• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bob McGinn's annual draft spectacular (QB class)

TheSpecialJuan

25 minutes ago, Lurk21 said:

For some reason, Pickett is giving me Blaine Gabbert vibes lately. I remember  Blaine was athletic and actually  had an arm. Still, he is a need everything to go right to have a shot type... hard pass on Pickett

That was a comp I was seeing as well.  Gabbert probably had the stronger arm too.  He was highly regarded and some had him above Cam.  

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/blaine-gabbert/32004741-4222-1145-cd0f-449f7f72bdc9

Notice the hand size there 😉

Edited by Shocker
  • Beer 1

Take Zappe in the late rounds, because we're going to need a backup QB here, too. That bench is worthless at the moment. Maybe play the kid a bit later in the year.

Take OT at 6 and set your line. Grab this kid and either get a decent back-up or maybe find a Jake Delhomme type.

7. BAILEY ZAPPE, Western Kentucky (6-0 ½, 217, 4.85, 5): Started at FCS Houston Baptist from 2017-’20 before transferring up a level to the Hilltoppers in ’21. “At the beginning of the season I wouldn’t have given you poo for him,” one scout said. “He looked awful on the hoof. He’s coming out of the Air Raid offense. Name me a quarterback not named Mahomes that succeeded from there? I watched the Houston Baptist film and it was like playground football. But he had a great season (’21). He elevated the team at Western Kentucky. He has a really quick release. He’s got a lot of swagger. He’s smart (Wonderlic of 35). He’s got some baller in him. But he’s not a very good athlete for a smaller guy. Arm strength is an issue. He’s like a West Coast, dink-dunk, poor man’s Chase Daniel, maybe. If you want to keep a third guy and develop him as a backup … he’s got something to work with.” Improved his passer rating each season, finishing with 97.8. Hands were 9 ¾. “He had a phenomenal year,” said a second scout. “There’s no way this guy’s a real NFL quarterback. But, with some of these spread coaches coming into the league, maybe somebody would take him as a No. 3. He got exposed in the Senior Bowl game. Looked like he was in the wrong weight division.” From Victoria, Texas.

28 minutes ago, Lurk21 said:

For some reason, Pickett is giving me Blaine Gabbert vibes lately. I remember  Blaine was athletic and actually  had an arm. Still, he is a need everything to go right to have a shot type... hard pass on Pickett

Pickett isn't as gifted as Gabbert that should tell you something 

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Take Zappe in the late rounds, because we're going to need a backup QB here, too. That bench is worthless at the moment. Maybe play the kid a bit later in the year.

Take OT at 6 and set your line. Grab this kid and either get a decent back-up or maybe find a Jake Delhomme type.

7. BAILEY ZAPPE, Western Kentucky (6-0 ½, 217, 4.85, 5): Started at FCS Houston Baptist from 2017-’20 before transferring up a level to the Hilltoppers in ’21. “At the beginning of the season I wouldn’t have given you poo for him,” one scout said. “He looked awful on the hoof. He’s coming out of the Air Raid offense. Name me a quarterback not named Mahomes that succeeded from there? I watched the Houston Baptist film and it was like playground football. But he had a great season (’21). He elevated the team at Western Kentucky. He has a really quick release. He’s got a lot of swagger. He’s smart (Wonderlic of 35). He’s got some baller in him. But he’s not a very good athlete for a smaller guy. Arm strength is an issue. He’s like a West Coast, dink-dunk, poor man’s Chase Daniel, maybe. If you want to keep a third guy and develop him as a backup … he’s got something to work with.” Improved his passer rating each season, finishing with 97.8. Hands were 9 ¾. “He had a phenomenal year,” said a second scout. “There’s no way this guy’s a real NFL quarterback. But, with some of these spread coaches coming into the league, maybe somebody would take him as a No. 3. He got exposed in the Senior Bowl game. Looked like he was in the wrong weight division.” From Victoria, Texas.

Zappe's ceiling is Chad Pennington. 

17 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Zappe's ceiling is Chad Pennington. 

Which, if you're looking at the kid as a back up QB would be excellent.

Get him a bit of field time this year after Rhule has left, then set him up behind our high first round pick next season.

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

9 wins a year with a playoff appearance sprinkled in every 3-4 years with a first round exit 

That's honestly probably the ceiling with Pickett unless you have a great roster and lean really hard on the run. He's the opposite of what you want out of a 1st round QB IMO. If all goes well, his ceiling is probably Tannehill. Now Tannehill is a good QB but that level of QB really puts a lot of pressure on the rest of your roster. If that's a prospect's ceiling I honestly don't think you can draft him in the 1st.

20 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I'd take Pennington as a back up.   Could hold status quo for a few games if it came to that if this team was in the hunt.  I would do a 5th for him nothing more

Yeah, I would be fine with him as a later round pick. Our QB room is absolute ass.

59 minutes ago, Shocker said:

That was a comp I was seeing as well.  Gabbert probably had the stronger arm too.  He was highly regarded and some had him above Cam.  

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/blaine-gabbert/32004741-4222-1145-cd0f-449f7f72bdc9

Notice the hand size there 😉

Yeah, that is definitely  something  that makes Pickett  even worse! Lol Gabby had everything physically but still flopped.   Now imagine  Rhule job on the line and Pickett  pressured to save him... horrible  scenario!!!