• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Person says the Panthers will win this one

ladypanther

I just hope Baker plays a lot smarter this time. Just for example, it was well known that the Browns had huge DEs who were tall and great at pass rushing, but not a good interior pass rush. Yet Baker would leave the pocket for no reason and put himself fact to face with the Browns DEs on the run. Really dumb. Like brain dead.

Well now we have the exact opposite situation with the Giants. Their interior pass rush is better than their exterior pass rush. Let's hope Baker acts appropriately in the pocket.

3 minutes ago, pantherj said:

I just hope Baker plays a lot smarter this time. Just for example, it was well known that the Browns had huge DEs who were tall and great at pass rushing, but not a good interior pass rush. Yet Baker would leave the pocket for no reason and put himself fact to face with the Browns DEs on the run. Really dumb. Like brain dead.

Well now we have the exact opposite situation with the Giants. Their interior pass rush is better than their exterior pass rush. Let's hope Baker acts appropriately in the pocket.

His natural instinct is to bail and throw on the run so it should work more in his favor. He's always better in play action and the Browns knew even though their interior D isn't great forcing him into being a pocket passer exposes his weaknesses. McAdoo should have known that as well and had some less vanilla plays ready. For having 5 Waffle House menus worth of play calls I wasn't that impressed with what he chose to run

15 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

His natural instinct is to bail and throw on the run so it should work more in his favor. He's always better in play action and the Browns knew even though their interior D isn't great forcing him into being a pocket passer exposes his weaknesses. McAdoo should have known that as well and had some less vanilla plays ready. For having 5 Waffle House menus worth of play calls I wasn't that impressed with what he chose to run

Someone should have told Baker not to roll out or scramble because he's 6'1 going up against either 6'4 Pro Bowl mega athlete long arm leaper, or more likely 6'5 Pro Bowl mega athlete long arm leaper. Baker must have been told poop advice. You tell Baker before the game STAY IN THE POCKET. If you feel interior pressure take a step back or two, and THROW THE BALL. I don't know what they told Baker but he ended all the wrong things for a lot of the game.

5 hours ago, ladypanther said:

How do players, good enough to play in the NFL..need to have a practice week emphasizing how to tackle?  Baffles me.  Didn't they cover that stuff in high school?

Tackling is one of those things where there’s a textbook fundamentally sound way that is taught, but it’s almost a lost art. That’s why when someone does perform a textbook tackle, it’s usually praised and emphasized by announcers and coaches. Kuechly was one such player who was universally praised as being a technician when it came to tackling. Otherwise, lots of players still are operating on the fly, going for big hits, etc.

Tackling seems like one of those things that’s so basic that it should be incredibly obvious to anyone who has played football. But just like everything else in football, there’s good technique and bad technique and bad technique often needs to be coached out of people.  “Wrapping up” is one such technique that coaches repeatedly try to drill into their defensive players to learn how to properly tackle.

• Pie 1

In the three re-watches, while you can't see every snap well, you do see quite a few terrible snaps that Mayfield also WAS able to catch and avoid even MORE muffs and fumbles. There seem to be a few that look totally on Mayfield, as well, unless it's a timing issue. 

It was just a high number of terrible Center<>QB exchanges 

14 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Elf shotgun snapping this one into Bakers knees, I think Baker got blamed for it

In my three re-watches, while you can not see every snap well, you do see quite a few terrible snaps that Mayfield also WAS able to catch and avoid even MORE muffs and fumbles. There seem to be a few that look totally on Mayfield, as well, unless it's a timing issue, but the ball was all over the place coming from Elfein.  

• Beer 1

14 minutes ago, AlphabetsEnd said:

In my three re-watches, while you can not see every snap well, you do see quite a few terrible snaps that Mayfield also WAS able to catch and avoid even MORE muffs and fumbles. There seem to be a few that look totally on Mayfield, as well, unless it's a timing issue, but the ball was all over the place coming from Elfein.  

Yeah I saw some knuckleballs, one close up was pretty much sideways by the time they hit Bakers hands

4 hours ago, AlphabetsEnd said:

In the three re-watches, while you can't see every snap well, you do see quite a few terrible snaps that Mayfield also WAS able to catch and avoid even MORE muffs and fumbles. There seem to be a few that look totally on Mayfield, as well, unless it's a timing issue. 

The problem is that all of training camp need d to be the starting OL working together developing chemistry and the starting center developing chemistry with the starting QB.

But no...we had to have a "competition".