• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB Showcase: The Non-Stroud/Young/Levis Crowd

saX man

3 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

I absolutely love Cam Ward and if we fall out of the top 10 he should 100% be our target.

Not trying to show my bias, but me as well.

My personal board:

1A/B. Young/Stroud

2. Ward

3. Levis

Ward has the star potential that I just don't see as much with Levis.  Levis is a box checker and has some really solid moments, but I personally see shakiness from the dude so far.  Although, the scout world views him highly for a reason.  

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, saX man said:

I believe we've hit a good year for a reset.  I know there are knocks on Young's height (love everything else), CJ's school of origin (love everything else), and Levis' shakiness in crunch time, but the three of those are above what we were looking at with that DAMNNNN awful draft class last year.  There is at an absolute minimum 3 QBs with first round grades.  CJ Stroud, Bryce Young, Will Levis.

Now is the time where you'll see mocks around the web getting cute, major risers, fallers, it's already happened.  CF is in full swing, mid season.  Richardson and Van Dyke started with tremendous expectations and have fallen off big time.  And now Hooker and Ward are starting to pop up in some 1st rounds.   Big time stuff.  

SomberAfraidGlobefish-max-1mb.gif

So guys going in all directions, and dare I say, there are some with legitimate first round appeal.  Now the question is, who will the casuals and non-scouts unnecessarily hype up when it's really a Carson Strong type situation? And vice versa, who are they keen on that we aren't as privy to? 

Let's take a look and assess:

Cameron Ward 

6'2 220 Washington State, will be 20 Y/O on draft day

KGLROOOQJZHCPEDUCFUZ7ILCBM.jpg

Mega hyped out of HS, young, tons of potential & has been super fun to watch this year.  Scouts have been following him for a while.  Balled out against Oregon until a fatal final GW drive INT after a near flawless performance.  He is the type of guy able to make the flicker side throws and have the subtle improvisation skills you see with Allen/Mahomes.  By no means am I straight line comparing though. Strong arm, good on his feet, and is just relentless.  Good frame, doesn't have any physical growth concerns/conditioning needs AT ALL.   My favorite trait is his unflinching ability in the pocket and sense of awareness.  Avoids a lot of sacks with his timing and decision making.  He glides around and is just sneaky in the pocket.  Consistently finds 7-10 yard throws that many guys would not get.  

Currently hitting just north of 67% on the year.  Only concern is that he hasn't shown his clutch gene yet, but man, there's definitely potential.

Sax Take: Top-18, R1

Grayson McCall

6'3 215 Coastal Carolina, from Indian Trail, NC, will be 22 y/o on draft day

FXKnETaXEAARUU8?format=jpg&name=large

Currently chucking the foozball at near 70% at 10 YPA.  Lesser competition no doubt, but that is a really stellar line right there.  And honestly, I've tuned in a few times and he's not just finding wide open guys in the seams and downfield.  He's peppering all over, but to be honest has a slightly above average arm with some accuracy issues to his sides.  He reminds me of a better version of James Morgan who was drafted to the Jets and floated on our PS the other year.  He may be more of what I thought Morgan would become. Not seeing a ton of buzz on him but I do wonder what NFL scouts are thinking.  I don't see any major flaws but this is the type that can be easy to overhype and may just be viewed as a mid rounder.  69 TDs to 7 INTs in his career, quicker 4.6 40-type.  I do see a lot to like, but there's nothing that makes him super jump out.  

Sax Take: Round 2-3

Hendon Hooker

6'4 218 Tennessee (5-yr Hokie transfer), will be 25 y/o on draft day

17160067.jpeg

Here's the latest bretheren to boom out of nowhere this season.  Always looked the part at VT but that team and program did him no favors.  Now a Volunteer, he is rocking this season.  Not being asked to do a ton that is asked of NFL QBs, a bit watered down system but he is dynamic.  He straight up willed the team to the PITT win and has been dominating teams ever since.  He's risen to a near 1st rounder but with his age, he needs to be ready to rock year 1.  He's only a few months younger than Sam Darnold lol. 

Sax Take: Round 1-Top of Round 2

Michel Penix Jr.

6'3 223, Washington, a month shy of 23 on draft day. 

LEFTY ALERT

usa_today_19022400.0.jpg

64% 8.8 YAC right now, which is less than ideal but he goes downfield a TON.  He simply has a cannon and has the build.  Also has stretches where the timing on his throws is just elite level.  But he's inconsistent, he'll look like Mahomes and the next second Kellen Mond.  Has bloomed and revitalized a potentially gone football career.  Started off hot, has cooled a tad, but isn't completely screwing up.  Some time to go this year and he really does have a lot of potential.

Sax Take: Could be as high as a mid R1, low as R4

Tanner McKee

6'6 228, will be right near 23 y/o on draft day.

Tanner_McKee_4781.JPG

Pros: Size, decision making, accuracy, and arm.  Notable con: Mobility, although, I've seen him play and he's quicker than Kirk Cousins and some current QBs.  Seems to have Burrow type speed but is so big, he's like this planted dinosaur surgeon of a human in the pocket with super good accuracy.  Scouts really like this kid but he will simply not create anything on the ground.  Slightly better Davis Mills---oh and look at that same program lol.

Sax Take: Round 3-5

Notable, but I have bigger concerns about:

Jaren Hall: Durability concerns, age concerns (25 on draft day), but he checks a lot of boxes.  May become kind of bland in the NFL though with what he offers.  Think B. Zach Wilson or Brian Hoyer.  He's a tad small too so he needs something more to really show at this point.  Just not buying him.  Doesn't have the feel I see when you watch other undersized like Bryce. Round 4-5

Project with Potential:

Phil Jurkovec: Size, Athleticism, Dual-Threat with an arm.  Needs better mechanics and QB coaching.  Really poor accuracy this year, close to a hard no.  Awful VT loss. 6th Rd-UDFA

College Return:

Anthony Richardson: Needs to get used to this QB thing a bit longer

Nos:

Spencer Rattler: Have never liked him much.  First time he was underhyped going into a season and he's been aight, nothing special

KJ Jefferson: Way too undisciplined as a QB for the NFL.  

Leary: I like him somewhat but he can't stay healthy

Tyler Van Dyke: Sorry man, but what happened?

Sam Hartman: Arm 😞

Will Rogers: Arm 😞

In regards to McCall I think you are way off.  His accuracy and ability to throw off platform is top notch.  The knock that I have read before the season is he didnt have the strength to push the ball downfield but they are doing that in the games I have watched.  Will be interesting once the dust settles on what the scouts think.

I still stand by my theory that the new staff will pick richardson around pick 5

Edited by mrcompletely11

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

In regards to McCall I think you are way off.  His accuracy and ability to throw off platform is top notch.  The knock that I have before the season is he didnt have the strength to push the ball downfield but they are doing that in the games I have watched.  Will be interesting once the dust settles on what the scouts think.

I still stand by my theory that the new staff will pick richardson around pick 5

Overall accuracy is definitely strong but I've seen him sail throws to the sideline; though there not easy ones, he tries to make tough throws which is good.