• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why is PJ Walker EVEN on the team?

TheBigKat

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

Neither are really a good backup at the moment.  But they(Rhule) seem to think PJ has a good shot at #2. I however do not believe it.

Sam is the backup this season whether anyone wants to hear it or not. His salary and Bakers play will keep him here one more season. Corral should be #3 going forward. 

Oh yeah, I agree with you 1,000%. I'm just saying roster wise, PJ may actually be the second most talented QB on the roster. But Sam's pay has gotta be earned somewhere if we can't drop it. And I get that too.

2 hours ago, Catsfan69 said:

That's right Miami did. Their coaches.

Do they have a new offense? I'm not up to speed on all the other teams like you guys so it's an honest question. 

I would assume with a new offense that not only are Baker and Sam getting all the practice reps they are getting all the meeting time not just with the QB coach but Macadoo.

All of that is pretty normal even without the stupidity of Rhule being involved.

What is Miami's depth chart? Again I have no clue.

Miami has a brand new coaching staff.   Mike McDaniel. Looks 15.  Talks like he is 15.  lol. 

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

They already know that Darnold isn't getting anything in the trade. If they don't, they're not very bright.

Likewise, there's enough film on Walker to know that he's not a good enough backup. Well, at least enough for everybody outside of Matt Rhule to know.

Don't want to play Matt Corral and the regular season? Fine. But in the name of all that's holy, training camp and preseason are there for the express purpose of helping train him for the future. How the hell do you justify not doing that?

And as mentioned, when it comes to Walker, the head coach of the Carolina Panthers has a lot of responsibilities. Getting Matt Corral ready to play in the future is one of them. Helping PJ Walker find a job is not. And shirking a responsibility for Corral while working on a responsibility for Walker that you don't have is just plain coaching malpractice.

Dude, I get that you want to be positive about this bunch, and I get why. But from my position, I can be objective.

Matt Rhule just isn't an NFL coach.

Corral isn't ready (see game). PJ is 2-0 as a starter when being the main back up. They need to see - IF - they trade Sam, can PJ do the job more than just a game (this season as every player is different every year, unless you're an all-pro). They are ALL getting the mental reps. Corral is learning the lingo. He doesn't need to run for his life with 3rd stringers to get game situations. If this was the last preseason game, then I see your point but it's not.

4 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I'll bite:

Give me your absolute best case for rhule and the panthers in regards to trading PJ?  Whats the best realistic outcome you can think of?

Do the same for Darnold.

My answer:  At absolute best someone trades a conditional 7th for pj and the same for darnold assuming we eat 3/4 of his contract

Now ask yourself is that worth running training camp and a preseason game around that?

I think playing PJ wasn't about showcasing him for the league but for themselves. 

If Darnold plays well during preseason it opens 2 doors. A possible trade (even if we eat most of the contract and it's a low pick) and maybe having him as a quality back up is better.

I don't see how it's ruining camp?? Corral was obviously not ready and they weren't playing Baker or Sam with the 3td+ stringers.

5 minutes ago, musicman said:

Corral isn't ready (see game). PJ is 2-0 as a starter when being the main back up. They need to see - IF - they trade Sam, can PJ do the job more than just a game (this season as every player is different every year, unless you're an all-pro). They are ALL getting the mental reps. Corral is learning the lingo. He doesn't need to run for his life with 3rd stringers to get game situations. If this was the last preseason game, then I see your point but it's not.

Yeah...the "PJ is 2-0" thing is a running joke. Anybody that knows the game knows he's not an NFL quarterback.

Go around the league, look at the teams that have qualified NFL coaches, and check how their rookies are doing.

I get the trying to be positive thing, but sorry dude. Matt Rhule is terrible.

The best thing that can happen for this team is his dismissal.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

8 hours ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

The only conceivablely rational reason to play PJ is you're trying to market him to other teams to get something in trade.

Or perhaps the preseason is about evaluating more than the QB position? Maybe PJ has a stronger grasp of the playbook allowing a better assessment of the receivers, offensive line, running backs, etc. Now I realize getting a potential future franchise qb meaningful practice and reps probably should be near the top of the priority list. But as far as rational explanations for not doing so, I think that is far more plausible than PJ trade bait.

• Beer 1

Just now, Peon Awesome said:

Or perhaps the preseason is about evaluating more than the QB position? Maybe PJ has a stronger grasp of the playbook allowing a better assessment of the receivers, offensive line, running backs, etc. Now I realize getting a potential future franchise qb meaningful practice and reps probably should be near the top of the priority list. But as far as rational explanations for not doing so, I think that is far more plausible than PJ trade bait.

But every other drafted qb has somehow gotten up to speed where their team lets them play quality snaps.  Every.single.one.of.them.   So we are either doing it wrong or we really really fuged up the evaluation of MC.  Either one is probably a fireable mistake

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

But every other drafted qb has somehow gotten up to speed where their team lets them play quality snaps.  Every.single.one.of.them.   So we are either doing it wrong or we really really fuged up the evaluation of MC.  Either one is probably a fireable mistake

It seems like we're definitely underprioritizing Corral's development. The best rational I can come up with is that Corral is truly being delegated to a redshirt year and the staff has instead put their focus on settling the starting qb between Baker and Darnold. With those 2 splitting so many practice reps, doesn't leave much scraps to be split between PJ and Corral. But if you know you're planning 1+ years to develop Corral, urgency for that isn't really there. In fairness, establishing the 2022 starter should take priority right now unless we're already giving up on the season. Now once they announce the starter for week 1, which is supposed to happen after the Patriots game, then the excuses go out the door. I'm expecting Corral to play a full half in the 3rd game.

1 minute ago, Peon Awesome said:

It seems like we're definitely underprioritizing Corral's development. The best rational I can come up with is that Corral is truly being delegated to a redshirt year and the staff has instead put their focus on settling the starting qb between Baker and Darnold. With those 2 splitting so many practice reps, doesn't leave much scraps to be split between PJ and Corral. But if you know you're planning 1+ years to develop Corral, urgency for that isn't really there. In fairness, establishing the 2022 starter should take priority right now unless we're already giving up on the season. Now once they announce the starter for week 1, which is supposed to happen after the Patriots game, then the excuses go out the door. I'm expecting Corral to play a full half in the 3rd game.

All of which is college coach thinking..

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

yep there is no "redshirt year" for a damn NFL qb.  If you used that much draft capital you best have a damn plan how to use him.  Bill Belichick is laughing his ass off at us once again

Do the titans get the same treatment since they traded up for Willis and got pulled for not understanding the playbook?