• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Mayfield balls out ....

Jmac

4 hours ago, WarPanthers89 said:

Other than last year, if he duplicates the previous years id be totally down to sign him to a 3 year deal. I don’t think you would want anything more than that to see how he does, and you are not crippled if things don’t work out. The thing with Baker is that you know he is talented, he Can lead grown men, has an alpha mentality, and you know what his floor is. I don’t think a 3 year deal for someone like him will be something that will haunt us if it does not work out. It totally depends on his performance this year, but it is a very low risk/high reward move. Dude is on another level compared to Teddy/Sam “Gumby” Darnold and I can say that with complete confidence before he even takes a regular season snap for us.

Nah, he's really only had one good year. If he can show promise like that one, then great. Two out of the other three were pedestrian, and last year was bad. I would only pay him if he can show the promise of his playoff season. 

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Nah, he's really only had one good year. If he can show promise like that one, then great. Two out of the other three were pedestrian, and last year was bad. I would only pay him if he can show the promise of his playoff season. 

You don’t consider his rookie year a good year? Wasn’t he setting rookie records? Last year he shouldn’t have been playing.

I see a great rookie year (for a rookie), sophomore slump where he threw way too many INTs, 3rd year he was great, and 4th year he shouldn’t have been playing (banged up pretty bad in week 2). 

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

You don’t consider his rookie year a good year? Wasn’t he setting rookie records? Last year he shouldn’t have been playing.

I see a great rookie year (for a rookie), sophomore slump where he threw way too many INTs, 3rd year he was great, and 4th year he shouldn’t have been playing (banged up pretty bad in week 2). 

Our 2023 FA starter level options are Jimmy G, Baker, Sam, and Teddy. I'm guessing only few teams are even looking for a FA starter next year. If he plays to 2018 level even I think you either sign him or blow the whole thing up coaches included and start from scratch again

22 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

It was good for a rookie.

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Our 2023 FA starter level options are Jimmy G, Baker, Sam, and Teddy. I'm guessing only few teams are even looking for a FA starter next year. If he plays to 2018 level even I think you either sign him or blow the whole thing up coaches included and start from scratch again

Yeah we either sign him, draft one from the loaded class, or roll with Corral. We have some options. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah we either sign him, draft one from the loaded class, or roll with Corral. We have some options. 

More I think about it it's either Baker plays well and gets a contract, or we blow it up, let the new staff draft a qb and sign Brissett/Keenum/Minshew/whoever as the vet 3rd QB for camp

15 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

More I think about it it's either Baker plays well and gets a contract, or we blow it up, let the new staff draft a qb and sign Brissett/Keenum/Minshew/whoever as the vet 3rd QB for camp

Yeah we might not even need a vet 3rd QB depending on how our staff looks. Let the rookie and Corral battle it out. 

1 hour ago, Thomas31873 said:

Most teams were set. They either had an entrenched starter or a young guy they still have faith in. Washington probably should have waited instead of going with Wentz but they didn't. That left the Panthers and Seahawks as possibilities. The next question was do those teams want to tank or take a shot. It isn't like this was a fantasy draft and everyone needed a QB. Dolphins think Tua can be the man, we'll see. Lions can't get out of the Goff contract. Giants are giving Jones a go and if some of these don't work out Mayfield is a free agent next year and they get a year to see him play healthy and make that decision.

Of course the 20 teams committed to their QB aren't interested in him as a starter. Mayfield wasn't interested ion being a backup.

Just because the Bills, Bengals, Chargers, Raiders, Chiefs, Cowboys etc... didn't go after doesn't mean that he is looked at as garbage, they already have a starter. There is only 1 starting QB per team.

Teams don’t ‘commit’ with a QB they think is worse or has a worse projected future than one on the open market going for peanuts. Legit QBs at any age do not have such little interest, and aren’t traded for nothing. There are always exceptions but the only reason that makes sense is tanking and what we should’ve done 4 years ago but regardless, saying the lack of interest in taking a chance from teams who are already ‘committed’ to a garbage QB shouldn’t just be brushed off as meaning nothing.

Edited by onmyown

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Huh?  His first year he set the rookie TD record while not even playing the first 2.5 games.  His second year was Freddie Kitchens so that wasn't on him.  3rd year he was a top 10 QB and won a playoff game.  4th year - hurt all year.  So, he has had one truly bad year.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

29 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Teams don’t ‘commit’ with a QB they think is worse or has a worse projected future than one on the open market going for peanuts. Legit QBs at any age do not have such little interest, and aren’t traded for nothing. There are always exceptions but the only reason that makes sense is tanking and what we should’ve done 4 years ago but regardless, saying the lack of interest in taking a chance from teams who are already ‘committed’ to a garbage QB shouldn’t just be brushed off as meaning nothing.

Who are these teams with garbage QBs? (don't include 1 or 2 year 1st round rookies)