• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Brady revisited

Mr. Scot

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Honest NFL is a former NFL scout who posts a lot of play analysis. Pretty good follow if you're into the nuts and bolts of football.

His opinion here is that Brady was "scapegoated" and ultimately let go more because he didn't mesh with Matt Rhule than anything else.

IMO he wasn't ready, but he also did get scapegoated. I still believe Rhule canned him because Tepper was going to fire Rhule if he didn't fire someone. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

From what I've seen, it looks like Dave Aranda is doing better at Baylor than Rhule did. I do agree he's better suited to college though.

When I look at Rhule, I see less "head coach" and more consultant / efficiency expert. He comes to your team, helps improve some things and then moves on.

That doesn't really work in the NFL of course...

Art Briles almost completely destroyed that program and Rhule had to build it back from the ashes. Dave Aranda got to follow Rhule. Major difference.  

• Pie 1

Joe Brady was always going to be a disaster hire due to his lack of experience. 

The Panthers coaching staff the last 2 seasons was probably had the least amount of collective NFL experience. It took them two 5 win seasons to think oh maybe we should get some more experienced minds in here. That's pretty embarrassing if you ask me. 

I'm glad a guy like Steve Wilks is back to be an adult in the room but it just too little too late. 

1 minute ago, PantherGuy said:

IMO he wasn't ready, but he also did get scapegoated. I still believe Rhule canned him because Tepper was going to fire Rhule if he didn't fire someone. 

this

the boos had to be stopped.   They went the Cam route.  That bought a couple weeks.  It wasn't going to be enough.  Then they threw Brady out there.  Which didn't and wasn't going to change anything.  But give the angry fans some satisfaction something we being done. 

Rhule has to win this year.  Because there is no Cam or coach fire to appease to booing masses this upcoming seaosn.  And there is no arguement that he can stay employed if he is being booed out of the stadium starting midseason to the end. 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, PantherGuy said:

I don't know if Tepper was going to fire Rhule, but I think the conversation went about the same way it did when he asked Ron how he was going to fix the defense after 2018.  The next thing you know, we were switching to a 3-4, kinda, sort, because Ron didn't have another answer (and Tepper liked the 3-4).  When Rhule was asked how he was going to fix the offense, lacking any other answer he fired Brady.

4 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

Art Briles almost completely destroyed that program and Rhule had to build it back from the ashes. Dave Aranda got to follow Rhule. Major difference.  

Baylor football was going to come back no matter what, too much $$$ in that program to stay down long. 

2 minutes ago, poundaway said:

All that is well good.  Except I didn't say "this time last year".

I said "end the season last year ".  Go reread my post that YOU replied to.  I said end of the season last year.

Read much?

I did. In fact you may not realize this, but I can quote it.

Here's your original...

1 hour ago, poundaway said:

The only indications is huddle and media chatter.  The same chatter that said he'd be gone this year.

You'll note that the words "end of season" don't appear in this post.

Here's my response...

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeeeeaaah...nobody was predicting Matt Rhule was gonna be fired this time last year.

I can try again to explain what the phrase "this time last year" means, but I have a feeling you still won't get it. You tried to pivot later to "end of season" but your whole argument had fallen flat already 😆

So, bottom line, people didn't hate Matt Rhule and weren't calling for his head after year one. That didn't start until deep into year two when it became pretty obvious he was failing.

The criticisms being leveled at him right now are thoroughly justified.

The optimism from some like you who insist that year three will be different is...a stretch.

10 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Brady was 6-feet of man in 13 feet of water as an NFL OC.  He worked for a guy who is 6-feet of man in 15 feet of water as an NFL HC. 

Maybe, if you put Brady in as the OC under Belichick or Reed, his “lift” is lightened and he gradually succeeds.  Maybe.  I’m not sure he works out under anybody else other than maybe McVeay…..even more maybe.  His chances were certainly not enhanced by coming into a situation where he was one of the few coaches with NFL experience, working for a guy who had basically none.  It falls into “what did we think was going to happen?”

A red flag for college coaches and some NFL coaches is when they talk about how “their system” (“the process” here) leads to success.  When has anybody heard Bill Belichick talk about his system?  Reid?  John Harbaugh?  Tomlin?  Don Shula?  Bill Parcells?  Bill Walsh?  Joe Gibbs?  Jimmy Johnson?  It’s not that they don’t have a way they would like to do things, but given a choice between that or adjusting to what they have to work with, what is working in a given game, or what the opponent does, what they want to do goes out the window.  "Their system/process" is to win by whatever means they can devise.

An aside, it is my observation that OCs are more bull-headed about sticking to or returning to what they want to do (their system) than DCs. 

There's no shame in having a ceiling as a good NFL coordinator, position coach, college HC, college coordinator, etc.  In fact, I respect people who reach their sweet spot, then either stick their toes in the water at the next step or seriously consider it and realize it is just not their cup of tea and return to what they are very good at or enjoy.  Some eventually try again and a few of them succeed, with the benefit of more experience.  Maybe Brady is one of those.

But, the Brady experiment needed to end and it did.  At the same time, he might have been a scapegoat since he was not the only guy on the sidelines that had no answers.

As for Rhule, the deer in the headlights look last year and continuing to mumble about "the process" is not a promising look. I've been watching the NFL for a long time and seen that many times before, and it has never ended well.

Reality among the success stories is that the coach is the process.

8 minutes ago, PantherGuy said:

I'd agree...

4 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I don't know if Tepper was going to fire Rhule, but I think the conversation went about the same way it did when he asked Ron how he was going to fix the defense after 2018.  The next thing you know, we were switching to a 3-4, kinda, sort, because Ron didn't have another answer (and Tepper liked the 3-4).  When Rhule was asked how he was going to fix the offense, lacking any other answer he fired Brady.

Or Jerry Richardson and Marty Hurney's "I don't know" conversation.

Given the revelations that have come out since about Marty falling on the sword to save Rivera though, I'm no longer sure what to think about that story.

11 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

weird, Baylor got punished and basically had 2 down seasons as a result...and was right back to being Baylor. 

building from the ashes?  Jay Z's cousin's mom or something apparently said that takes like 7 years to build something from the ground up.  So that's not what happened there. 

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Reality among the success stories is that the coach is the process.

I agree with that.  Looking back at Hoodie's 20+ years in New England, I doubt that anybody can identify what his desired style of play is, based on the game films, or his "system" for building a team, based on the various ways he has pieced rosters together.  He is the process, and his system is to win. 

Reid is a little more "visible" in what he likes to do, but still, there is that winning thing.

If the guys I mentioned had a tell, it was how they handled things going to he11 around them and how they circled the wagons.