• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I see Sam to the Rams possibly in the near future...

musicman

7 minutes ago, musicman said:

And they continue to show (and say) they will keep swinging until they get it right with a QB. If it takes 5 swings (or more) to hit on a franchise QB, at least they hit it because they keep taking swings. Give them some credit. And if Rhule is adapting his college building program ways to the NFL (it can take time), we have nothing to lose and everything to gain. If he is not playing for his job and the future of the team, then let's give him slack and see where it goes. Everybody is so critical of everything. They did say when they hired Rhule it could be 5 years to build a winning program. And the 1st year had Covid disrupt it. I'm not a homer but a realist. 

I get everything you're saying, but can't totally agree.

First off, if it takes that many tries, especially during a time when you have high draft picks, then there's a pretty good chance you're doing something wrong. Specifically, you may not be very good at evaluating quarterbacks, and chances are the one you "hit on" was more luck than skill. That's not a good thing.

As far as Rhule, I can't get on board with "adapting a college program to the NFL" because college and pro football are two very different beasts. Throw in that plenty of coaches (including former Panthers coaches) have shown that it doesn't take five years to build a winner.

Now, as yet, no one has built a consistent winner, but to do that you have to first build a team that wins something. Matt Rhule still has yet to even reach that threshold.

Bottom Line: Rhule might be a nice guy and a half decent motivator, but his skill set seems way better suited to coaching college kids, and we need a professional coach.

9 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Probably haven't seen enough of Wolford to say for certain, but it seems the Rams are happy with their qb situation.  I think the author was just making up crap when he mentioned the Rams acquiring Darnold.  

From what I've seen of him, I'm not sure he's the most durable guy you could find...

49 minutes ago, musicman said:

It's not Sam's fault they picked up his option. If they didn't maybe he would be competing for the starting job signed to a 5 mil a year prove it deal. The Panthers took a chance just in case he had a solid year. Last year was bad all around. And they continue to show (and say) they will keep swinging until they get it right with a QB. If it takes 5 swings (or more) to hit on a franchise QB, at least they hit it because they keep taking swings. Give them some credit. And if Rhule is adapting his college building program ways to the NFL (it can take time), we have nothing to lose and everything to gain. If he is not playing for his job and the future of the team, then let's give him slack and see where it goes. Everybody is so critical of everything. They did say when they hired Rhule it could be 5 years to build a winning program. And the 1st year had Covid disrupt it. I'm not a homer but a realist. 

In 2021 we paid Darnold 5 mil and this year we pay him 19 mil.  I think their logic was 24 for 2 years or 12 million a year for a starting QB was a good deal.   Who knew he would be worse for us than the jets?

I know Darnold didn't have a ton of leverage, but I would think that he would have  requested we pick up the option as  condition for the trade.

3 minutes ago, poundaway said:

In 2021 we paid Darnold 5 mil and this year we pay him 19 mil.  I think their logic was 24 for 2 years or 12 million a year for a starting QB was a good deal.   Who knew he would be worse for us than the jets?

I know Darnold didn't have a ton of leverage, but I would think that he would have  requested we pick up the option as  condition for the trade.

I like the optimism, but I think it was simply a Rhule blunder.  He thought he knew the secret to Darnold's success and he could achieve it here.  He wanted to extend him to save money because he was banking on Darnold having a successful year with us and we would have a good QB relatively cheap one more year to solidify the OL.  He gambled (foolishly IMO) and lost.  Darnold playing great here would have been an outlier based on his career and QBs that struggled and transferred teams.  Rhule bet on an outlier and now looks foolish for it.  

• Pie 3

28 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I like the optimism, but I think it was simply a Rhule blunder.  He thought he knew the secret to Darnold's success and he could achieve it here.  He wanted to extend him to save money because he was banking on Darnold having a successful year with us and we would have a good QB relatively cheap one more year to solidify the OL.  He gambled (foolishly IMO) and lost.  Darnold playing great here would have been an outlier based on his career and QBs that struggled and transferred teams.  Rhule bet on an outlier and now looks foolish for it.  

It was a Rhule blunder for sure, but Fit isn't blameless.  Hurney would have never done the trade for Sam, and it may be part of the reason Hurney is gone.

20 minutes ago, stbugs said:

The fallacy was that they felt they needed to do the 5th year to make him feel good.

Given that the savings are so small and their constant theme of "competition at every position", it doesn't make sense to do the option to make Sam feel good.   They want Baker to feel pressure, but need to baby Sam?  

Sam had to request it, as anyone would.  They  promised it when they traded  to get the deal done.  They didn't exercise it until after the draft because they wanted to trade down and were head-faking taking  a QB.  Some of us actually thought they might.   Even if it didn't work out, 12mil a year for even a backup qb isn't going to break the bank. 

It all backfired in their faces because Sam was actually better with Jets.

Edited by poundaway
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, poundaway said:

It was a Rhule blunder for sure, but Fit isn't blameless.  Hurney would have never done the trade for Sam, and it may be part of the reason Hurney is gone.

As the GM, Fitt is definitely responsible too.  If the HC (who has full roster control) is preaching to you that Sam is his guy and better than any player in this draft then I think Fitt could have been in a tough position.  The trade was questionable, but I could understand it.  Passing on Fields and extending Sam was inexcusable IMO.  

• Pie 2

39 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Til the bitter end

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

As the GM, Fitt is definitely responsible too.  If the HC (who has full roster control) is preaching to you that Sam is his guy and better than any player in this draft then I think Fitt could have been in a tough position.  The trade was questionable, but I could understand it.  Passing on Fields and extending Sam was inexcusable IMO.  

Fitt was a rookie GM, and the new kid on our block and his first deals were Erving and Elflien.   He knew Hurney was gone because he headbutted Rhule, probably on this very thing.   I'm not saying Fitt is of equal blame.  He's not.  This is Rhules fnckup.  I'm saying Fits not blameless.

• Pie 2

13 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Sam had no say in the trade, at all. Everyone and their mother knew he wasn’t staying in NY and that they were taking Wilson. He had no leverage and I distinctly recall articles where we were quoted as saying that we did the 5th year to show our confidence in him. It was a dumb mistake and it absolutely was coddling Sam because he absolutely 100% is more fragile than Baker. If Sam was going to be good, the 5th year option didn’t matter. We F’d up on that. It was obvious with his career that we see how 2021 goes before paying a dime more than the $5M knowing we have a franchise tag in our back pocket if the impossible happens.

So which scenario are you describing?:

1)Sam's agent was too meager to ask for the 5th year option during the trade talks.

2)No one even discussed the trade with Sam and his agent.  He found out on twitter.

3)Sam's agent  asked for us to pick up the option.  We said no, and then turned around and picked it up anyway.

Edited by poundaway

Just posted on PFT "On Wednesday, McVay explained at the outset of a press conference that Stafford won’t be participating in team drills, for now".

If he doesn't start throwing within a week, just maybe they start looking for an experienced back up/fill in. 

• Beer 1

6 hours ago, musicman said:

Just posted on PFT "On Wednesday, McVay explained at the outset of a press conference that Stafford won’t be participating in team drills, for now".

If he doesn't start throwing within a week, just maybe they start looking for an experienced back up/fill in.