• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could someone give an actual explanation on what makes Tepper such a bad owner other than hiring a bad HC which a ton of other owners also do?!

panthersgreenville

I like how a few of the bad things he's done "aren't a big deal" and are just swept under the rug.

So he's had a terrible record since he bought the team (0 home wins in December and only 23 wins total lol), can't hire worth a damn, alienated both the Carolinas and has no interest in doing anything but scamming people? I mean, those are all minor things, right?

2 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

Contrary to what he said yesterday this team is regressing badly during his and Rhules tenure, not making progress.

Yes that is what happens when you have a horrible HC. We've been on a downward slide since 2017. Tepper made a bad hire, let's hope he has learned and gets the right guy this time. 

1 minute ago, Carl Spackler said:

I like how a few of the bad things he's done "aren't a big deal" and are just swept under the rug.

So he's had a terrible record since he bought the team (0 home wins in December and only 23 wins total lol), can't hire worth a damn, alienated both the Carolinas and has no interest in doing anything but scamming people? I mean, those are all minor things, right?

Your entire post is subjective except for the wins stat lol

Just now, Paa Langfart said:

LOL, You act like he had nothing to do with Rhule being hired.

Ah yes, the post where I literally said he made a bad hire and hopefully he has learned from it and gets it right this time.... Totally me acting like he didn't hire Rhule. Read man, read. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Simple answer: He trusts the wrong people.

He doesn't know jack sh-t about football himself, which would be okay if he surrounded himself with people who do.

Instead, he's trusted Marty Hurney, Matt Rhule and apparently Steven Drummond.

To be honest, this is why I'm surprised people hate him so much.

When he bought the team, everyone knew he wasn't a football guy and was afraid he would still be like a Dan Snyder owner by having their hand in everything, but he hasn't been close to that, he's been very hands off.

Yes, he's trusted the wrong people, but that happens in all businesses sometimes, but it always happens in football, sometimes you just make a bad hire.  But even after all that, he still wasn't stepping in and making the football decisions like some owners, he was trying to sit back and let his football people do their thing.

I know it sucks to see our team hurt by his inexperience and trusting of the wrong people, but I'm at least encouraged by his hands off approach and hopefully the next group of people he hires as GM, Coach, etc, are a better group and it gives us different results.  But as an owner of the team, I really can't fault much he's done so far other than hiring the wrong staff, and that happens, really the only thing for me is that he allowed Keep Pounding to take a backseat, that one is bad.

Edited by tukafan21

50 minutes ago, emcannon said:

He has a northern accent and the good ol boys don't like it. Something something JR was one of us something something.

Lol I unironically fall into this camp a bit. 

But here are a few bullet points on where Tepper has rubbed me the wrong way mostly in chronological order

• Came in with a "this place has been bad and I am the savior" attitude with little to no respect for team history or traditions (and no ties to this area and it's culture as you pointed out) But he sure talked a big game about how mediocre we had been and how he wouldn't accept that.
  • Really thinks he's smarter than everyone and is gonna throw his money around to fix everything
  • Decides to blow up the team, which is a decision I think was fine, but follows that up by hiring Rhule, kicking Cam out the door, and losing people like Luke from the orginization
  • We then decide maybe the team just needs retooling and not rebuilding and thinks we can find some journeyman QB to come in here and perform (and don't tell me he wasn't signing off on those decisions after his talk about getting GM/Coach/QB right)
  • Then they tried to minimize keep pounding
  • Then the soccer team became his main focus, which I thought was cool to gain for the city at first, but after a full season it has turned into us sharing out stadium with them like some sort of new step sibling. There are parts of the stadium with more FC branding than Panthers including the team store
  • We also have to share the sports radio with the soccer team (not entirely Tepper to blame here). The WFNZ pregame wasn't even before the game this weekend because of the soccer broadcast. The Panthers should not be playing second fiddle to a soccer team in any capacity
  • Even worse the combination of the soccer team and Teppers need to squeeze every dime out of BoA by hosing concerts meant they decided to get rid of our real grass in favor of turf. I'll remind you that turf was composed of dirt from every county of North and South Carolina, a symbolic gesture I'm sure Tepper finds silly as he again has no ties to the area. 
  • He's also too stupid to realize we have perfect fall football weather that SHOULD lend itself to a beautiful grass field in a classic style outdoor stadium. REAL football, played rain or shine, on real grass, outside (I'm sure he'll be clamoring for a dome before long)
  • Then there's the Rock Hill debacle which I won't type out here
  • During all that the Panthers proceeded to do worse than before leading to one of the worst 3 season stretches in franchise history. We've won 5 home games in 2.25 years, the crowds are a shadow of what they one were (and that's for a franchise where we've always complained of whine and cheese and transplant fans! Somehow he made that worse!) and we came into the season ranked dead last and appear to be just that
  • Decided to keep Rhule for a third season when everyone knew this experiment was over
  • Proceeds to bend over backwards to try and get Deshaun Watson as the new face of our franchise, caring nothing about how that would impact "The Brand". A franchise he only owns because the previous owner was accused of sexual improprieties that paled in comparison to what Watson is accused of doing and makes the whole operation of Richardson's ousting look not just disingenuous but downright suspect on behalf of the league in trying to find Tepper a franchise to buy
  • That lead to a real low point for the franchise in my opinion in the game we were supposed to be honoring Sam Mills against Arizona. We're there to Honor the man who so much of the actual culture of this team is built around, we even get a Mill's esque pick six by a linebacker as if his spirit is still there in that stadium somehow, and we turn in one of the most impotent offensive performances we've seen from anyone not named Jimmy Clausen and lose in embarrassing fashion
  • Then to top it all off after finally firing Rhule Tepper comes out all agitated and saying insane things like "Charlotte never had music before" AS IF we were some backwater hick town before he got here and no one had ever been able to see a concert before he graced us with stadium shows. 

