• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It’s been less than two months since we traded for Mayfield…..

WarPanthers89

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

There are a lot of teams with young guys who are unproven or guys who are just first starters.  If Baker gets us to a winning season teams will be lined up to sign him.  Again there are 32 very good quarterbacks in the league.

The market is TBD for 2023. I know he would be probably #3 in the free agents "possibly" available at the moment. And it is a very thin QB pool, so a good season could be a huge boost to his value.

I suspect there will still be at least 6-8 QB desperate teams, so it will come down to the FA pool, their draft positions and the draft class strength.

As a "way too early" prediction, I think he will have to sign one more "prove it" deal at lower than elite money. 

• Poo 1

7 minutes ago, DMathematics said:

QB class is magical next year... if teams need a QB they will try their luck their first then what? Mayfield waiting out again until training camp lol if we don't pay him he's toast 

What about the can't miss class of 2021. Several are still struggling. You can take a rookie like we did and still get a vet for immediate results. Otherwise you can wait another three years and still be losing. It took Cam to his 3rd year to have a winning record.

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

The market is TBD for 2023. I know he would be probably #3 in the free agents "possibly" available at the moment. And it is a very thin QB pool, so a good season could be a huge boost to his value.

I suspect there will still be at least 6-8 QB desperate teams, so it will come down to the FA pool, their draft positions and the draft class strength.

As a "way too early" prediction, I think he will have to sign one more "prove it" deal at lower than elite money. 

I hope you are right and that he signs with us. Our cap is going to be tight. Given what teams were willing to do for Watson I imagine a healthy productive Baker will be a hot commodity. If Brady retires and Mariotta sucks I can think of 2 division teams  that would be very interested as it builds them up while taking away from us.

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

I hope you are right and that he signs with us. Our cap is going to be tight. Given what teams were willing to do for Watson I imagine a healthy productive Baker will be a hot commodity. If Brady retires and Mariotta sucks I can think of 2 division teams  that would be very interested as it builds them up while taking away from us.

Well Watson was generally acknowledged as an elite QB and Mayfield has yet to ascend to that category. So perhaps we can at least avoid that class of contract, should he and/or we decide to continue this relationship.

If Brady retires, I am not sure that every team in the division isn't possibly looking for a starter. After all, this isn't the Sean Payton Saints so they may not be that quick to throw their chips behind Winston. 

I do think the chances of him going back to Tampa are very low. I don't think either party wants that.

Just now, kungfoodude said:

If we have a top 15 pick and Baker turns in anything less than a stellar season, I'm in the 'draft a rookie QB next draft' group of folks.  This is where Fitterer and Rule butt heads--Fitts wants to build a solid core team and draft a rookie QB to become the QB of the future while Rhule wants a veteran QB to help save his a$$ NOW.  If Rhule is fired after the season, I think Fitts plays hardball with Baker at the negotiation table...again with the caveat that Baker doesn't absolutely ball-out this season.  We may bet outbid.  If so, so be it rather than continuously throwing money around in an attempt to stay competitive.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

If we have a top 15 pick and Baker turns in anything less than a stellar season, I'm in the 'draft a rookie QB next draft' group of folks.  This is where Fitterer and Rule butt heads--Fitts wants to build a solid core team and draft a rookie QB to become the QB of the future while Rhule wants a veteran QB to help save his a$$ NOW.  If Rhule is fired after the season, I think Fitts plays hardball with Baker at the negotiation table...again with the caveat that Baker doesn't absolutely ball-out this season.  We may bet outbid.  If so, so be it rather than continuously throwing money around in an attempt to stay competitive.

Yeah, I honestly don't see Baker staying if he plays well unless the team experiences a lot of success which I think is pretty unlikely. Namely because if we fire Rhule(very likely) and don't have a winning season(extremely likely) then our entire situation is going to be in flux. 

That means we have to convince him to stick around through a coaching change and that could be pretty hard.

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, I honestly don't see Baker staying if he plays well unless the team experiences a lot of success which I think is pretty unlikely. Namely because if we fire Rhule(very likely) and don't have a winning season(extremely likely) then our entire situation is going to be in flux. 

That means we have to convince him to stick around through a coaching change and that could be pretty hard.

Exactly.  Baker has dealt with enough coaching changes and doubt he'll want to stick around for another.  He'll want to go to a stable situation on a long-term deal.  My worry is Tepper is all-in on Matt Rhule and any improvement may keep him in Charlotte for 2023 citing 'progress'.  It will take a complete dumpster fire of a season for Tepper to pull the trigger for certain.  This team is too talented for that to happen short of a bunch of key injuries.

Edited by 45catfan

Just now, 45catfan said:

Exactly.  Baker has dealt with enough coaching changes and doubt he'll want to stick around for another.  He'll want to go to a stable situation on a long-term deal.  My worry is Tepper is all-in on Matt Rhule and any improvement may keep him in Charlotte for 2023 citing 'progress'.  It will take a complete dumpster fire of a season for Tepper to pull the trigger for certain.  This team is too talented for that to happen short or a bunch of key injuries.

Oh, I know. I have a big fear that a 7-8 win team would mean Rhule is safe. That would immediately mean that we had the worst owner in the NFL. 

I don't want to see that happen because that is the moment all hope is lost for Panther fans.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Pimpdaddy said:

.... only the tea and crumpet crowd are thinking playoffs... the reality is way different... 

I’m definitely not part of the tea and crumpet crowd, whatever that means. Only tea I drink is sweet tea and I’ve never had a crumpet in my damn life. I see the talent we have, and I see the best QB we’ve had in a LONG time. So, pardon some of us if we’re actually optimistic about our chances this year.  It’s gotta be miserable going into a season actively thinking we’re gonna fail before the first game, even when we have as much talent as we do.

I could see if we had a roster like Atlanta or some of these other teams, but we’ve actually got some real players up and down the lineup on both sides.

And yeah I know “Rhule sucks”….but damn what if we actually turn it around this year? Wouldn’t that be something?

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

38 minutes ago, DMathematics said:

As we should.. now he's the kicker will we be bad enough to sit top 5 and have one fall to us? Or will we just be good enough to be outside that top 10 and have to make ANOTHER trade for a QB. Its obvious Rhule has no plan its shameful  

No we should not. If Baker proves he’s that guy, we have bigger pressing needs than QB at that point. Namely LB and DE.

• Pie 1