• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Diamonds in the rough

Stuart Smith

1 hour ago, ECHornet said:

Shenault’s run after catch was more impressive than all but a handful of plays I’ve seen from DJ since we drafted him. You can be impressed by that performance without anointing him an All-Pro caliber pickup.  

Starting 3 WRs from here out need to be DJ, Robbie and Laviska.  We SHOULD have a deadly passing game with the improved o-line, a weapon like CMC in the backfield for defenses to account for, and 3 legit WRs....but that would also take at least average QB play, which we have not gotten for most of these 3 games.  Hopefully they start to gel a little more and improve.  The potential is definitely there. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, KillerKat said:

Another silent one is maybe Henry Anderson. Defense and ST. I said last week why wasnt he in the middle of the FG blocking unit since he is 6`6. This week they put him there and he blocks a FG. Who woulda thunk?

Yea he has looked solid against the run as advertised since they put him in late in game one.

10 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Anyone thinking Corral could do what Baker is doing now but with upside?

Though the injury prevents us from ever truly knowing.  I think this injury will help him.  He'll be able to watch and learn.  

I do think that he would play better.  He has such a quick release that he won't miss open targets.  

His first preseason game was abysmal while his second game before the injury he played much better.  Given proper reps and a chance to settle down.  I think he would do ok.

At our current pace we'll probably be in the running for a top tier college QB, (Doubt we'll be high enough for Stroud) so we'll never know because we'll probably draft one. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Though the injury prevents us from ever truly knowing.  I think this injury will help him.  He'll be able to watch and learn.  

I do think that he would play better.  He has such a quick release that he won't miss open targets.  

His first preseason game was abysmal while his second game before the injury he played much better.  Given proper reps and a chance to settle down.  I think he would do ok.

At our current pace we'll probably be in the running for a top tier college QB, (Doubt we'll be high enough for Stroud) so we'll never know because we'll probably draft one. 

Yeah getting 2 reps a practice and then getting thrown out there with 3rd-4th string was hard to watch. I think it's better for him to never have anything to do with McAdoo who I can't imagine being here next year despite whether Rhule is or not

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Sorry to say, Corral reminds me of Grier. When you watched him in preseason action, he just didn’t have it. There’s poor decisions and missed throws that happen for rookies but he just looked out of place. Mayfield certainly hasn’t been good but Corral looked lost. I see us going QB in the 1st just like Iky due to terrible results patching the OL. We’ll decide we are done trying to get a cheap win at QB and actually invest. The funny part is that retread/late rookie approach hasn’t been cheap. We’ve given up a 2nd, 3rd, two 4ths and a 6th along with $65M+ cap in 3 years. We basically failed miserably trying to get a low cost turn around to play well and to actually be low cost.

I don't totally disagree, but going from a simple college offense to the NFL and then playing with the 3s he was only going to look but so good. He seems capable of learning and his arm and mechanics look way better than Grier's ever did. 

There was one day in training camp while Baker and Darnold were "competing" and people were asking where Corral was and he was on another field practicing handoffs. He's raw as hell. Lord knows Rhule likes to bring rookies in slow and I don't know that it's such a bad idea for later rounders, but I think this was going to be a redshirt year for him, injury or not. I haven't given up on him yet.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah getting 2 reps a practice and then getting thrown out there with 3rd-4th string was hard to watch. I think it's better for him to never have anything to do with McAdoo who I can't imagine being here next year despite whether Rhule is or not

I had high hopes for McAdoo but after 3 games it's just another in a line of terrible Offensive Coordinators.  It blows my mind that we can never seem to get an OC that has an imagination.

I watch other teams run misdirection plays and plays to keep the defense on their toes while our OC runs the same boring plays over and over.  

The Giants last night ran a play that was successful several times.  Where Jones rolled out to the left and the option of throwing an out pattern or the TE on the inside.  The TE made several catches from this play.  I just wonder why our OC can't come up with plays like this. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

I cannot truly judge Corral for his potential because he was never given the support he needed to showcase what he is capable of. Whether he's a diamond or a lump of coal is undetermined on this team. 

Agreed, I personally think he has the tools and the competitive nature to get better. The "red shirt" mentality of Rhule has really hampered him and us from ever really knowing what we have.

The saddest part of this is, if we do end up in a position to draft one of the top QBs in the draft, we are going to take one.   Basically, wasting a pick in next year's draft.  

Just now, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Agreed, I personally think he has the tools and the competitive nature to get better. The "red shirt" mentality of Rhule has really hampered him and us from ever really knowing what we have.

The saddest part of this is, if we do end up in a position to draft one of the top QBs in the draft, we are going to take one.   Basically, wasting a pick in next year's draft.  

It's not wasting a pick to take a qb unless it's Rhule choosing said qb. We will have only one qb on contract and he has played all of one quarter of preseason football at this level.  We need all the qbs we can get.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It's not wasting a pick to take a qb unless it's Rhule choosing said qb. We will have only one qb on contract and he has played all of one quarter of preseason football at this level.  We need all the qbs we can get.

True, but the idea when we drafted Corral was to draft a starter not a backup.  If we end up taking a QB he is most likely going to start ahead of Corral in the depth chart.   We probably could have used that 2023 3rd round pick on a better position player.   We could have signed an aging vet as a backup.

Though I get your point. 

9 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

True, but the idea when we drafted Corral was to draft a starter not a backup.  If we end up taking a QB he is most likely going to start ahead of Corral in the depth chart.   We probably could have used that 2023 3rd round pick on a better position player.   We could have signed an aging vet as a backup.

Though I get your point. 

We don't know who the starter is going to be. You can't assume whomever we draft starts right away. It's still an open competition for starter in Carolina until one emerges. We are still looking for a starter because Baker ain't it.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 1

11 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

We either need to draft another Qb next year or sign 2 guys in FA either way for next year. Trading away a future pick for Corral because we didn't have our original pick because we traded that for CJ or whoever, that's a whole nother story/issue. It's starting to snowball in a bad way 

Here's a look at the Panthers' 2023 picks.

— Their own first-rounder

— Their own second-rounder

— Their own fourth-rounder

— Their own fifth-rounder

5 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

My brother in Christ, these were the first snaps Shenault has taken all year. We need to pump the breaks about being impressed by his two catch performance lest we anoint him the next GOAT a la David Gettis. He did great with his oppportunities this past game. Way, way, way too early to say I'm impressed with the guy yet.

McCall though, I'll give you that one. Rookie has looked solid so far.

I will always pie a David Gettis callback.