• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cap hit on Anderson...

Jmac

If we trade him before June 1st, we would have a huge cap hit. Since we restructured him that would be the consequence. I'm not a cap guru, but it appears to be along the lines of 17 million. If this is false please say so.

If true, how the fug do you recoup anything at all by trading him and eating that $$$?

1 minute ago, Jmac said:

If we trade him before June 1st, we would have a huge cap hit. Since we restructured him that would be the consequence. I'm not a cap guru, but it appears to be along the lines of 17 million. If this is false please say so.

If true, how the fug do you recoup anything at all by trading him and eating that $$$?

If I'm not mistaken, we are already eating 10m of it.  That's his cap hit for this year on the Panthers' roster.

If he leaves, we're out an extra 8m. or so. 

Question is, would you pay 8m. to get a 2nd rounder?

15 minutes ago, CRA said:

Robby Anderson Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

basically a 10 million difference in cap hit pre vs post June

19m vs 9m

Interesting... Usually the only change in pre vs. post June is the dead cap hit being able to be spread out further versus counting this year, but OTC shows that it's actually a $10M difference in total dead cap if we wait until post June 1st.

Basically we can't get rid of him until after June 1st or we're needlessly wasting $10M in cap space. We could trade future picks to get our QB today and then recoup some of them by trading Robby post June 1st but yeah that aspect of his contract definitely complicates a trade tonight.

2 minutes ago, t96 said:

Interesting... Usually the only change in pre vs. post June is the dead cap hit being able to be spread out further versus counting this year, but OTC shows that it's actually a $10M difference in total dead cap if we wait until post June 1st.

Basically we can't get rid of him until after June 1st or we're needlessly wasting $10M in cap space. We could trade future picks to get our QB today and then recoup some of them by trading Robby post June 1st but yeah that aspect of his contract definitely complicates a trade tonight.

I think it has something to do with us restructuring his contract and kicking $ over to next season. The money is due either way but I guess if it's pre-June we're stuck with taking on all the dead cap now vs spreading it out over 2 years. That's my guess anyway, OTC doesn't really let you see how both years when you select the trade options

56 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I think it has something to do with us restructuring his contract and kicking $ over to next season. The money is due either way but I guess if it's pre-June we're stuck with taking on all the dead cap now vs spreading it out over 2 years. That's my guess anyway, OTC doesn't really let you see how both years when you select the trade options

OTC does show it. Year 2 (well year 3, but I mean 2023) is shown and doesn't change when choosing pre or post June 1st trade. What you described is how most contracts work when I look at them on there like that but seemingly not this one for some reason.