• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Malik WIllis

janderson20vt

3 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

The point was scheme changes happen. Even if slightly.. I think chuds version of the air Coryell was more dynamic than say norvs version. I also don't think Willis is anyone more pigeon toed into a scheme as the rest of the qbs left in the draft. If he is a Coryell dependent qb so would ridder, Howell, and corral I believe.

That said I think you just add in some plays you know he can run and develop him from there. In that aspect he runs very well so throw in some read options rpos and that gives you a higher floor because we know he can do that than any other qb in this draft and bring him along the rest of the way. That's my thinking.

Again, you're citing an example of a coaching change (not a firing but still a change).

Bottom line though, for a scheme like ours you want a Drew Brees style quarterback.

That's not Willis.

Just now, micnificent28 said:

Another point about scheme is it didn't stop us from requiring cam last season who is vastly different scheme wise from darnold or the patriots who acquired Newton who have never run anything like the system cam has run before. Scheme is important but football still fundamentally is played 11 on 11 and the best guys win. Adapt.

And then benches him for Darnold...

Just now, Icege said:

I can understand Willis falling to the 2nd round as many teams want that 1st round pick to be an instant starter, but was surprised that a team didn't want to move up and have a 5th year option available.

I think because of the movement this past ofseason and precieved weakness at the position one of the two qbs was at risk of falling to the second round. If pit went Willis then it would be Pickett. The need just isn't there this season. It's similar to Rodgers and Alex Smith.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

I think because of the movement this past ofseason and precieved weakness at the position one of the two qbs was at risk of falling to the second round. If pit went Willis then it would be Pickett. The need just isn't there this season. It's similar to Rodgers and Alex Smith.

I'm wondering if he's going to have a start similar to what Jalen Hurts experienced. I can see Seattle moving up to take him or even Atlanta. Both would be ideal for him as he'd maybe even get to start during his rookie season depending on how the team's season goes.

• Pie 1

25 minutes ago, Icege said:

I can understand Willis falling to the 2nd round as many teams want that 1st round pick to be an instant starter, but was surprised that a team didn't want to move up and have a 5th year option available.

For a guy who's probably going to need a year or so before he's ready to start, a fifth year option would be ideal.

4 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

Dan Patrick, just said on his show that he’s heard that Malik Willis is considered a developmental project and most teams have a 3rd round grade on him. Also that the Hype about him is media driven.

fuging called it! Been saying this the whole time!

Anyone with a brain could see it.

I loled regularly at our Huddle armchair QB experts that were fooled by this class.

As predicted, the league showed what they thought of this class. It is historically bad.

• Pie 2

Let me say this as well .. I love the kid love his attitude I like how he share success with his teammates. He is a leader and definitely a hard worker...

I can see him working his way to franchise QB potential..

But it's going to take alot of time and luck and a very good situation/environment for him to develop.. And you don't spend 1st or 2nd round money on that... Maybe not even 3rd unless you have that luxury..

Edited by WOW!!

6 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Let me say this as well .. I love the kid love his attitude I like how he share success with his teammates. He is a leader and definitely a hard worker...

I can see him working his way to franchise QB potential..

But it's going to take alot of time and luck and a very good situation/environment for him to develop.. And you don't spend 1st or 2nd round money on that... Maybe not even 3rd unless you have that luxury..

I would say a lot of things need to go right.

He needs the right team, with the right plan, with the right offense with the right coaching.

And then throw in a little luck...

• Beer 1

19 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

Dan Patrick, just said on his show that he’s heard that Malik Willis is considered a developmental project and most teams have a 3rd round grade on him. Also that the Hype about him is media driven.

fuging called it! Been saying this the whole time!

I've been saying the same thing. Never listen to the hype. 

1 hour ago, micnificent28 said:

Another point about scheme is it didn't stop us from requiring cam last season who is vastly different scheme wise from darnold or the patriots who acquired Newton who have never run anything like the system cam has run before. Scheme is important but football still fundamentally is played 11 on 11 and the best guys win. Adapt.

Absolutely agree. I don't have a ton of respect for the "muh system" type coaches. Any decent coach can win given a roster that fits his ideal philosophies. A great coach can tweak his systems and philosophies to fit his talent and that flexibility allows him to largely ignore scheme fits and simply focus on acquiring the best possible talent. Relying on ideal scheme fits just shoehorns you into bad spots.

• Beer 1