in our history, I'm in for going for the HR with Willis.

However, I do think Corral is being quite underappreciated and could be the best of the lot. It's all about fit and if Corral fits us and our personnel better, let's roll the dice.....because that's what any of these QBs are at this point. 

I do think Seattle moves up with either HOU or NYG to select Willis. I think there's a lot of Russ similarities there and they can ride with Lock for a year while Willis sits. Although, I think they do also like Corral a lot and can sit tight at 9 and select him. 

My concern is Rhule's hard-on for Pickett and being blind to other options depending on how the draft falls. If somehow Neal/Ickey falls to 6 and it's between them and Pickett....I have concerns.

• Pie 2