• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker Mayfield watch

ncfan

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Well they didn't immediately pull the trigger so it wasn't Darnold/Jets bad, apparently. 

Don't believe it would be that bad, but pretty much every source says the sticking point is how much of Mayfield's salary they're willing to pay. The return doesn't seem to be an issue.

That makes me think that our offer is quite possibly more than I would like.

• Beer 1

Baker is just Sam with a worse personality and slightly better on the field. It is all so stupid and sad. Dookie is still just dookie, some just stinks less. Whatever, he is a very boo-able guy so that will feel less like kicking a beaten puppy this year I guess. Nothing really changes in the end except more wasted cap and draft capital in the end. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Paying the same amount I could deal with.

Us paying more of Darnold's salary than Cleveland pays of Mayfield's though would feel like we lost the staring contest.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think it’s likely Sam gets traded anywhere, but I do think they have some degree of interest in finding a way to unload his cap hit, or at least a portion of it. I also think it’s a decent idea to just move ahead with Darnold, Corral, and stay true to the “patience” mantra. But, if they want to acquire Baker, while unloading Sam, there’s some complexity to that, and I’m not certain it’s all worth it—just from my view.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 4

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Don't believe it would be that bad, but pretty much every source says the sticking point is how much of Mayfield's salary they're willing to pay. The return doesn't seem to be an issue.

That makes me think that our offer is quite possibly more than I would like.

Eh....we will see. Anything above a 5th and I am not gonna be pleased. 1st to 3rd round should be completely off the table. 4th if they take Darnold and all his salary.

2 minutes ago, SazmoRanger said:

Chub missing 2 games is “several”? Why bring that up when we have a RB that has missed 23 games in 2 years? Hell, you made my point about TE. Hooper and Njoku is 1000x better than all of our TEs. My point is even if our roster is EQUAL to the 2020 Browns(it’s not), why do you think Baker can come in here and do something when he’s proven he can’t with an equal roster with better coaches? 

I'm looking at the team he took to the playoffs end results versus our roster.  Any injuries to our future roster would be an unknown (yes CMC would be an educated guess).  My point is that roster (2020 Browns) had many injuries and he wasn't being carried by some All Star team that season.  A rookie LT on a good OL with one solid WR for less than half the season and a good RB.  Hooper was their top TE with 46 catches for 435 yards and 4 TDs.  Is that 1000x better than what McAdoo can do with Baker throwing to Tremble or Thomas?  I'm not sure about that.  

Just now, ellis said:

For what it’s worth, I don’t think it’s likely Sam gets traded anywhere, but I do think they have some degree of interest in finding a way to unload his cap hit, or at least a portion of it. I also think it’s a decent idea to just move ahead with Darnold, Corral, and stay true to the “patience” mantra. But, if they want to acquire Baker, while unloading Sam, there’s some complexity to that, and I’m not certain it’s all worth it—just from my view.

No argument...

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Well Corral also might not be the answer. He was a 3rd round(likely would have been 4th) QB. 

You really expect them to put all their eggs in that basket?

At least try to develop someone. 

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I really doubt Darnold ends up in the deal. Doesn't make sense for the Browns to take him. 

Generally, I agree with that. I don’t truly think it’s going to work out that way, just throwing out some potential scenarios, if indeed Carolina wants to try to move him off the roster without eating his (entire) salary. 

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Well Corral also might not be the answer. He was a 3rd round(likely would have been 4th) QB. 

You really expect them to put all their eggs in that basket?

They did have a first round grade on him.

(and no I don't think that's post draft bullsh-t)

That, plus Fitterer talking about wanting to build around him (his ideal scenario) makes me think they do believe in him.

Whether he can live up to that is yet to be seen.

Edited by Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, ellis said:

Generally, I agree with that. I don’t truly think it’s going to work out that way, just throwing out some potential scenarios, if indeed Carolina wants to try to move him off the roster without eating his (entire) salary. 

I would guess they have tried to dump him most of the offseason and gotten next to no interest that wasn't wildly in the other teams favor. 

Even if it did happen, I would bet the Browns just basically cut him.

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

He can be developed on the bench. Although if you can't beat out these guys, not sure any development will matter much.

I also don't know that this is the staff to even be able to develop him.

Looking over the NFL qbs that are worth a poo, how many were "developed"?  For the record I am not even counting Mahomes as he was blistering practice his rookie season

• Beer 2