• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What is going on with the QB position the next couple weeks?

GOAT

39 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Well, it won't be pretty, whatever it is. It will be temporary, though.

Strangely enough, I'm interested in seeing Darnold get back out there and give it a try eventually. He's no long term answer, by any stretch of the imagination, but after what we've been watching, he's got to be a bit better.

Next year's QB room is going to be completely different. It has to be.

Well now that we have a real head coach, I would hope we would be smarter as an organization than to start Darnold in anything but an emergency scenario.

He is very clearly the worst QB on our roster. VERY clearly. 

30 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Well now that we have a real head coach, I would hope we would be smarter as an organization than to start Darnold in anything but an emergency scenario.

I'm not so sure about that right now. After what I've seen from the group so far I think that's debatable.  They all suck but the degree of suckage has shifted the balance of power at the position right now. If he starts he will most likely be his normal turnover machine but who knows. He is getting the benefit of not being out there to show that he still sucks. 

• Pie 1

It's going to have to be the PJ show until someone gets healthy.  Will they worry about the 5th rounder for Baker when trying to win?  I don't know.  I know PJ is good for a turnover every 19 pass attempts...

I think they will try to get a few games out of PJ, then try Baker again, and then if he still sucks, trot out old Darnold.  It's going to be a poo show.

I wouldn't invite Cam to this mess, and he won't come for this crap, no matter how much love he has for Wilks or the team.

52 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

We have to look at his competition for worst. Mayfield's body of work right now is about as bad as I've seen QB work in Carolina since Pickles or Weinke. 

But maybe the bad play from Mayfield is on Rhule. But so might the same excuse be there for Darnold.

Let's face it, we aren't going to war next season with either of them leading the squad. Maybe one holds a clipboard here, maybe neither.

But I say give Darnold a spin. Right now it can't hurt us any worse than we already are. If he's good, then heck we get a win to celebrate for once. If he stinks the joint up, then our draft pick will be higher. Win-win -- ish.

2 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm not so sure about that right now. After what I've seen from the group so far I think that's debatable.  They all suck but the degree of suckage has shifted the balance of power at the position right now. If he starts he will most likely be his normal turnover machine but who knows. He is getting the benefit of not being out there to show that he still sucks. 

I am very sure about that. There are four years of tape basically proving it.

2 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

We have to look at his competition for worst. Mayfield's body of work right now is about as bad as I've seen QB work in Carolina since Pickles or Weinke. 

But maybe the bad play from Mayfield is on Rhule. But so might the same excuse be there for Darnold.

Let's face it, we aren't going to war next season with either of them leading the squad. Maybe one holds a clipboard here, maybe neither.

But I say give Darnold a spin. Right now it can't hurt us any worse than we already are. If he's good, then heck we get a win to celebrate for once. If he stinks the joint up, then our draft pick will be higher. Win-win -- ish.

I have seen the same games and I still don't want to see Darnold again. At least Mayfield honestly has some good play on tape in previous years to give some sense of false hope. Darnold has almost nothing.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I am very sure about that. There are four years of tape basically proving it.

So did Baker who had better tape. I think the blind hate clouds some folks vision when it comes to this. But in the end the result will be the same. I warned all of you.

2 hours ago, d-dave said:

I think they will try to get a few games out of PJ, then try Baker again, and then if he still sucks, trot out old Darnold.  It's going to be a poo show.

They may put Baker out there again but IMO they are going to keep him under 70% of the team's snaps. There is no need is giving up a 4th round pick for him when we can get away with a 5th rounder if he plays less than 70% of the snaps. 

Wouldn't it be a great story if Eason started and actually looked good.  He also has pedigree at the QB position as he is the son of Tony Eason who was one of the 6 QBs taken in the famous 1983 draft class.

At 6'7" he definitely won't get as many passes batted down.  He might already be better than PJ, who IMO, is only on the roster because of Rhule's love for his former players. 

12 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

So did Baker who had better tape. I think the blind hate clouds some folks vision when it comes to this. But in the end the result will be the same. I warned all of you.

Oh the results are likely to be similar no matter what we do. Our path is probably pretty secure for 2022.

I have no blind hatred for Darnold. I just know and knew he was not an NFL QB or even capable of being one. He showed that in NY and confirmed without a doubt that fact here in Carolina. 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Wouldn't it be a great story if Eason started and actually looked good.  He also has pedigree at the QB position as he is the son of Tony Eason who was one of the 6 QBs taken in the famous 1983 draft class.

At 6'7" he definitely won't get as many passes batted down.  He might already be better than PJ, who IMO, is only on the roster because of Rhule's love for his former players. 

The short = passes batted is a goofy thing to quote. The 2nd and 3rd highest batted passes guys in the NFL currently are both 6-5+.