• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mayfield comment on the Browns game

Mr. Scot

Why the fug did she share this interaction in the first place?  For clicks?  As others said, if players started openly telling the media to fug off it would be completely justified.

This M.O. of drop a twitter grenade, stir up a poo storm, then come back to clarify/apologize, whatever, is horseshit.

It’s not a surprise. Mayfield, even if he wasn’t habitually feisty, would reasonably be upset about how he was treated. They told him after the 2021 season that he’s their guy for 2022. Then they told him that he’s their guy, unless they find someone better. Then they leaked to Chris Mortensen of ESPN that they want an adult in the room at quarterback. Then they traded for Deshaun Watson and gave him a five-year, $230 million, fully-guaranteed contract.

So, yeah, he should be pissed. And no one should be surprised by what he said.

And no one should be surprised if he does what he said he’s going to do. He may even go back to Cleveland for a Progressive commercial during which he plants a Panthers flag at midfield.

Mike Florio https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/30/baker-mayfield-reportedly-said-of-browns-im-going-to-f-k-them-up/

• Pie 1

Didn't check it earlier, but Ellis Williams article actually links to the video of the Around the NFL podcast where Frelund originally reported it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovx6s2KZnIw

(FYI: the clip won't embed; you have to click the link to watch)

The conversation in question starts a little after 36 minutes in. About 40 or so seconds into the discussion is where she states that he told her he was gonna "bleep them up".

Dan Hanzus asks her to clarify if that was the exact quote. She hems and haws a little because she doesn't want to use foul language on the air, but does indeed confirm that yes, that's what he said.

So there ya go...

If you can't get the video, here's Ellis Williams' summary from the Observer article linked on page one.

“You ran into Baker Mayfield, the former Browns quarterback, recently,” Hanzus said. “I was hoping you could share an exchange that you had.”

Frelund responded by sharing her on-field interaction with Mayfield after the preseason finale between the Panthers and Bills.

“I was like, ‘Kick some butt.’ I didn’t say that word,” she said laughing, as she recounted her conversation with Mayfield. “... Go kick some butt, especially Week 1, I like cannot wait. And he uses some expletives. ... He’s like, ‘I’m gonna bleep them up.”

Hanzus asked Frelund, “’I’m gonna f*** them up.’ Is that what his quote was?”

Frelund said, “I don’t say curse words on air. I do not want to get in trouble.” Hanzus again asked Frelund, “But was that the quote?” She responded “yes.”

The full article can be read here (no paywall)

Just now, ForJimmy said:

We already are the laughing stock of the league.  Nothing wrong with a little pregame fire to get everyone pumped up.

I'm not against a player having fire in him. If he can ball he can talk shyte all he wants.

Baker is just a shyte talker who so far has not lived up to his trash talk. That is just an annoying bullshit artist who shoots his mouth off and can't back it up.

• Flames 1

3 hours ago, onmyown said:

beating the browns back up won’t mean poo…let’s remember last year and give it time before we start claiming SB MVP and compare him to QBS like Brees…

He can win the SB and you will still talk poo about Baker, you just don't like him we get it.

• Pie 2

lmao at people who are worried about this or saying Baker shouldn't have said any bulletin board material - it's a big ass bowl of nothing. I'm glad he feels confident in his own game, rather that than Darnold's milquetoast ass personality. 

Edited by UNCrules2187
  • Pie 1

24 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm not against a player having fire in him. If he can ball he can talk shyte all he wants.

Baker is just a shyte talker who so far has not lived up to his trash talk. That is just an annoying bullshit artist who shoots his mouth off and can't back it up.

It got him from a walk-on, to a Heisman winning QB for a top program (at the time), to the top pick in the draft, to a record breaking rookie season, to leading the Browns to their first playoff win in over a decade.  I get he had a down/injured year last year, but I'm not sure he should completely stop being the person that got him to where he is at.  It is what he knows and it has worked for him much more than it has failed him.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1