TLDR version

Tepper thinks he's smarter than everyone, especially a tiny redneck city like Charlotte (in his eyes) and spends three years caring about everything accept doing the hard work of a real rebuild of this franchise that has us in a worse position than we were when he got here, and he has the gall to be agitated about people questioning him

• Pie 2

The things that stick out:

- Did not fire Hurney and Ron together.  Set us back to where we are right now.  “Greatest evaluator of college talent,” anyone?

- Replaced grass with turf to save money despite players’ protests, as well as data informing us turf causes more injuries.  So much for analytics.

- Way too hands on in regards to player acquisition.  All the Deshaun rumors about how Tep was foaming at the mouth to get him to come here.  You hired football people for a reason; let them do their job.

- Not firing Rhule at the end of last season.  The writing on the wall was so clear that Helen Keller could’ve read it, yet we’re in for likely another lost season.  

He’s not Dan Snyder, but he looks like a controlling owner who thinks he knows more than he does.  This Rhule experience should humble the man.  He also mentioned he would get consultants for his next hire, so maybe he is turning a corner.  

35 minutes ago, Purrnicious said:

Lol I unironically fall into this camp a bit. 

But here are a few bullet points on where Tepper has rubbed me the wrong way mostly in chronological order

• Came in with a "this place has been bad and I am the savior" attitude with little to no respect for team history or traditions (and no ties to this area and it's culture as you pointed out) But he sure talked a big game about how mediocre we had been and how he wouldn't accept that.
  • Really thinks he's smarter than everyone and is gonna throw his money around to fix everything
  • Decides to blow up the team, which is a decision I think was fine, but follows that up by hiring Rhule, kicking Cam out the door, and losing people like Luke from the orginization
  • We then decide maybe the team just needs retooling and not rebuilding and thinks we can find some journeyman QB to come in here and perform (and don't tell me he wasn't signing off on those decisions after his talk about getting GM/Coach/QB right)
  • Then they tried to minimize keep pounding
  • Then the soccer team became his main focus, which I thought was cool to gain for the city at first, but after a full season it has turned into us sharing out stadium with them like some sort of new step sibling. There are parts of the stadium with more FC branding than Panthers including the team store
  • We also have to share the sports radio with the soccer team (not entirely Tepper to blame here). The WFNZ pregame wasn't even before the game this weekend because of the soccer broadcast. The Panthers should not be playing second fiddle to a soccer team in any capacity
  • Even worse the combination of the soccer team and Teppers need to squeeze every dime out of BoA by hosing concerts meant they decided to get rid of our real grass in favor of turf. I'll remind you that turf was composed of dirt from every county of North and South Carolina, a symbolic gesture I'm sure Tepper finds silly as he again has no ties to the area. 
  • He's also too stupid to realize we have perfect fall football weather that SHOULD lend itself to a beautiful grass field in a classic style outdoor stadium. REAL football, played rain or shine, on real grass, outside (I'm sure he'll be clamoring for a dome before long)
  • Then there's the Rock Hill debacle which I won't type out here
  • During all that the Panthers proceeded to do worse than before leading to one of the worst 3 season stretches in franchise history. We've won 5 home games in 2.25 years, the crowds are a shadow of what they one were (and that's for a franchise where we've always complained of whine and cheese and transplant fans! Somehow he made that worse!) and we came into the season ranked dead last and appear to be just that
  • Decided to keep Rhule for a third season when everyone knew this experiment was over
  • Proceeds to bend over backwards to try and get Deshaun Watson as the new face of our franchise, caring nothing about how that would impact "The Brand". A franchise he only owns because the previous owner was accused of sexual improprieties that paled in comparison to what Watson is accused of doing and makes the whole operation of Richardson's ousting look not just disingenuous but downright suspect on behalf of the league in trying to find Tepper a franchise to buy
  • That lead to a real low point for the franchise in my opinion in the game we were supposed to be honoring Sam Mills against Arizona. We're there to Honor the man who so much of the actual culture of this team is built around, we even get a Mill's esque pick six by a linebacker as if his spirit is still there in that stadium somehow, and we turn in one of the most impotent offensive performances we've seen from anyone not named Jimmy Clausen and lose in embarrassing fashion
  • Then to top it all off after finally firing Rhule Tepper comes out all agitated and saying insane things like "Charlotte never had music before" AS IF we were some backwater hick town before he got here and no one had ever been able to see a concert before he graced us with stadium shows. 

TLDR version

Tepper thinks he's smarter than everyone, especially a tiny redneck city like Charlotte (in his eyes) and spends three years caring about everything accept doing the hard work of a real rebuild of this franchise that has us in a worse position than we were when he got here, and he has the gall to be agitated about people questioning him

spacer.png