• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fitt: We want Corral to have time to learn and develop but he's going to compete

Proudiddy

29 minutes ago, davos said:

NFL Draft: Round-by-Round QB Study (1994-2016) | Football Outsiders

It's a mix.  You have to roll with what's working, sometimes those guys can be ready sooner than later, others take time, and MOST others it's apparent they aren't NFL caliber--the Hackenbergs, David Greenes, Clausen, Griers of the world.  It is made EXTREMELY apparent in camp and preseason if a guy is clicking with NFL speed and mentality or not. It was pretty damn clear with Jimmy & Grier and those hype trains fizzled very quickly once seen by fans on the field.

The good examples (bolded SB winners):

Kordell, Plummer, Brees, Derek Carr, Kaep, Dak, Wilson, Cousins, Mills, Jimmy G, Foles, Schaub (early career)--there are plenty of examples of moderate to Super Bowl Day-2 success. 

3 super bowl winning QBs, 2 SB losing QBs were Day-2 picks since 2010.  Out of the winners, that is excluding Brady (Day 3) who takes up 4 of those. The rest were the Mannings (1-1), Flacco (1-18), Rodgers (1-24), Stafford (1-1), & Mahomes (1-1).

To make my own counter argument, if you open it up and look at all 4 QBs in champ games, then it gets obvious to prefer taking a QB in the top-20.  

That's not me saying, "well let's just throw Corral in unseen", but it shouldn't be black and white, well Grier sucked, don't rush this kid on.  It's entirely situational, team/supporting cast dependent and based on the individual.  Come the season, if he seems to have the locker room and playbook and let's say Baker is shaky, let's kick the tires on him.

Good info and it coincides with what I have been saying.  Sure there are examples of guys sitting and then lighting the world on fire, they are few and far between, but for the most part if a guy can play qb in the nfl he can play qb in the nfl basically from the jump and without some mythical redshirt year.

Having said that, looking at the data its going to be astronomical for Corral to achieve that as a 3rd round pick but I would at least like to see him at some point this year instead of rolling the dice that this staff will be around next season and letting him play

1 hour ago, PizzaTheHutt said:

“I took the easy way out because I felt I could play right away,” Corral said about his decision to play for the Rebels, per The Charlotte Observer. “Knowing what I know now and trusting my instincts and trusting my work ethic, I would have went to a place that would have made me compete.”

awwww man. I love the dude to death and he played his butt off for Ole Miss, but I wish that he would have phrased this better. And I get what he's saying about quarterback competition in the locker room...but come on my dude, you played in the SEC West. THERE is your competition. 

Someone get #9 some media lessons along with his playbook. 

I mean... it's common knowledge he never wanted to go to Ole Miss in the first place. It was just his only real commitable P5 offer after the Gretzky stuff

4 hours ago, ladypanther said:

Good post @ProudiddyGreat thing about this situation is that Coral does not have to be rushed into things before he is ready.  If he is ready sooner than later that is great. He gets to move forward  and work to earn the position while having the chance to learn rather than struggle to survive.  Much better for him and the team. First thing Rhule has done right with the QB position since he has been here.

Glad you and your  family got thru covid ok. Hope for no lingering effects.  Have an appt this morning to get a covid test.  Felt like crap yesterday with a fever.  Not as bad this morning but am going to be safe.

Thank you, LP and wishing you the best!  It was no joke. I spiked a fever of 101 within minutes one night, then it went down, then came back the next night.  Weirdest thing I ever experienced...  a myriad of symptoms that seemingly would pop up after I cleared another symptom, and it went on like that for at least a full week.  Upset stomach, weakness, fatigue, cough, congestion, fever, sore throat, heart racing, etc.  It took about a full two weeks to clear everything, but thankfully I feel normal again!

4 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Glad to hear you all recovered.  It seems to be more treatable now that a couple years ago, but you are right about keeping your guard up.  I'm just happy our QB room is MUCH better than last season.  Baker/Corral > Sam/PJ and it's not even close!

Thanks!  What I learned during this is that it definitely is more treatable, but if you sense anything is off or different, like you suspect it's just a cold or could possibly be covid, get a test and you can get treatment within the first three to five days of onset of symptoms.  Unfortunately, we were confused on our timeline and thought maybe we were already on the backend of our infections, so by the time we realized we weren't, we just had to tough it out and it wasn't very fun.

10 hours ago, top dawg said:

Glad your fam got through Covid. My fam had its bouts back in January. It's not fun. Some extended fam even as late as this month as well. I'm gonna tell y'all right now: don't get complacent with BA.5. At least keep aware of what's going on with it. 

Y'all already know how I feel about MC9. It's time to watch.

I am smiling at the thought of this appearing to be a genuine competition as opposed to a Mayfield coronation. May the best QB win!

Thanks, bro!  And glad y'all have got through it, too!  And I agree, the BA.5 strain is so easily transmitted, and apparently it can even reinfect people it has already infected before.  I experienced symptoms I had never had before with a cold or flu bug.  Weird stuff like spiking a fever in minutes, then it returning to normal and coming back the next night.  I went to the ER at one point just to be cautious because of numbness, fatigue, and weakness, and the whole waiting room was packed and every bed was taken, so I just went home and felt much better the next day.  But, I have never seen the ER here that packed.  Hopefully it continues to evolve into a less severe version of itself and everything and everyone can get back to complete normalcy.

• Beer 1

Corral has great tools (release, arm strength, quickness), but the concern with him and most other QBs in this recent class is that they will need time to adjust to the NFL.  The offense ran at Ole Miss doesn't translate as well as it does in the NFL.  If he put up those numbers in a Pro Style Offense he probably would have been drafted sooner.  Hopefully it works out in our advantage, but many scouts/analysts were wanting Corral, Willis, and Howell to sit for at least a year before they are ready which appears to be what we are doing unless he just dominates early like Russ did in Seattle.  I still think when it's all said and done Darnold might be traded and we could be rolling with Baker with Corral backing him up.  

Just now, ladypanther said:

Who would trade what for him?

Something similar to the Teddy to Denver trade last year.  Shanahan inquired about him with the Jets and I could see them sending us something trivial like a 6th/7th providing we eat most of his salary to back up Lance.  Even if we save 1 or 2 million and gain a late round pick it would be worth it. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Something similar to the Teddy to Denver trade last year.  Shanahan inquired about him with the Jets and I could see them sending us something trivial like a 6th/7th providing we eat most of his salary to back up Lance.  Even if we save 1 or 2 million and gain a late round pick it would be worth it. 

yep, darnold on the team at this point is a damn travesty

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, rippadonn said:

Matt Corral ain't trying to hear that bull. He came to be your QB NOT bubble wrapped and coddled.

Fitt is hanging with Rhule too much apparently all those coddling vibes. Not building not teaching. Coddling.

Soft as f'

No one fuging cares what Matt Corral, third rounder and two months in the league with 0 games under his belt wants to hear and that’s why it’s not bull.

If he isn’t ready, don’t play him. if competition beats him, also don’t play him. That said if he does look like the best option play him.

Yea Rhule is an idiot evaluator but the sentiment is still a good one. In fact a lot of this organizations dumbassery and blunders could’ve been avoided by relying on competition instead of favoritism or bias for whatever reason.