• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why can't they do this with NFL stadiums?

ladypanther

7 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

That has changed dramatically. 

The Olympic committee HATED the overly commercialized Atlanta games.  They may have made rules prohibiting it from happening again.

Still, it does prove that an Olympics could be hosted without a debilitating economic impact.

I think an argument could be made for a permanent "home" for the summer and winter games (making things a bit more cost-effective from that viewpoint), and then various countries could bid to be that particular year's Host Country at the venue.

But that ain't going to happen any time soon.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

8 hours ago, PanthersATL said:

the Atlanta Olympics didn't leave the city saddled with debt or a bunch of venues that were left to deteriorate over time. 

Granted, some haven't lasted (the tennis facility made a solid attempt, but ultimately was sold to a developer) - but it was still less of a negative economic impact than other cities have fared.

(sure, there was an insane amount of merchandising/sponsorship/logos everywhere -- but that's the tradeoff)

Atlanta lucked out and they're probably more sensitive to the optics in the US in general. Rio had 20K homes evicted and they basically just let all the Olympic buildings rot after the events were over, Tokyo had thousands kicked out of neighborhoods, all to build new buildings for the Olympics that eventually they just try to sell as high end Condos and Office space. 

On 6/25/2022 at 4:13 PM, ladypanther said:

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Tennessee-Vols-Football-Neyland-Stadium-Renovation-2022-New-Neyland-Stadium-capacity-revealed-189144878/

So...over 100 years old and doing very well.  An NFL stadium is old at 20.  Seems like something is not right here.

I'd say the difference is in the fact that Tennessee is a public institution. Funds are provided by the state government and the UT university system. They don't have an ownership that can threaten to move them if they don't provide funding (also considering they already receive government funding).

It is frustrating seeing billionaires complain about stadiums and their sorry lot in life, but as long as the ratings are there and people continue to show up for the games, I don't see the formula changing.

6 hours ago, PanthersATL said:

The Olympic committee HATED the overly commercialized Atlanta games.

If "the Olympic committee HATED" it...

...then Billy Payne and the local organization must have nailed it in Atlanta!  (and the results prove they did)

Ditto Peter Ueberroth in L.A. 👊.

Screw the Olympic Committee and the entire operation, they literally  define corrupt 🤦‍♂️.

• Poo 1

4 hours ago, Raleigh PF said:

It is frustrating seeing billionaires complain about stadiums and their sorry lot in life, but as long as the ratings are there and people continue to show up for the games, I don't see the formula changing.

Local government can put an immediate halt to the "billionaires complaining"...

...all they have to do is Just Say No 🤙.

Let's all vote for Charloot City Council members and other elected officials who will put that greedy Tepper in his place and decline to fund a new stadium for him 👊.

Edited by SizzleBuzz

Arizona State did a major renovation on Sun Devil Stadium a few years back.  If you look at various pictures, they pretty much razed and rebuilt the stadium in two or three sections until what resulted was basically a new stadium that looked similar to the old one, in the same location.

The problem with just renovating is the original structure may not support it (I read somewhere that Lambeau has gone about as far as the underlying structure will support), and even if it does, expanding things like restrooms and concession areas is not easy in an existing structure.

Renovating takes time and will either require the team to play at least one season outside of its home stadium and maybe outside of its home market, depending on where the nearest stadium is that can provide enough seating and good enough facilities.  The Bears had to play 2002 in the University of Illinois stadium 140 miles away while Soldier Field was being rebuilt.  I doubt that it is much cheaper (assuming they are not building something like the Jones Palace to the Excess).  Whenever something is renovated, problems are always found that delay things and add cost.

St. Louis essentially did a hybrid approach when they tore down Busch Stadium and built the new baseball park.  They built the new one on a piece of land adjoining the old one (was parking garages, I think).  They were able to build about 2/3rds of it without tearing down the old stadium.  After the 2005 baseball season ended, they took down the old stadium and finished the new one.  That reduced the risk that the new stadium would not be ready for opening day 2006 (although it was still not complete).

10 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Local government can put an immediate halt to the "billionaires complaining"...

...all they have to do is Just Say No 🤙.

Let's all vote for Charloot City Council members and other elected officials who will put that greedy Tepper in his place and decline to fund a new stadium for him 👊.

Yep, that's a good plan for the San Antonio Panthers.

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, Raleigh PF said:

Yep, that's a good plan for the San Antonio Panthers.

That's the drawback of saying no and holding ground I think. New owner wants new stadium and wants city to pay, city says nope so new owner threatens leaving. It's like a catch 22 there. Some side is going to lose and usually if anyone loses it will be the fans who line the packets of all involved in some way shape or form. I guess the ultimate loss for us as fans would be to lose the entire team to another city which is always a risk if that hard line no is drawn in the sand.