• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Second Season: Players we may see again/or for the first time

saX man

I'm not saying the season is lost, it is still early and we've got the XFGOAT leading the charge.

Howeeevva..I do declare that there may be a few I have a yearning to see

i-do-declare-michael-scott.gif

Who may those guys be? (in no particular order)

CJ Saunders

fc47ee11890140d499d75f5c905a9482-e166205

But we've got Marshall, Shi, Shenault, Higgins & company to watch and hopefully break out right? Well, you know, Marshall can't seem to find the field, Shenault is banged up, there's rumors we may ship Robbie/y.  I mean, I can totally see Sanders creeping back into the mix off the PS sometime soon.  I can totally see this happening.

Bradley Bozeman C/LG

812139664cea4177af1a249af23c7931-e164965

Does the highly regarding FA signing come out of the shadows? Elf played okay until this past week and was awful/his old self--Rhule is now gone, and we've got a youthful, well respected 3 year starter for the Ravens sitting on the bench.  Not to mention, Brady has unfortunately been struggling at LG so that's another spot he could work his way into.  And I by no means want to sit Brady C., but his best spot for us may be a swing lineman that primarily is our LT backup.  It is time...

Brandon Smith LB

GettyImages-1240725136-e1656604515579.jp

I'm personally still excited about Smith.  He looked really fun in preseason and has been banged up.  Was set to make an impact but injuries.  Not to mention, Wilson, Luvu and Shaq are all securely in front of him.  However, his speed and athleticism could come into play and we may not be playing all these ridiculous 3-3-5, 3-2-6 type schemes anymore.  Maybe we get him involved more if/once healthy.  

Keith Taylor CB

1348705656-850x560.jpeg

I don't have any particular reason other than the flashes I saw from his rookie year, but I really do like this kid and want to see more of him.  CBs have been a bit beaten up, Horn is hopefully healthy, but if CJ continues to struggle and Donte is banged up, Keith is going to be getting a lot more snaps and soon.

I think these 4 will be brought into the fold sooner than later.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 2

TMJ belongs on that list because we’ve only seen him once really. Just keep him in the game and see what he can do. I’d love to ship Robbie/y off for something and use TMJ as a younger, cheaper, and better option at WR opposite DJ Moore. Then you can use Shy Smith in the slot. Boom. 

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

There has been a ton of chatter on these boards about so-and-so player only having a roster spot or a starting position because of Rhule favoritism, so I guess we'll find out soon if there is validity to that.  I suspect people are going to be in for a rude awakening when there is relatively minimal change to the roster under Wilks.

Edited by MasterAwesome
  • Pie 3

Just now, MasterAwesome said:

There has been a ton of chatter on these boards about so-and-so player only having a roster spot or a starting position because of Rhule favoritism, so I guess we'll find out soon if there is validity to that.  I suspect people are going to be in for a rude awakening when there is relatively minimal changes to the roster under Wilks.

Bozeman will be the most telling.  If he doesn't get out there after more struggles either from Brady or Elf, then there's more to it.  You don't have the resume he does and then just turn into a Charlotte benchwarmer.

Just now, saX man said:

Bozeman will be the most telling.  If he doesn't get out there after more struggles either from Brady or Elf, then there's more to it.  You don't have the resume he does and then just turn into a Charlotte benchwarmer.

Bozeman is such a confusing case.  He seems to be super highly touted not only on these boards, but by fairly reputable publications who had him rated highly in their list of top FAs in the offseason.  But at the same time, money talks...and Bozeman was signed on a relatively dirt-cheap one-year deal that is consistent with more of a "prove it" type year.  That contract does not exactly scream "above average young starter o-lineman".

1 minute ago, MasterAwesome said:

Bozeman is such a confusing case.  He seems to be super highly touted not only on these boards, but by fairly reputable publications who had him rated highly in their list of top FAs in the offseason.  But at the same time, money talks...and Bozeman was signed on a relatively dirt-cheap one-year deal that is consistent with more of a "prove it" type year.  That contract does not exactly scream "above average young starter o-lineman".

Well if Bozeman isn't even given a chance, you can be sure he won't be signing another contract and we are back to a below average starter and poo backup.  The guy was a 3 year starter on a good line and hasn't played a snap. There is more to the story because his tape says he is better player than Elf. 

