• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A bit of perspective (re Corral)

t96

30 minutes ago, t96 said:

I think anything can happen in camp but there’s a reason Smitty and TD rolled their eyes and laughed about it being a “competition.” It does seem Rhule is going to go with Baker to try to compete now and keep his job. If we were comfortable with Sam/Corral at all we wouldn’t have traded for Baker and kept being linked to Jimmy before that trade. We’ll see how it plays out but as of now I think it’s clear Baker is the favorite to start the season. I’m not sure of Baker at all personally, but I’m also not the one making the decision… I think there’s a chance Corral could outplay Baker in the next month and still be behind him. Also as much as Rhule will say otherwise I don’t think Sam has any chance to start the season, everyone saw enough from him last year.

I think they rolled their eyes because most people know Baker is better.  

But it doesn’t appear Matt Rhule views things like most 

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm fine with this little farce of a competition as long we name Baker the starter soon so that he can get all the starter reps. 

I have a feeling they are going to wait til private practices after week one to pick their guy, and not announce until the day of the first game

3 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I have a feeling they are going to wait til private practices after week one to pick their guy, and not announce until the day of the first game

If we deny our starter the lions share of the starting reps in camp and preseason in order to try to catch our week one opponent off guard with our starting QB choice then that will be incredibly idiotic... which would unfortunately be very on brand for Matt Rhule.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If we deny our starter the lions share of the starting reps in camp and preseason in order to try to catch our week one opponent off guard with our starting QB choice then that will be incredibly idiotic... which would unfortunately be very on brand for Matt Rhule.

I mean this guy was running panic mode 2 QB systems last year, who knows what he's gonna come up with this year.  The first PJ/Cam game was understandable but the Darnold/Cam duo games were a fuging joke

• Pie 1

Yeah, WE don't have Mitch Trubisky. Neither Sam nor Baker have Trubiskys value. If we had Brett Favre, ok, but Baker Mayfield?

ESPN reported thati in April Matt Corral was widely considered to be a middle to late first rounder. He looks like a first rounder from camp.

The other two look fat, happy and rich to me. The young lion is lean and hungry. His accuracy alone way ahead. I didn't see anybody else coming close in the video of the fade drill. 

I saw Corral hit one in that vid and almost hit it again. Nobody else was as close as him. I heard he hit two buckets in that drill.

He throws different. The ball jumps off his hand. He's got a rocket. Catchable balls. Touch. Escapability, quick feet, great instincts after the snap. He's showing out in camp.

Play your best QB. So far all eyes are now on Corral. He's making it very hard not to want to see more reps. Many more.

Edited by rippadonn

43 minutes ago, jackson113 said:

Darnold= Tannehille... Nope 

Corral =Wilson... Doubt it 

Rhule=Zac Taylor never 

Huddle building optimism to be let down.. yay!

You forgot: Baker! Baker! Baker! Promised land Baker you're the future Baker! You the savior Baker!

They didn't coach you right Baker! That's why Baker! Rhules got this Baker! Bakerrrrr!

That crowd.

2 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

You forgot: Baker! Baker! Baker! Promised land Baker you're the future Baker! You the savior Baker!

They didn't coach you right Baker! That's why Baker! Rhules got this Baker! Bakerrrrr!

That crowd.

It's ironic how you categorize other people as fanboys while seemingly so blind to your own. It's pretty annoying to be honest.

• Beer 2
  • Flames 2

No need whatsoever to try to bring Corral in front of the other guys.  No real upside for him nor the Panthers.  Bring him along, but give him reps so we know what we have.  Will make things much easier at year end when Baker and Sam need new contracts.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, rippadonn said:

Yeah, WE don't have Mitch Trubisky. Neither Sam nor Baker have Trubiskys value.

Trubisky was a backup last year and a FA this year.  He had no trade value.  So the little we traded for Baker, Trubisky was less. 

As for the selective stats comparing Baker and Trubisky on this thread,  they ignore the 45% more TDs and yards that Baker generates.  Baker has also won an away game against a division rival in the playoffs,  Trubisky has never won a playoff game.  Trubisky was a pro-bowler one year and I don't think Baker ever has been.

I'm not saying Baker is an awesome quarterback or that he's far and away better. I'm saying I'd rather have Bakers 92 TD's to Trubisky's 64 and Baker did it with one less year in the league.  Their passer ratings are almost identical.

Edited by poundaway
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Corral came in pissed off, has shown up early every day and is starting to look more relaxed in general from pictures and everything. At the least glad he's not being a diva and just biding his time. Message board aside no one wants a Darnold or PJ autograph, if Tepper wants to go business side on things roll with Baker and Corral, they have more similar arms and playing styles anyway so the adjustments aren't as crazy for the rest of the offense

• Pie 1