• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tony Pauline doesn't see a quarterback at #6

Mr. Scot

36 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Even if Baker was performing at an Alex Smith level in KC, if a talent like Watson comes available, you go after him. Watson can likely get you to a SB repeatedly, and that's what the ultimate goal is. 

He was arguably on the chopping block before Watson was a desire. He hasn't been a top 10 probably not a top 15 qb.

1 hour ago, micnificent28 said:

People kill me with these the value is here and all this. Guess what. Value is for people who have enough all ready. You don't go shopping for a luxury car when you riding a bike. We know the tackles are safer and probably better but if you don't have a guy to build around that value doesn't really matter. 

The value of a qb isn't just in that. Your valuing that qb vs all the other guys you  can sign on his rookie contract vs a tackle.

Essentially people are arguing in favour of taking a 2nd round talent QB at #6 because "we have no QB and your team is nothing without one".

At best those people should be arguing in favour of trading down and getting their mediocre QB prospect and A.N. Other. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I think it is going to be:

1. OT.......all three gone?

2. Trade Back.....no takers?

3. Edge or QB

This is what I’m hoping for too, but I think this is what the front office wants.

1. Malik Willis at #6 (I think he’ll go #2 to Detroit or in a trade up to #5 by another team).

2. Trade back…..no takers?

3. Neal/Cross/Walker/Ikem/Pickett/Gardner/Stingley/Thibodeaux (In that order)

They really want a trade back, I still think they want a QB, but Willis is the only viable option at #6 unless they are willing to commit seppuku with Pickett. My gut tells me we trade back, even if we lose a little on the value chart. I also think we’ll take a QB, whether with the trade down 1st or the other trade pick we get. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Essentially people are arguing in favour of taking a 2nd round talent QB at #6 because "we have no QB and your team is nothing without one".

At best those people should be arguing in favour of trading down and getting their mediocre QB prospect and A.N. Other. 

At worst I have seen Willis at late first round. How so you come into the league with top 5 rushing ability( probably top 3) and a top 10 arm. And yet you come away with 2nd round talent? But then again people wanted to say Lamar jackson should change positions and went near the second round as well. People who don't like the way a certain guy plays tend to overlook what he does well.

6 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

At worst I have seen Willis at late first round. How so you come into the league with top 5 rushing ability( probably top 3) and a top 10 arm. And yet you come away with 2nd round talent? But then again people wanted to say Lamar jackson should change positions and went near the second round as well. People who don't like the way a certain guy plays tend to overlook what he does well.

Because first and foremost his job is to diagnose defences and throw the football.

That's not a strong point for him. 

I'm the person that thinks we should have hired the Auburn OC when we drafted Newton and brought that offensive system with him - it's what he did best and the reason he was a giant in College football. 

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Because first and foremost his job is to diagnose defences and throw the football.

That's not a strong point for him. 

I'm the person that thinks we should have hired the Auburn OC when we drafted Newton and brought that offensive system with him - it's what he did best and the reason he was a giant in College football. 

Who's to say he can't do that? It's the same situation as cam coming out of Auburn. They said his job first and foremost was to diagnose and throw the football but because he wasn't asked to do so it's assumed he can't? 

This isn't rocket science and since he scored the highest wonderlic score by qbs in this class I'm going to assume he has the brain to read and diagnose as good or better than the other guys. He comes with all the parts to excel at the next level you just got to coach him up. No other qb has that upside in this class

Edited by micnificent28

10 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

Who's to say he can't do that? It's the same situation as cam coming out of Auburn. They said his job first and foremost was to diagnose and throw the football but because he wasn't asked to do so it's assumed he can't? 

This isn't rocket science and since he scored the highest wonderlic score by qbs in this class I'm going to assume he has the brain to read and diagnose as good or better than the other guys. He comes with all the parts to excel at the next level you just got to coach him up. No other qb has that upside in this class

He seems like a weapon for definite but I wish his accuracy was a little better. I don't even think he will get to us. I bet he is gone before pick 6

17 minutes ago, YourLastThought said:

He seems like a weapon for definite but I wish his accuracy was a little better. I don't even think he will get to us. I bet he is gone before pick 6

I don't think he's nearly as inaccurate as people think. They make it seem like he really can't throw. And yet after practice at the senior bowl. Video is in the link don't know how to embed tweets on here.

https://twitter.com/ChaseGoodbread/status/1489358463180410884?s=20&t=dD1qHUsQKxMfU80A2cjOXA

Screenshot_20220423-122428_Chrome.jpg

Edited by micnificent28
  • Beer 1

55 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

Because you have to add in college Productions (which isn't great) readiness to play day 1 (which isn't likely) and experience in a pro system (played in a Mickey mouse offense no experience in multiple reads system)..

Just talking about physical skill is a recipe in drafting a bust..

Don't care what these Forum GM's and scouts think anymore at this point..

They've had to much time talking themselves into players and not recognizing it..

There is a established criteria and standards for drafting players..

1. Physical talent 

2. College Productions 

3. Positional value 

4. Readiness day 1

You can miss out on 1 of these but 2 or more and you shouldn't be a top 10 pick..

• Pie 1

13 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Pauline also agrees that Scott Fitterer and Matt Rhule might not be on the same page regarding the future of the Panthers.

As an aside, I've never heard Pauline's voice before. He sounds like Hawkeye Pierce 😕

Spot on with the Alan Alda comparison. 

2 hours ago, WOW!! said:

Because you have to add in college Productions (which isn't great) readiness to play day 1 (which isn't likely) and experience in a pro system (played in a Mickey mouse offense no experience in multiple reads system)..

Just talking about physical skill is a recipe in drafting a bust..

That's not how it works. You scout traits that can translate to the next level. Willis arm talent and ability to create and throw of platform translate. College production isn't a good indicator of next level skills. Of course you rather have it but Stats don't=good.

Stats can be inflated or deflated based on talent around them or college system. Basically a bad offensive coordinator or offensive line can make anyone look good or bad. Look at what they can do is the best way to scout. If we looked at stats as the end all be all we wouldn't have Josh allen.

Edited by micnificent28