We don't need "above average".  Average would do.  Not a liability would do.  Able to call right protections would do.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, gofightwin said:

Well if Bozeman isn't even given a chance, you can be sure he won't be signing another contract and we are back to a below average starter and poo backup.  The guy was a 3 year starter on a good line and hasn't played a snap. There is more to the story because his tape says he is better player than Elf. 

We don't need "above average".  Average would do.  Not a liability would do.  Able to call right protections would do.

I'm all for upgrading the line-up at any position, Center included.  I'd disagree however that Elflein has been a liability this season; I think he has played pretty well for the most part and is more a victim of his reputation rather than his performance on the field.  It's tricky with o-line because that unit benefits immensely from continuity, so that's not a position you toy with later in the season if they've been performing well together, which I think most people would agree that they have.  Unless there truly is a clear liability on that line, which I guess is where we disagree.  But it's often not as simple as replacing a decent C with potentially a slightly better C and then seeing immediate improvement, especially with C being the most cerebral position who, as you pointed out, is tasked with calling protections.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, saX man said:

If Rhule truly was the only reason Elf was playing, Bozeman should be out there this Sunday.  PJ has more practice snaps with Bozeman than Elf and the QB/Center connection is crucial.  If there was ever a time to make the switch, its this week.

1 hour ago, MasterAwesome said:

I'm all for upgrading the line-up at any position, Center included.  I'd disagree however that Elflein has been a liability this season; I think he has played pretty well for the most part and is more a victim of his reputation rather than his performance on the field.  It's tricky with o-line because that unit benefits immensely from continuity, so that's not a position you toy with later in the season if they've been performing well together, which I think most people would agree that they have.  Unless there truly is a clear liability on that line, which I guess is where we disagree.  But it's often not as simple as replacing a decent C with potentially a slightly better C and then seeing immediate improvement, especially with C being the most cerebral position who, as you pointed out, is tasked with calling protections.

The fumbled snaps have been a problem and at least a couple were clearly bad snaps.  It could be argued that a bad snap played a role in us failing to put the Cleveland game away.

3 hours ago, poundaway said:

The fumbled snaps have been a problem and at least a couple were clearly bad snaps.  It could be argued that a bad snap played a role in us failing to put the Cleveland game away.

Yeah I still don't recall getting closure as far as how many of those were bad snaps vs. mishandles by Baker.  I know someone posted one of them that was clearly a low snap in Shotgun, but also that PFF credited 4 of them to Baker and 1 of them to Elflein.  Regardless, I think the snap mishaps were pretty much resolved after Game 1.  I can only recall 1 fumbled snap since then, which I think was Week 2 or 3?  I could be wrong.  So I don't put a lot of weight into the fumbled snaps now that we're in Week 6, much like I don't put a lot of weight in Icky's struggles in the first few games when I think about the current state of our o-line.

5 hours ago, DFive said:

TMJ belongs on that list because we’ve only seen him once really. Just keep him in the game and see what he can do. I’d love to ship Robbie/y off for something and use TMJ as a younger, cheaper, and better option at WR opposite DJ Moore. Then you can use Shy Smith in the slot. Boom. 

I can not be the only that seen TMJ and as like "Hollllly leee fug, whos the TE?!?!?!"

He may catch for poo, but looks like a madden custom player...

CJ Saunders.... wasn't this guy running with the 1st team in training camp? How do you go from there to not even making the 53? Injuries?? 

Speaking of WR, I wouldn't be against Preston William's getting a couple redzone plays. 

Others I'd like to see at some point:

Bozeman ofcourse

Marquis Blair...maybe Kenny Robinson. (Just not a fan of Burris) 

Tae Hayes (Immediate upgrade over Henderson) 

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, ColumbusCounty said:

CJ Saunders.... wasn't this guy running with the 1st team in training camp? How do you go from there to not even making the 53? Injuries?? 

Speaking of WR, I wouldn't be against Preston William's getting a couple redzone plays. 

Others I'd like to see at some point:

Bozeman ofcourse

Marquis Blair...maybe Kenny Robinson. (Just not a fan of Burris) 

Tae Hayes (Immediate upgrade over Henderson) 

Yeah not big on Saunders

Bozeman for the run game. Kenny Robinson because I think Rhule just didn't like the guy, he always looks good in preseason. Forgot about Preston Williams, Tae Hayes and Keith Taylor I think should get snaps/more snaps