• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kyle Brandt (Good Morning Football): Panthers will win NFC South

UNCrules2187

6 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Not that I out a ton of weight in these picks either way, but I can't knock him for that one either...  I have a feeling LA is going to have quite the championship hangover.  OBJ is still a FA.  Von left.  And apparently Stafford is dealing with an injury that affects his ability to throw.  It has all the makings of a team struggling to defend their title.  While I don't know that Lance is going to blow people away, they are always a well-constructed and well-coached team.  Seattle is going to be garbage, and I think AZ will be their only real comp down the stretch, so I could see it.

We don't know how things will shake out , but I agree with you.  The Rams don't look like shoo-ins to win their division this year. The haven't had the smoothest off-season. I think they're going to have a bumpy ride in 2022.  SF and Arizona aren't pushover teams. I think the NFC West is the one division in the NFC that could actually send 3 teams to the playoffs.

Edited by SCO96
  • Pie 1

10 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Not that I out a ton of weight in these picks either way, but I can't knock him for that one either...  I have a feeling LA is going to have quite the championship hangover.  OBJ is still a FA.  Von left.  And apparently Stafford is dealing with an injury that affects his ability to throw.  It has all the makings of a team struggling to defend their title.  While I don't know that Lance is going to blow people away, they are always a well-constructed and well-coached team.  Seattle is going to be garbage, and I think AZ will be their only real comp down the stretch, so I could see it.

Yeah I could see it if Staffords arm falls off and the Cards continue their in house drama. Kliff Kingsbury seems like a moron, and Kyler got exposed in the playoffs

To be fair, it seems in recent history there is at least one team that goes from last in the division to division winner the next season. Now, I think the likeliest candidates to pull off that feat in 2022 are the Ravens and maybe the Broncos in the AFC, but with some good fortune/injury luck and improved QB play from Baker, I think the Panthers could definitely pull it off.

Over the past five years, there have been a total of six teams that have followed up a last place finish in one season with a division-winning run the following season, and for those of you who aren't good at math, that's an average of more than one team per year. That average has actually held pretty firm over the years: Since the NFL realigned its divisions in 2002, there have been 27 teams that have gone from worst to first, which is an average of 1.35 teams per year over that 20-season span. 

10 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

To be fair, it seems in recent history there is at least one team that goes from last in the division to division winner the next season. Now, I think the likeliest candidates to pull off that feat in 2022 are the Ravens and maybe the Broncos in the AFC, but with some good fortune/injury luck and improved QB play from Baker, I think the Panthers could definitely pull it off.

I was listening to Colin Cowherd one day and he said that every year about  4 or 5 teams will make the playoffs the prior season since early 2002, which is right when the divisions were realigned.

6 minutes ago, Pakmeng said:

Before beating them by 3 in the playoffs the Rams had not beaten the 49ers since 2018.

If Tartt doesn't drop an interception thrown straight to him, the 49ers are likely in the SB. I don't think it's a stretch at all to think the 49ers could win the division this season. In fact, them retaining Jimmy G actually makes me feel better about their chances as they have a proven guy to turn to if Lance does struggle.

• Pie 2

All of these predictions are a bit wild. 

NFC North Minnesota still has to go through Green Bay.  Cousins needs to protect the ball a bit more and Minnesota needs to get over their yearly curse.

NFC South     Carolina.  This is possible with or without Brady being great.  They have a tougher schedule that we do just because they are playing divisional winners from the NFCN and NFCE plus the AFCW divisional winner.  I said before we need to win those three games of the last place winners of NFCN, NFCE and AFCW.  Beat Atl 2x and split with NO and TB. That's 5 wins.  Plus match the win total against the NFCW and AFCN.  It's possible

NFC East  Philly did a great job in the offseason and will be tough especially with Dallas hoping 40 yr old Peters can play one more season.  Dallas IMO is more mixed up than we are.  Washington doesn't really scare me too much.

NFC West  49ers seems a bit of a reach.  LAR are SB champs and have added some more weapons for their offense.  Stafford may be the key.  They say he's alright, but we heard the same thing about Cam. Lance has the tools but he looked extremely shaky in preseason.  Arizona seems to have everything but falter down the stretch.  KM will be playing to make a statement.  

I could also see the 3 wild cards switching with the projected winners with Brandt picks being WC. 

• Beer 1

Everyone here is about to see how important not having the worst QB in the league is. 

Healthy CMC and Baker being average gets this roster 8-10 wins. 

Baker being good has us in the playoffs. 

We addressed our three worst aspects from last year. Scheme (OC), QB, and offensive line. 

This will help our defense too. 

This is a 10+ win team.

• Pie 5

4 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Everyone here is about to see how important not having the worst QB in the league is. 

Healthy CMC and Baker being average gets this roster 8-10 wins. 

Baker being good has us in the playoffs. 

We addressed our three worst aspects from last year. Scheme (OC), QB, and offensive line. 

This will help our defense too. 

This is a 10+ win team.

I'd feel better about your prediction if we had a different Head Coach.

2 hours ago, SCO96 said:

I'd feel better about your prediction if we had a different Head Coach.

I understand. The whole point is to win, and he hasn’t done it. 

I think perception of him changes with wins though. He’s easy to poo on now, but I think he would be viewed as “likeable” if we had more W’s than L’s. 

The refreshing thing about this off-season, is that we had glaring holes at QB, offensive line, and various coaching spots, and all have been addressed in major ways.

Suffering through years and years of ignoring obvious needs was infuriating, when sometimes doing the obvious things and not outthinking yourself is actually the right move. 

Could be more Fitts than Rhule, but without being in the room, it’s hard to know who is most influential. 

• Pie 2